Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Better late than never!!

CBackley likes this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yeah, I get that. However if one is a fan of a particular artist, don't they actively seek out their records? I did not need any promotional influence to buy the artists records I like once I became aware of the artist. I guess that is why Pepsi and Coke need to continue with promotional advertising, otherwise people will forget they like cola. These are the lives of the everyday sheeple.

RSteven likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

You should have told her...it's "High Hopes!" Same song! :)

Mylene likes this.
  4. Likewise, many of the big singles like It’s Now Or Never, Little Sister, etc. were held off these albums, but the big soundtrack singles (Can’t Help Falling In Love, Return To Sender, etc.) were on their respective soundtrack LPs.

Power Windows and artfromtex like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

Starting as early as 1960 the inner sleeves of Elvis LPs contained his entire catalog. Anyone buying GI Blues would have been able to see that Elvis Is Back was an LP available to buy. Certainly the non-Elvis fan who bought GI Blues could not have possibly thought that GI Blues was the best that Elvis could do, especially had they been listening to the radio for the last 5 years!

6. SKATTERBRANE

I guess the old radio adage "I don't know what I like but I like what I know" applies. If there is no hit single on an album, people are not interested. I wonder how The Beatles sold so many records that did not have the hit single on them? The problem with contemporaneous Elvis fans is most of them were women who were not into collecting his music as much as they were into collecting non music related merchandise.

7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Well, The Beatles were more popular than Jesus... :)

MaestroDavros and MerseyBeatle like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

That statement has a ring of truth to it, actually. John was right on in his assessment. Hindi, Muslim, Jew, and all sorts of people from various non-Christian backgrounds also bought Beatle records. And as John rightly stated, the Beatles were not BETTER than Jesus.

9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I’m on the fence about this one. Is $180 still a good price for this? I missed the $166 last week. Not sure if I should wait it out for a lower price.

10. SKATTERBRANE

Anything less than $250 is a great price. $14? That is the full price for a single CD.

clhboa and RSteven like this.
  11. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I got mine from Amazon UK for about $170 delivered last week.

deadbirdie likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

That is about $2.85 per disc. There is no cheaper way to get new physical media of Elvis' lifetime released recorded output.

13. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

Anybody wondering if they should get it or not, just stop wondering and get it. Definitely if it is under $250 like @SKATTERBRANE said. Just look for a good deal. And avoid anything shipping from China. Under $100 is a good clue. If you like Elvis, you'll love this set. Are there questionable songs? Of course. Very few artists have even fewer duds.

14. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

I bought mine a couple of months ago for $200.
    I already had the three decade boxes... lots of other sets. It is one of the best cd purchased I’ve made. Worth every cent

15. SKATTERBRANE

Yes. I bought a few as gifts. And I bought a couple to sell for $500 or more once they go out of print.

clhboa, CBackley, deadbirdie and 2 others like this.
  16. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Good call. Ordered!

Thanks all.

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You are an astute businessman, Sir. I have some rare Christmas CD's that are out of print that now sell for several hundred dollars a piece privately. I think that some of these CD's collections will become like the new rare vinyl collections as they become harder and harder to find and purchase.

Bemagnus likes this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

I bought and sold a few The Complete Masters with success. I have a sealed promo version, which contains all the music the retail version did for sale too. As for the 60 CD box. If you are an Elvis fan but are just generally familiar with the hits. The value and impact the gems in this box far outweigh the expected duds.

RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  19. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Ah, what the hellio. After ordering and cancelling a couple weeks back, I’m in. Just ordered and am not planning on cancelling this time.

After some more shuffle playing of the Spotify playlist: even the cheesy tracks have charm.

Bring on Ito and his eating. Let’s hear the Song of the Shrimp... cheese it up. I’m game.

Mylene, artfromtex, billnunan and 7 others like this.
  20. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I bought the 20 CD Movie Soundtrack Collection back in 2013 for $32. It had a couple of special CD’s in it. One was a Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad and Flaming Star Cd. A really great CD. The other was a 12 track Viva Las Vegas CD. I also bought the 60 CD Collection.

Power Windows and MerseyBeatle like this.
  21. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I was fortunate to grab this last month for $130 from a respected eBay seller. I love it. However, I cannot stop listening to Walk A Mile in My Shoes, The Seventies Masters. Just wow! Soulful, silky, tender, inspirational, heartbreaking...a shame his 70s output doesn’t get enough respect. No one interpreted music like Elvis. He truly had a gift.

Power Windows, Dave112, mgb70 and 4 others like this.
  22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Grab it. I don’t see Sony keeping it in print much longer, , based on similar boxes.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I agree. 100%. There is something special about 70's Elvis.

24. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Today I've seen a brand new copy in a local store for just 123 euros! I was even tempted to buy it again, but I think it's fair another fan can buy it and enjoy.

billnunan and Electric Sydney like this.
  25. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

I saw on IMWAN that a new Elvis movie songs comp is coming out, "The Real... Elvis Presley at the Movies". A 3-CD box, 54 cuts. It looks like prime time songs, excluding those soundtrack junkie tunes. You Elvis nuts take a look at it and tell us what you think, here on Amazon UK, due out on Nov 9:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Elvis-Presley-At-Movies/dp/B07GVXDFMK