Elvis Presley getting more popular?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jgirar01, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The "average joe" in 100 yrs will probably prove "Idiocracy" to be a documentary.

Timmy84 and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

3. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Idiocracy is a documentary. It didn't take anywhere near a century.

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Nope, none of that.
    And I'm way past the point of being mistaken for a 3-year-old — or even a 35-year-old.

5. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

No comment, but you can pm me And I'll tell you what I really think.

6. John Grimes

It was 8 years ago and eight years ago is only 8 years.

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And yet he's still more popular than Bigfoot. :)

Aftermath likes this.
  8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He is probably not getting more popular. Considering he has been dead for over 40 years, his continued earning power and lasting cultural/musical impact is nothing short of remarkable.

“Whether you’re black or white, young or old, from Moscow, London or Memphis, Elvis Presley will still be the King of Rock and Roll to me.”

garyt1957 and laf848 like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

How about the skinny little kids?

10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

8 years and 1 month if you want to be technical.
    But anything after 5 can be rounded up, that's elementary math, although I would never do so at merely 6 or 7.
    But 8 and 9 is about 10 years.
    Regardless it hasn't been in the last few years.

strummer101 likes this.
  11. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I'm old enough to remember when critics said this about Elvis in 1980, saying by 2000 he'd be forgotten.

Meanwhile few artists have as many titles in print, have as much streaming activity, craziness paying absurd prices to see his house. And I'd bet that between FTD and Sony Legacy few artists have as many annual releases. Then there's the licencing.....

laf848 and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  12. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

14,213,693 monthly listeners on Spotify as of five minutes ago. More than the Beatles, Bob Dylan, more than double Springsteen.

goodiesguy, Revelator, laf848 and 4 others like this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Well my daughter's 17 year old boyfriend who is both African and Puerto Rican, with his skin tone, thin mustache, slider build and big hair, reminded me of Prince tonight.
    I told him that and he was like "Who's that?"
    Once I showed him his photo he recognized him and had heard of the song Purple Rain.
    But still strange the name Prince meant nothing to him.
    I do know that he had at least heard of the name Elvis.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  14. John Grimes

Ok you win. When do you want you're prize?

15. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

True. The key Presley LPs that were as cheap as chips a couple of years ago on Discogs (which I complacently put off buying till recently) are going for higher prices now. I've been trying to plug the gaps in my collection and was floored by the increased cost of getting hold of the best stuff, as recommended by the good people of this forum.

Long-term Presley fans probably wouldn't necessarily be aware because they've already got the stuff.

16. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

It beggars belief that anyone would play 'Hurt' to a class of 10-11 year olds as being representative of Elvis' music. You should try 'Jailhouse Rock' and see what kind of reaction you get. I played it for my class and they went crazy!

17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I have a big family. My 4 kids are 18-28 - and I have enough nieces & nephews to form a small city. Sure I have a lot to do with it, so it’s a pretty biased poll...but they all know Elvis.

There are still more Elvis tribute artists than any others.

Graceland is one of the top tourist attractions in the country & just becomes more popular and Elvis Week grows stronger.

Deceased 40 yrs....but one of the few artists in history that could release one of those fake Duet albums tomorrow - & it’ll top the charts.

Urban Outfitters had an Elvis branded clothing campaign a couple of years ago & quickly sold out of the “mugshot” tee.

Last year the Post Office released Elvis stamps.

The King is on a U.S. stamp ....recently.

Crew hair products are featuring him as the spokesperson- his image is on the lid of everyone of their men’s hair products right now. Had my hair cut 2 weeks ago...bought one. I told the gal the only reason I was buying was because Elvis is on the jar. She laughed & said she had a client buy one of each.

I know this isn’t a scientific case study....but I’d say the assertion that Elvis’ popularity is waning - is greatly exaggerated.

goodiesguy, laf848, chaz and 2 others like this.
  18. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

He will be remembered 200 years from now if only by association. Them Beatles, Buddy Holly, etc. have Elvis as a great influence. :D

Clanceman likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There's a difference between knowing who Elvis is and Elvis being popular with kids/teens. Yeah, 17 years ago the A Little Less Conversation remix single was popular with them but that was because of the remixing, not because it was Elvis.

ZoSoUK and Jackson like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

I don't want a prize I was merely responding to your comments.
    Interestingly since Elvis was born Jan 8 1935 and it was released Dec. 9 2009, the title 75 was rounded up from 74 years and 11 months.
    :agree:

Bevok and John Grimes like this.
  21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Isn’t 74 minutes and 11 seconds the original length of a music CD too?

John Grimes likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Interesting fact. It would seem unlikely that septuagenarians are getting their music from Spotify, so perhaps there are some young Elvis fans after all.

23. John Grimes

Ha.

24. John Grimes

I hate to be negative but spotify really sucks. Very compressed bs.

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Old vinyl from lots of artists appears to have increased in value in the recent past. My friend runs a record stall at numerous record fairs. He states often he sells no cds (a much unloved format these days) only old vinyl records. £40 for an old battered copy of Rumours!
    Hopefully a by product of this vinyl craze will be more old Elvis (and other acts) vinyl will come onto the secondhand market giving more choice and maybe lowering prices a bit. Bad time to sell your cds though.

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.