Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Info came out a few months ago that FLAMING STAR was in the pipe line.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Makes sense since the Blu ray will be out Nov. 11th.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Apparently, rumors persist that "Flaming Star" and "This Is Elvis" may comprise of the December releases. With FTD, one never knows.

4. MEMPHISSUN

May 2014 ...
    CD Projects from FTD Include:
    Expanded version of "Flaming Star"
    1965 Album "Elvis For Everyone"

What will be cut tho?,the music on FTD or the film (See ttwii set). :laugh:

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Giddyup!

[​IMG]

artfromtex and joeislive like this.
  6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Man, "This Is Elvis" would be so cool. I absolutely wore my LP of that out as a kid. Probably the set that I listened to the most along with the MSG LP.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

I have to say that Disc 2 of this most recent FTD release is a pleasant surprise. Clearly, it does not generally contain uniformly strong material, but Elvis is mostly engaged with this lightweight material. Tracks like "No More" (take 9), "Home Is Where The Heart Is" (take 12) and "King Of The Whole Wide World" (take 6) are well performed and worthy additions to the archival catalogue. Disc 1 of this release is less compelling and fairly uneven; although, the SUN era remakes of "Tomorrow Night" and "When It Rains, It Really Pours" are still essential IMO. Overall, this release is somewhat curious and unnecessary, but at the least, it is a nice vehicle for some odds and ends outtake material found on Disc 2.

8. MEMPHISSUN

Most people i have spoken to,and read on EP forums seem to go for CD 2.

The combo of SEB and VIC once again bring these out takes to another level,and i would love some of the movie soundtracks re-done in this A1 sound.

The killer for me is that his vocal was spot on,but not been used out with movie songs and that is very sad,he was on top of his game when it came to singing at those time"s!.

Also one of the worst FTD for mistakes,but that should not take away from the work the engineers seem to get spot on!.

hodgo likes this.
  9. MEMPHISSUN

10. MEMPHISSUN

This 1-disc 7” set features highlights from Elvis’ concerts during April 1975.The performances are taken from Jacksonville (April 25) and Lakeland (April 27/28). The 12-page booklet features great photos by Keith Alverson and memorabilia.

ELVIS IN FLORIDA – APRIL 1975

1) Love Me
    (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
    2) If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    (John Rostill)
    3) Love Me Tender
    (Vera Matson/Elvis Presley)
    4) Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel
    (Kal Mann/Bernie Lowe)/(Otis Blackwell/Elvis Presley)
    5) Help Me
    (Larry Gatlin)
    6) Burning Love
    (Dennis Linde)
    7) Introductions
    [​IMG] School Day
    (Chuck Berry)
    9) My Boy
    (Claude Francois/Jean-Pierre Bourtayre/Bill Martin/Phil Coulter)
    10) T-R-O-U-B-L-E
    (Jerry Chesnut)
    11) I’ll Remember You
    (Kuiokalaani Lee)
    12) Let Me Be There
    (John Rostill)
    13) Why Me Lord
    (Kris Kristofferson)
    14) Hound Dog
    (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
    15) An American Trilogy
    (Mickey Newbury)
    16) Can’t Help Falling In Love
    (Hugo Peretti/Luigi Creatore/George Weiss
    17) Closing Vamp

Tracks: 1-17 recorded live at Civic Center Arena, Lakeland, Florida. April 27, 1975, 8:30 PM show.

BONUS TRACKS

18) You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
    (Vicky Wickham/Simon Napier-Bell/Pino Donaggio/Vito Pallavicini)
    19) Big Boss Man
    (Al Smith/Luther Dixon)
    20) It’s Midnight
    (Billy Edd Wheeler/Jerry Chesnut)
    21) Funny How Time Slips Away
    (Willie Nelson)
    22) That’s All Right
    (Arthur Crudup)
    23) Heartbreak Hotel
    (Tommy Durden/Mae Boren Axton/Elvis Presley)

Tracks 18-23 recorded live at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, Florida. April 25, 1975, 8:30 PM show.

24) Hawaiian Wedding Song
    (Charles King/Al Hoffman/Dick Manning)
    25) Help Me Make It Through The Night
    (Kris Kristofferson)

Tracks 24-25 recorded live at Civic Center Arena, Lakeland, Florida. April 28, 1975, 8:30 PM show.

The opening tracks of “See See Rider” and “I Got A Woman / Amen” were not recorded on any of the Floridian shows during the tour.

Email / Net.

Pants Party likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

Looking forward to seeing the content for "Elvis' Christmas Album." Elvis was on fire during that era. Still, I am skeptical that the content will offer many surprises or even that much outtake material unless the session reels were finally recovered.

The "Elvis In Florida" soundboard release looks pretty underwhelming. Some fans hold 1975 in high regard as a touring year, but I generally find Elvis' 1975 live work to be highly overrated. So, while the track listing has a wide-range of titles (although none really unique), I suspect the vocals will be weak, flat and generally disinterested like many from that era.

12. Myke

How can vocals be disinterested ? Do you mean Elvis was disinterested, so therefore his vocals suffered ?

13. PacificOceanBlue

Vocal execution can reek of disinterest if the artist lacks attention, interest, and is impaired.

14. Myke

I'd never heard it used that way before, but I'll concede I guess.

15. PacificOceanBlue

No need to concede; it was just my way of describing general deficiencies of Elvis' live vocal work post-March 1975.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Barring any recent discoveries (if any), what extras currently exists for Elvis' Christmas Album? Any speculation on what they might include -- especially if this is to be a 2 disc set? I'm thinking it might be a little odd to use some random live 50s material, like what FTD did for Elvis, given this is a holiday themed release. Unless there's some live or TV performances that include these songs -- or possibly a show simply recorded around the holiday season, as a loose "Christmas" tie-in. Or, perhaps like the soundtrack albums, this will be just one disc.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As far as I know, all they've got are several outtakes of "Peace in the Valley" and "It is No Secret" along with binaural versions of the masters of those two tracks. No outtakes of the actual Christmas material are known to survive... the only interesting variant they have from those sessions is "White Christmas" with the slate, chatter, and Elvis count-in unedited from the beginning of the song. Unless they've discovered something else, I sure hope it is a single disc set, because padding it out with live material would make no sense. My guess is that they've been holding out hope they would find something else, but now are throwing in the towel like they did with the second album and just putting out the few meager outtakes they've got along with the original album.

Mr. H and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I'll buy the Christmas Album!!!!

19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I think I'll Pass, Flaming Star & the Florida 75 show hold no interest for me, the Christmas album I would only listen to once a year as I do all Christmas albums, so I'd rather save the money for something else.

heatherly likes this.
  20. MEMPHISSUN

Christmas album is one CD,so that look"s like the gospel tracks are used for the outtakes,and it would be nice to get some thing from STEREO 57,but then again that might be kept back for a re - issue down the line.

FTD have put out 75 soundboards in the past ... i don"t go past 71/72 these day"s but the late years (live) seem to be what FTD have the most off!.Here is what he sounded like in 75 for those who are thinking of getting this disc.

21. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'd buy the Christmas Album if it was packaged like the original US christmas album.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Although I have the mainstream releases, MSG, Aloha & In Memphis, I don't listen to them anymore, for me I'd rather remember him at the peak of his powers so August 1970 is it for me sadly.

mikrt17 likes this.
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Definitely passing on the 75 SB, if you already have the better shows from Vegas in March/early April or on tour in June of that year - you are all set. Flaming Star and "Christmas" I will wait to see the tracklist before pulling the trigger. But as others mentioned, I can't imagine what they could add to (the latter) unless the session tapes magically re-appeared.

JQ

24. MEMPHISSUN

25. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

For not having the 9/5-7/1957 Radio Recorders session reels (mono or binaural), I've wondered how we got that extra bit on the '85 reissue? I can't imagine it was on the album master reel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.