Elvis Presley getting more popular?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jgirar01, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everything I have read indicated that Elvis was declining in popularity. I have just begun to try to understand Elvis music and was looking at ebay and it seems that there are a significant number of people bidding on Elvis records- as many or more than Zeppelin, Dylan, etc. Looked at a download site and noticed the same popularity. Made me wonder who are these people- new fans or old? And if I was looking to start getting into Elvis vinyl where the heck would I start?

Jim

0476pearljam likes this.
  2. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Popularity is a funny old thing, hard to put ones finger on it as the tide changes quickly...
    As for Elvis vinyl, where you start is up to you. Mono originals. Stereo originals. Re-issues. New pressings. I've got a lovely collection of mid to late eighties UK/European pressings which are probably worthless... but boy do I love 'em to bits!

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have seen no evidence to suggest Elvis and his music is getting more popular. Many kids in generation z have no idea who he is, other than perhaps a distant familiarity of the name in popular culture. Sony has done an admirable job reissuing product (in an era where it makes less of an impact due to the demise of traditional, physical retail), and certainly the upcoming HBO documentary will receive promotion, but I suspect most of that product and projects appeal to the established fan-base.

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

ELVIS IS COMING

melstapler likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Why would Elvis get more popular? To who? And why? His music is old. He's dead. He's a cartoony character to most people under 50. A lot of his post-Army music has not aged particularly well.

6. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

More popular than when?

It's all relative, but I assume just more popular than recently, than say, the late 70s.

7. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

One of the (many) weird things about the popular HBO show Big Little Lies was the finale in which all the male characters go to a fundraising costume party dressed in every conceivable incarnation of Elvis—Blue Hawaii-Elvis, Comeback Special-Elvis, Jumpsuit Elvis, etc.

Then some of the stars performed various Elvis songs for the crowd, to rapturous recognition, attention, and applause.

The strange thing was that all these Elvis references were made as if the characters took them to be utterly familiar and instantly recognizable. And it also seemed to suggest that viewers of the show should take them that way too, even if they didn't or couldn't.

Don't know what it says about an Elvis resurgence. Maybe just that the show's creators thought that the idea of Elvis as an abiding common currency was cool.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sounds like you don’t care much for Elvis.

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

More popular than Jesus?????

saborlord123 and Mike Reynolds like this.
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Of the four statements he made, three are factual. They have nothing to with liking or not liking Elvis.

Malina likes this.
  11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sure sounded that way to me. :)

12. It was nice to see A Little Less Conversation used in last week's Saturday Night Live opening monolog.

garyt1957 likes this.
  13. I'd argue that just TWO of the four are "factual" with the other two being highly subjective opinions being expressed by someone who obviously dislikes the music!

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Possibly it's because he just had a birthday?

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I believe Elvis was quite high in the recent Forbes list of entertainers who have passed away.

melstapler and klockwerk like this.
  16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Quite high indeed.

majorlance likes this.
  17. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I teach 5th grade and the majority of my students have no idea who he is. When they did a reading assignment online about music that had some clips of his (Hurt and All Shook Up I believe) many of them giggled at Hurt, especially the intro. Not in their wheelhouse at all. Probably not their parents' either.

a customer and Yovra like this.
  18. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

It sounded that way to me too.

Where to start with Elvis vinyl ? I would start with his sun sides in AAA, so I would buy the sun sessions, 1979 RCA uk records, 1979, NL 42757, (RCA BLUE labels) with boppin bob etched on side one and De lane lea etched on side two...there is a thread somewhere on this forum stating that this one is the best if you want his sun sides in mono on a 33 RPM because the guy who was responsible for producing and mastering it locate the best first generation tapes that were available then...

19. GoatsHeadSoup

GoatsHeadSoup Forum Resident

I imagine people with a general interest in popular music of the last century would take a liking or appreciation of Elvis, considering he was arguably the most iconic and among the most influential artists in all of pop and rock music.

John Lennon is dead and his music is old. Same with Jim Morrison. And Jimi Hendrix. And Michael Jackson. And Kurt Cobain...I could go on...

This is very debatable, and I would argue untrue. Anyone who knows anything about Elvis, his music, and overall importance would not see him in such a way. He has his detractors who focus on the more unflattering aspects of his career, but writing him off as a “cartoony character” reeks of ignorance.

Again, this is rather subjective. I don’t think his music is any more dated than any of his contemporaries, or even compared to some big and influential artists who came after him.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

All it takes is one of his songs to go viral and then lots of young people will like him. The same thing goes for everyone in this day and age.

Suncola and cwitt1980 like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah this is how marketing people think kids find and enjoy music... it isn't.

cdnostalgia and Zach Johnson like this.
  22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Tell that to Journey.

23. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Maybe Miley Cyrus had something to do with it... ;)

Seriously, though, plenty of under-40 women love Elvis. Was just talking to a young woman today about Elvis....and she brought him up. Getting more popular? Maybe not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Even if you take away the music, Elvis' status as an icon of 20th Century Americana hasn't left us yet. His story is almost Shakespearean and I am moderately confident that there will be interest in Elvis Presley as a human study for many years.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Hmm depends on what three you see as factual. There are two that are 100% factual since he is in fact dead and he did record long ago so yes his music is old.

What's your third then? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.