Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The version on the original soundtrack was a mono mix, with applause and Elvis' "Thank you, goodnight" remark added.

The version that typically appears on most compilations however is I believe the 2nd To None stereo remix, although it could be the "Memories" Comeback Special set one.

Oddly despite being called a stereo mix the version used on "The Searcher" soundtrack is actually the soundtrack version.

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks that is good to know. I have the Complete Masters set and the RCA album collection. POB explained the slightly lower quality of the 68 comeback recordings. I did not buy my vinyl of this until the mid 70s but was it first issued as a full price album or was it a bit cheaper?

3. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I bought my copy of "Elvis _TV Special" in the late '80's. It was still a full price album at that time, so if you bought it in the '70's, it was most likely full price then as well.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  4. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Has anyone had the time to do a comparison on each album in this box to others sources like FTD/Sony Legacy etc?
    It's well known A Date With Elvis and LP Fans are inferior in this instance. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any other albums in the set with inferior sound/mastering compared to the likes of say the FTD counterpart?
    I listened a few tracks from Aloha last night and found the mastering to be slightly pale in comparison to the 1998 Sony re-issue (as well as being the complete unedited concert) but I understand they've copied the original album in this case.
    I'm currently in the process of ripping the entire catalogue into iTunes and would ideally like to rip the best source, be it from this lovely box or the FTD's/Sony cds, any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have one question: Now that I have this box set, are there any official Elvis songs from singles, EPs, etc not included here? I'm not talking about rarities, outtakes and all that, just officially released studio masters.

6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The 1998 disc is a remix. The version in the box is a remaster of the original mix.

Myke and Mark87 like this.
  7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Not many. There are some outtakes which were released by mistake which are missing in the box and some movie tracks that weren't released until the 90s. The box is mostly complete even though there are some live tracks from the 68 special which were released on A Legendary Performer 1 & 2 that are missing as well. The biggest miss for me is A Little Less Conversation (Single/movie version).

A well respected man likes this.
  8. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Thank you! I had a feeling it was a remix but wasn't sure 100%

artfromtex likes this.
  9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

This is what I was able to find from a review on Amazon, in regards to the only missing "master tracks" on the RCA box...

Lover Doll (original EP version - with longer intro and no overdub vocals)
    (version here - on King Creole disc - is album version with edited intro and added vocal overdubs)

Doncha Think It’s Time (Album version - which was an alternate take)
    (version here - on Gold Records Vol. 2 disc - is the original single version)

I’m Yours (Single version - no spoken interlude or background vocals)
    (version here - on Pot Luck disc - is original album version with spoken interlude and background vocals)

A Little Less Conversation (original Single version)
    (version here - on Almost In Love disc - is album version which is a shorter alternate take)

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Others are:

Old Shep (Alternate Master - take 5)
    I Want To Be Free (Master with composite ending)
    Didja' Ever (Take 2) - Only available on very early pressings of G.I. Blues
    Long Lonely Highway - (Single version)

11. A well respected man

Thank you so much. Now, is there an easy way to round up these loose ends?

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's what fan-made CDRs are for.

13. A well respected man

I think I can add another 4 songs. I can't find the songs in the Follow That Dream EP anywhere in the box:

[​IMG]

billnunan and MerseyBeatle like this.
  14. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Those are scattered across the Camden albums from 1971. I Got Lucky, C'mon Everybody etc.

ClausH and A well respected man like this.
  15. A well respected man

I dind't know about those. Anyway, we were discussing the songs not included in the box.

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Follow that Dream tracks are included in the box.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  17. A well respected man

In which CDs? I couldn't find them.

18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis For Everyone (disc 23), C'mon Everybody (disc 43) and I Got Lucky (disc 44).

19. A well respected man

Oh, they were in C'mon Everybody and I Got Lucky. I didn't look through the 70s albums, since these were early 60s tracks. My mistake.

There is none in Elvis For Everyone though.

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Sound Advice is from Follow That Dream.

21. A well respected man

It's not on the EP I posted before though.

22. MaestroDavros

Wasn't used in the film due to Elvis' distaste for it, was an outtake. "Elvis For Everyone" was essentially an outtakes album.

A well respected man likes this.
  23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

24. MaestroDavros

Welp you learn something new everyday!

(This is why I'm not always reliable :hide: )

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's not a great song and at least he tried to keep the worst songs off his records in the early 60s but I think he recorded songs that were much worse in the mid 60s.