Elvis Presley: Next Legacy Release Will Be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I remember the first time I heard "I Got Stung" as a kid. I had that "Commemorative" double album on yellow "gold" vinyl that you had to order off of TV. It totally blew me away.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

The 1st line i wrote was - FOR THE PUBLIC.

LEGACY is not hard to buy were FTD is,hence my post on this thread and about the LEGACY label.

This session needs to be heard,with the truck driver on fire and the A- TEAM kicking BUTT.

Just a view.

https://img.cdandlp.com/2015/12/imgL/117886573-2.jpg

melstapler and Hep Alien like this.
  3. artfromtex

So, how do you do that? A Legacy 2-fer of the first two volumes of "Elvis' Golden Records"?

Or, you could make a Legacy of just Volume II and its iconic cover. Use a select number of outtakes and some live material from the '50's, "Elvis Sails", etc. This could be a good place to compile the TV appearances from Ed Sullivan, Milton Berle, and The Dorsey Brothers.

4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The way I see it, the FTD releases are officially available to the public. While they are only available from a limited number of venues, they still be easily ordered from the comfort of one's own home (as long as one has an internet connection).

5. artfromtex

FTD releases are not marketed to the public at large. They are not available at retail outlets, nor iTunes, Spotify, HD Tracks, etc.

Even my friend, who is not an Elvis fan, asked me a couple of years ago, "hey, did you know Elvis recorded at Stax and that a box set is coming out?". Marketing matters.

John Porcellino likes this.
  6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Well, there is a difference between being made available to the public and being marketed to the public at large. MEMPHISSUN originally stated "THIS session should be out there for the public to buy." Arguably, it already is... just at a limited number of outlets. But anyone who knows how to use Google and has a credit card can purchase these releases. They are by no means "hard to buy" as he stated.

Of course, the FTD releases are marketed towards the hard core fans, not the general public. But the hard core fans are those who would want to listen to multiple takes of the same song over and over again. The general public mostly just wants to hear the well-known versions of these songs. For the most part, I think these FTD sets are being marketed towards the correct audience.

7. artfromtex

They are hard to buy if the consumer is unaware of their existence.

I am not sure if he was talking about all the outtakes or all the masters collected together as the highlight of the product and not one of 30 or 60 CD's in a mammoth box set.

I like my idea of a Legacy Edition Gold Records Vol. 2 paired with select outtakes rounding out disc 1 and a companion CD of Elvis' 50's TV appearances.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Of course, that argument could be used for ANY product. There are plenty of mainstream releases out there that are marketed to a general audience that I'm unaware of.

Hard core Elvis fans that want to hear (and own) session outtakes will most likely already know about the FTD releases. That is market for that the FTD label caters to.

9. The general visibility of FTD releases is poor. Even as an avid music collector that got into Elvis a decade ago, I didn't learn much about FTD until 3-4 years ago when someone compared an FTD to the deluxe Legacy edition.

You really have to go looking for FTD to find them, even on the Internet. They don't show up on eBay in great numbers and they have virtually no presence on Amazon if you go looking for Elvis product.

melstapler likes this.
  10. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I've been a huge Elvis fan for awhile and I didn't know about the FTD releases until I saw them in the shop at Graceland.

11. artfromtex

Agreed. That is why a Legacy release of that material was suggested by @MEMPHISSUN, to make it available to casual fans and the general public.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I honestly don't see a lot of casual fans (or the general public) demanding to hear numerous versions of the same songs in a row. It's fun for dedicated nuts like us to get a peek into the studio sessions and hear the false starts and breakdowns. But for the average fan, they are happy with just hearing the finished masters.

As I said, those who really want to hear every available take of a song likely already have the FTD set(s).

13. artfromtex

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

So our next Legacy set will be the 50th anniversary 1969 Live set coming in August. So, just for fun, what will next year's set be??

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. artfromtex

A big set dedicated to Elvis coming home from the Army.

Dark Horse 77 and RSteven like this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

Me likey. Could be all kinds of goodies in there.

artfromtex likes this.
  17. I'd love a retrospective on his 1970 studio recordings.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.