Elvis Presley: Next Legacy Release Will Be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

Are any of the Legacy titles essential for somebody who already owns the 30CD Complete Masters box? It looks like there's some unique live material on a couple of the later Legacy titles. I'm just wondering what the essential purchases outside of The Complete Masters would be.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

The FEIM/Back In Memphis twofer has mono mixes of 10 tracks, unavailable anywhere else (officially).

The Original Mono Single Masters: 11. In The Ghetto • 12. Any Day Now • 13. The Fair’s Moving On • 14. Suspicious Minds • 15. You’ll Think Of Me • 16. Don’t Cry Daddy • 17. Rubberneckin’ • 18. Kentucky Rain • 19. My Little Friend • 20. Mama Liked The Roses.

If you don't have the FTD 48 Hours To Memphis you can save yourself $30 and just pick up the Legacy release of Live On Stage In Memphis for half that.

Hep Alien and Confuseacat like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Aside from the American Sound mono mixes and 1974 Richmond soundboard that heatherly mentioned; IIRC, the 1/12/73 "alternate" Aloha show is not on the 30CD set, the 6/10/72 afternoon show from MSG is not on the 30CD set, and the complete stage rehearsal from On Stage is also unique to that Legacy Edition. Both the alternate Aloha performance and afternoon MSG performance have been previously available, but never in this good of sound (particularly in the case of the alternate Aloha show).

Hep Alien and Confuseacat like this.
  4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

You will also need the That's The Way It Is Legacy title for the full 8/12/70 Dinner Show.

Confuseacat likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

Absolutely! Totally forgot about that one. That was a well-done Legacy Edition.

Revised list:

Elvis Presley/Elvis
    Elvis Is Back!/Something For Everybody
    From Elvis In Memphis/Elvis Is Back (+mono singles)
    On Stage/In Person
    Elvis Country/Love Letters
    That's The Way It Is (+8/12/70 d.s.)
    As Recorded At Madison Square Garden/An Afternoon At The Garden
    Aloha From Hawaii (+rehearsal show)
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis/48 Hours To Memphis (FTD title)

Hep Alien and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

Thank you for posting this; it really shows how little Elvis recorded towards the end.

7. PacificOceanBlue

In some ways yes. However, he laid down 30 master recordings in 1973 alone. That is a somewhat staggering figure; obviously consisting of an inconsistent result in terms of quality. Those 30 masters produced 3 albums worth of material from 1973 - 1975. Clearly, the 1975 session was a bit of a struggle, only resulting in 10 completed masters. Even the subsequent difficult sessions conducted at Graceland in 1976 resulted in another 16 masters. Essentially, when RCA got him to record, it did all it could to maximize the number masters recorded so that it could fulfill the contracted 2-3 album per year requirement it secured with Elvis. The entire undertaking was misguided from RCA's required quota of masters, to Tom Parker negotiating such a lopsided and unfriendly-artistic contract, publishing restrictions hamstringing the sessions, sessions designed to create mini recording marathons of way too much material in varying degrees of quality lacking cohesiveness and vision -- all contributing to Elvis' lack of interest in the recording and creative process.

Hep Alien, mrstats and Solace like this.
  8. Dark Horse 77

Very good reading again. So, in theory, if the next Legacy release covers his 1976 recordings/Moody Blue they'll have to go back to the 1960s at least for the next release of studio material. That is unless they reissue the 1970s gospel album.

9. moops

moops Senior Member

Couldn't see a dedicated Elvis Is Back (Legacy) thread so I'm posting here .....

I have a question about the 2CD EIB Legacy packaging.

About a month ago I ordered the Elvis Presley/Elvis and Elvis is Back 2CD Legacy Editions from Amazon UK as they were a good price.
    The Elvis Presley/Elvis set arrived as the double digi-pak version, however Elvis Is Back was a double jewel case ?
    What I want to know is, is the EIB legacy still for sale in the US in the digi-pak packaging ?
    My OCD is getting the better of me and I would like EIB as a digi-pak to match the other Legacy releases I have.

Yes, I know ..... I'm crazy.

10. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Interesting. There does appear to be an EU jewel-case version.

My copy is EU and digipak.

If you go to elvisoncd.com and look up the Legacy Edition you can check out the varients.

For example the USA Legacy Edition of the debut album features the nipper-dog RCA logo, the EU version does not.

The Australian version of From Elvis In Memohis has a weird ghosting effect added to the cover title text.

11. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

12. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

13. Dark Horse 77

14. PacificOceanBlue

15. Dark Horse 77

I just have the Moody Blue 2000 BMG set which combined both albums on one cd. I've only bought one Follow That Dream set and it was The Jungle Room Sessions so I think this Legacy release will cancel them all out. Hopefully.
    I'm guessing this will end Legacy's 1970s Presley reissues as I'm not sure what else if left to release. I really do enjoy this era so I'm not complaining, but it'll be exciting to see what's next.

16. PacificOceanBlue

The master recordings will most likely sound significantly better on this upcoming set; probably utilizing Vic Anesini's remasters. FTD's Jungle Room Sessions will still have content not recycled on the bonus disc of this set, so that will be worth keeping.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I sold my 2000 BMG after the two FTDs came out myself.
    Only 5 tracks from The Jungle Room Sessions appears on the new set :
    Elvis Presley - Way Down In the Jungle Room, released on August 2. 2016 »
    ( see post # 7 )

18. Dark Horse 77

Now that we've gotten the very good to excellent (IMO) Way Down In The Jungle Room, it's time for us to guess what the next Legacy release will be. I really have no idea what could be next, being as they've been so 70s-centric. Maybe Legacy will start pairing some 60s albums together or (what I'd really love) a definitive Sun Records set.

19. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I'm hoping for a Guitar Man / US Male / Down In The Alley / Indescribably Blue etc / How Great Thou Art set.

20. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I've got the Jungle Room on Tidal; I love it, but previously referred to it as the Nappy years.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Next up will be Elvis In Concert. After that, Havin' Fun With Elvis On Stage.

22. PacificOceanBlue

I am guessing a two or three disc SUN reissue. However, I would not be surprised to see something from 1971 or even, *cough*, an audio reissue of Elvis In Concert. It has been noted that Sony had considered reissuing the three discs of SUN recordings from A Boy From Tupelo (plus the in-line recording of I Forgot To Remember To Forget), but put the idea on the back-burner in favor of the Elvis At Stax release, so there is a chance Sony will revisit the legendary SUN recordings. Additionally, it was revealed last year that Sony has told the FTD team not to release any Elvis In Concert audio recordings (and they have all allegedly been remixed and remastered), so one can speculate that amazingly, Sony may have mainstream plans for the Elvis In Concert audio. I have seen nothing related to 1971, but it is a glaring hole in Legacy's recent devoted focus on Elvis' final era of recording. Also, a Blue Hawaii/GI Blues Legacy Edition two-fer would also make sense.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Whatever 70s dreck Santos can conger up I guess.

24. Dark Horse 77

I guess I'm not very discerning because I would buy any of those you listed.

I333I likes this.
  25. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Is it time for a Legacy Christmas release yet - with Elvis's Christmas Album & artwork as the "primary" and Wonderful World Of Christmas as the secondary title? (Probably not.....limited sales window, etc. But I thought I would throw it out there....)

I333I, artfromtex and PhantomStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.