Elvis Presley getting more popular?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jgirar01, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis may fade but not so Milo and Stitch!

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. ragnar1

ragnar1 Member

like all 60's rock now:
    boomers who are tired of buying Sinatra reissues
    why these records have dried up;no sellers
    it's all because of the last 3 years of you tube

3. ragnar1

ragnar1 Member

also, they dumped it and now they buy it back at 10x the price becausee they have a big house now and a kronos turntable:like the dc5,beatles,hermans hermits etc.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m not surprised, although I’ve never used it.

John Grimes likes this.
  5. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

If uber-talented 11 yr olds cover your songs, you're still popular.

Timmy84, artfromtex and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I asked my friend's 3 year old daughter if she knew who Elvis was and she didn't. Wow... what a dumb little girl. Apparently no one ever will know who Elvis was once the boomers die off.

OldSoul likes this.
  7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I forgot Elvis is mentioned in Lilo and Stitch. Good point. I think he's mentioned or referenced in enough media that people won't forget him anytime soon.
    I will say, this is the second time since summer where an Elvis popularity thread has pushed me to listen to some of his music. I think I'll have to dig deeper now.

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis is not only mentioned, his music is featured in the first movie.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Has it really been that long?

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The best way to understand Elvis' music is to listen to it. Start at the beginning. Read the book Last Train to Memphis. That will get you oriented.

Elvis sang to the girls in the audience. It's all about being loved by the girls. On that basis he was 100% successful all the time.

Auctions are no judge of an artist's popularity. The real popularity is in the CD's that are selling. Elvis sells CDs the way he used to sell records. The conceptualized repackages put order into the chaos of his original releases. Elvis earns about $30 million a year, I've seen reported.

There is an arc to his character and a growth in his music with some interesting side-avenues like the detour into movies and the climb out of them. It helps to listen to the albums / songs in chronological order. He was an immense talent with painful limitations, yet everything he touched turned to gold.

11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Wish I would’ve read this before I posted earlier.

It would’ve saved me a lot of time typing when all I would’ve had to type is...”this” :tiphat:

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the fact that we're debating if elvis is still popular means hes still popular, no one is debating if Frankie Laine is still popular

13. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

This is true.
    He is an icon. He will be a part of pop culture for a long time. It is just that he is not quite as big a part of pop culture as he was even 20 years ago.

Not that I have been looking, but his movies are not on TV as often these days. They used to be on more often than The Godfather showings.

Clanceman likes this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

15. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Right there!

artfromtex likes this.
  16. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

RSteven, Rick H. and artfromtex like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is exactly the type of proof that puts Elvis in a class all by himself as far as greatest selling solo recording act of all time and frankly drives these younger Elvis haters nuts. Elvis will get more RIAA awards this year than probably all of their favorite artists will earn in a lifetime.

Elvis now has over 100 gold albums, not even counting the extended play gold albums, while their favorite act probably won't even record more than 10 albums doing their entire career. I hate to be so blunt, but the petty jealousy demonstrated by a few people in these similar threads about Elvis's popularity waning is kind of pathetic.

I hope some younger members who review this thread can re-evaluate their own perspective on Elvis and the passion they have for the artists that they love. Elvis's greatness cannot be measured in gold records or chart success alone and neither can your favorite recording artist. People on this forum who express their admiration for Elvis have a thousand different reasons why they love this artist and perhaps that is the biggest reason of all why he still has such a tremendous following and still sells over a million records every year.

18. artfromtex

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A great new review of The Searcher in the Hollywood Reporter with the subtitle headline, "A must-see for early fans of rock 'n' roll." I think that this documentary is the one we Elvis fans have been waiting for to put the emphasis where it belongs on his great voice and music sensibilities as well as his unmatched skills as a live entertainer. It looks like some great off camera interviews with everyone from Springsteen to Tom Petty as well as Ernest Jorgensen.

Spencer R and artfromtex like this.
  20. artfromtex

That is my hope as well.

RSteven likes this.
  21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Good. His movies are far from the best aspect of his legacy. He would be the first to admit it. They almost killed his career WHILE he was alive. It’s the music.

ZoSoUK and RSteven like this.
  22. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

great thread , great replys ! its a question i sometimes think about but ultimately does it matter ?
    elvis hasnt always been kool or popular anyway, he wasnt in 1965, 1975 or 1995

i think he would be shocked to know not only is he still being talked about but he is selling in vast quantities !!

ive had my share of trying to explain the greatness of him & converting friends/girlfriends with mixed results i must say ! ! in the end i always accept that you know what, he did his part ! he set out after his dream & he got it - even if it turned into a nightmare ! he became the biggest SOLO star in the world!

his record sales DURING his life alone are beyond comprehension - huge & worldwide!
    no one EVER will equal that !
    a BILLION sales (supposedly) and thats probably just vinyl!
    but i understand success & current popularity are 2 seperate things !

he IS known & i hope always will be - for the right reasons ! but this does not equate to being APPRECIATED or valued as the game changer & at best SUPERB vocalist he could be!

i dont know if its relevant but my current girlfriend is 35 , french very educated & intelligent but had next to zero knowledge off him & couldnt even name a song but of course recognized the hits 'a bit' !

i tried VERY HARD & failed to get her to even appreciate his talent, let alone creating a new fan!
    i played small amounts but the best & it was all met with indifference & boredom
    her simple reply was "it just all sounds so old - its old music I cant get into it" !!
    i was almost upset initially but just accepted she was born 10 yrs after he died , wasnt bought up on him as i was & wasnt subjected to the movies etc & starting now in 2017/18 just isnt happening

let me add otherwise she is quite open to music from the 90s onwards so i DID get her into Oasis & kings of leon etc

moral of that story is, i thought if this is a typical example no one born after 2000 is ever gonna dig "raised on rock " lol

GillyT likes this.
  23. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

My granddaughters, four of them aged 16 to 22 were down recently one asked for Elvis, they all shouted yes. maybe their dad or me who knows.
    Anyway we had a great stoned night.

I333I and Nielsoe like this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Our community band recently performed the theme song to Blazing Saddles.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Timmy84 and GillyT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.