Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I always thought Elvis was just sort of jabbing "bands" in general. He was just himself, no phoniness or fluff or fancy made up names. He WAS Elvis!!!

That's how I saw it. It was 1968 and the counterculture was producing some pretty zany band names (Electric Toilet, Strawberry Alarm Clock, etc). So I just thought he was razzing the kids "yeah, I like the new stuff... The Beatles. The Beards. Whoever."

:laugh:

2. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Sweetheart of the Rodeo strikes me as something Elvis might have in his collection.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm not so sure Elvis would have been into Sweetheart of the Rodeo. In particular, I don't think he would have liked the Dylan songs much, and he probably would have thought the Haggard, Jones, and Louvin covers paled in comparison to the originals (which frankly, they do). He might have liked "Hickory Wind" though. But I get the impression his listening habits were dictated by what was on the radio (either country or top 40) and in 1968 nobody was playing new Byrds stuff on the radio, so I doubt he ever heard Sweetheart. Marty Lacker's comments about how Elvis felt about the Box Tops (he liked "The Letter" but never listened to their albums or talked about them beyond that) probably also apply to the Byrds. I would bet he liked their hit singles but wasn't really aware of them or listening to them beyond that.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've personally only seen pictures of his 45s collection, are there pics of any album collection ?

5. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Wow. I enjoyed FTD's Return to Vegas. I really dig the larger packaging. My first FTD product and I'm hooked.

Elvis' singing is sublime. "Mystery Train" is haunting, although I could have done w/o the band's "train" sounds. The only sour note for me was "Hey, Jude." Even my wife noticed its jarring nature. But those minor quibbles aside, I have never heard his voice sound so good and his emotion and sincerity so out front and present.

So - please convince me why I need the FTD From Elvis in Memphis. I have the CD w/ bonus tracks (circa 2000?) and an original RCA LP. Is there added reverb/smear on the CD? I love my original pressing RCA LP, BTW. Sounds way better than the CD. What's special about the FTD version?

Clanceman and Mr. H like this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

What happened is Keith's involvement in this: Ultimate Elvis.

I'm sure his co-authors wouldn't like him giving away the info for free - almost as much as I don't like the premium I now have to pay for that formerly free info.

7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Ohhhh... I figured it was something like this. At that price point, I don't think it'll be on my shopping list anytime soon. Too bad.

8. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

He did like Dylan enough to do a home recording of "Blowin' in The Wind" and an informal studio between takes of "I Shall Be Released" , plus "Dont Think Twice It's All Right" studio jam that wound up on the Elvis (Fool) album in 1973.

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Don't forget he recorded Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

JLGB, JimC and heatherly like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't think Elvis was "jabbing" bands; rather, I think he was trying to nonchalantly sound informed and hip about contemporary music.

11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

No, as I already posted, and per KF on the FECC board, Keith Flynn's site is undergoing maintenance, unrelated to his book project.

heatherly likes this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I wasn't meaning to suggest he disliked Dylan's work in general, just that sone of the more surrealistic or silly Dylan lyrics would probably not appeal to him. The Dylan songs he covered or informally jammed all had straightforward lyrics.

JLGB, Mr. H and artfromtex like this.
  13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Just a coincidence then - he's co-author of a very expensive forthcoming book containing large chunks of information hitherto available free on his site and he chooses now to take it down for "maintenance". Who wouldn't believe that.......

RoyalScam likes this.
  14. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I figure it's his years of research that have gone into it, why shouldn't he make a buck? I'd love to own the book but I can't afford it and the one thing on my Wishlist is the TTWII set. Maybe I can get a copy if it's still available next year.

artfromtex likes this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I didn't take your post to mean that he disliked Dylan's work. I was just adding to the list by the previous poster.

FWIW I would agree with your suggestion about his feelings toward those songs.

16. PacificOceanBlue

Well, for one thing, the majority of the late-90's/early-00's BMG reissues contain inferior mastering done by Dennis Ferrante. The "bonus" tracks are a couple of singles from the American sessions. If you have an original vinyl pressing, that is certainly a go-to version. That said, the FTD edition contains the finest CD mastering of the material in addition to a compelling sequencing of choice outtake performances from the sessions. The FTD release of From Elvis In Memphis is an essential Elvis Presley release.

17. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Thanks.

Mr. H likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Because you obviously love this album as much as I do. Ironically, I've been playing my FTD for the last 24 hours !
    You get so much more of those sessions for the price, it really is a no-brainer.

You also need the Legacy Edition, if for nothing else, the 10 mono single mixes that sound as great as the 45s !

BTW, I have these, plus a beautiful vinyl copy as well.

http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/60/From_Elvis_in_Memphis/default.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Memphis...8577170&sr=1-1&keywords=from+elvis+in+memphis

19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Could not agree more with Myke and PacificOceanBlue in regards to the FTD FEIM. Absolutely essential listening for Elvis fans. The sessions are so much fun to listen to.

artfromtex and Myke like this.
  20. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Did he ever! That's a favorite Elvis track of mine.

Daniel Plainview and Mr. H like this.
  21. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Maybe, as we're supposed to believe, that he was feeling the need to "comeback." But I don't buy the idea that that exact sentiment was structurally all that deep in Elvis' heart.

I don't think Elvis felt the need to "comeback" -- or believed that this was his "chance" -- since I feel Elvis' spirit was pushing, living in his moment, doing what inspired him.

I think this remark had to be humor. Otherwise, he would have made it more clear.

22. PacificOceanBlue

He was given a loose script to follow. Clearly Steve Binder wanted to capture Elvis talking about his philosophy on the roots of rock and roll. Elvis may not have been focusing on a "comeback" per se, but Binder was trying to present an artist that was in touch and still relevant. That scene with Elvis talking about "new" music and the roots of rock and roll music was very much directed.

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Sounds like I need more FEIM, FTD and Legacy. Thanks for the push.

hodgo, artfromtex and Myke like this.
  24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I would highly recommend the other American Sound releases on FTD, Back To Memphis, and At American Sound.

25. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. It is an essential trilogy of releases.

hodgo, JimC, artfromtex and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.