Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I can forgive the box most things, yes even the inclusion of the single master of 'Doncha Think it's Time' rather than the original 'album' master on Gold Records 2 but the lack of the original composite master of 'I want to be Free' properly, properly irks me! This oft repeated mistake has irked me since about 1992!
    Thank goodness for the FTD label!
    Rant over, etc. :D

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

As I understand it, the composite master was made for the movie while the non-spliced version was meant for the record but somehow RCA used the movie version for the Jailhouse Rock EP.

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

So did you find the songs from Viva Las Vegas, Easy Come-Easy Go or Kid Galahad?

4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, I have noticed the period of the songs doesn't necessarily coincide with the period of the albums, what with so many compilations and all.

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I will agree turning the Camden compilations into non-LP dumping grounds is a good gripe about the set. Elsewhere? Well, points for logical chronological placement.

6. SKATTERBRANE

I think the attempt by RCA to FINALLY put these EP only songs on Camden albums was a great idea at the time and I am very happy they ARE included in is box set. For a chronological collection see: The Complete Masters.

artfromtex and Flaming Torch like this.
  7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's actually not a gripe. I'm very pleased with the set, and I like experiencing the songs in the context of the original albums. I just got lost looking for a few songs :doh:

artfromtex and mBen989 like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah, some of the "bonus song" placements are hard to hunt down.

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love both sets and Complete Masters gives you the stuff in order of recording.

10. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

The record version doesn't appear at all in the movie though and the movie version is very different to the record version?

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I know, but Kevan Budd once told me that two sets of tapes were prepared for the movie. One for RCA and one for MGM.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2 years, 3 months later, and all I have added is :

Elvis Presley - Elvis - Murfreesboro '74

Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!

Elvis Presley With The Jordanaires - Elvis Is Back!

Yep, the box really took care of me, Elvis-wise. Looking forward to the eventual The Searcher Blu ray too.

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Is there a comprehensive overview about all the mastering/wrong version/wrong take issues of this set?

14. It's all buried in this thread.

15. SKATTERBRANE

Lifetime masters not on the 60 CD box:

FTD or The Complete Masters will have all of these, but I will site sources that are regular RCA/BMG/Sony releases:

Doncha Think It's Time (LP version): Gold Records Volume 2 from the 1980s.
    I Want To Be Free with original spliced ending: 1988 Essential Elvis
    Lover Doll (undubbed version WWGAH V2): 1997 King Creole Expanded version
    Dixieland Rock (truncated intro version from EP): Simply start your recording when the hand clap comes in.
    Long Lonely Highway (single version)**: The Japanese The Complete Singles Collection
    I'm Yours (single version)**: The Japanese The Complete Singles Collection
    Stay Away, Joe (accidently released on the 1st issue of Almost In Love LP): Don't know where?
    A Little Less Conversation (single version with "hey" intro)**: 2007 The Essential Elvis Presley
    Almost In Love (single version with full intro) 1995 Double Feature-Live A Little, Love A Little, Charro!, The Trouble With Girls, Change Of Habit.
    I Really Don't Want To Know (drum beat ending WWGAH V2): The Japanese The Complete Singles Collection
    Make The World Go Away (unspliced Welcome To My World): 1992 Welcome To My World
    I Can't Stop Loving You live: 1992 Welcome To My World and An Afternoon In The Garden
    Fool (single version)** Elvis Aaron Presley-The Silver Box

** Never appeared on any USA lifetime LP

The first two volumes of A Legendary Performer had these previously unreleased tracks that are not on this collection:
    I Love You Because (unspliced take): Elvis At Sun (the best sounding CD for Sun material).
    Love Me (TV Special): all of these The Complete 68 Comeback Special
    Tryin' To Get To You (TV Special)
    Are You Lonesome Tonight (TV Special)
    I Want You, I Need You, I Love You (alternate)
    Blue Suede Shoes (TV Special)
    Baby What You Want Me To Do (TV Special)

And a few more stray dogs:

Old Shep (Alternate): The 50s box
    Elvis Sails: ??
    Didja' Ever (take 2): 1997 GI Blues expanded

As for inferior masterings compared to what Sony has available Most of the material on For LP Fans Only and A Date With Elvis and a few on Elvis For Everyone are NOT the best examples available. Most are older masterings from the 90s. There are probably a few here and there on other discs, but I do not remember all of the little glitches or variants.

16. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I'll go ahead and state I haven't read everything said in this thread. I've just decided to give Elvis a chance after so many years of relegating him to " that's my dad's music." So after going the 30 #1, 2nd to none, and essential Elvis route, and pretty much liking what I'm hearing, I'm kinda thinking of getting this.

17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Buy it and enjoy it. You won’t regret it.

musicfan37 likes this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

Listen to them in order and you will go through the elation of frustration the original fans went through as it comes to his recording career, through the pinnacles and nadirs. For me it was fool me once (the 60s movie years) shame on you, fool me twice (the 1971-1977 period) shame on me.

19. BigBadWolf

I was already a little familiar with some just because he's my dad's favorite. Some of my earliest memories are hearing my dad sing and play Elvis songs on his guitar.

RSteven and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

For the price it is hard to pass up. I suppose one day it will be OOP.

RSteven likes this.
  21. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I think you'll enjoy it. Elvis' career is like a roller coaster, with as many highs as lows. My advice regarding the soundtracks is to turn your critical mind off and enjoy them from a purely party like focus. This isn't material meant to say anything artistically, and much of it is fluff. Elvis and the top notch musicians he worked with at the time helped elevate the material to a degree. If you go into the soundtracks expecting all of them to contain A-rate material you are assured to be disappointed. But I like to give them more credit than most perhaps will; they often are a fun listen if nothing else.

The late 70's show Elvis in a physical decline and the Jungle Room sessions (his last 2 albums) in particular can be quite hard to get through. Not just because of the over-the-top overdubs, but the performances themselves, with Elvis clearly struggling to hold notes at times.

The career highlights are the 1950's, 1960-1963, parts of 1966-1967 & 1968-1971. There's gold to be found throughout his catalog though so it's not a hard rule.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree. The soundtrack songs are often poor or really really poor. The singing is excellent as are the backing musicians. I always love playing this stuff and can forgive the appalling songs. 60s Elvis will no longer be recording any more stuff so to me these recordings are priceless. I got to know some of these recordings from the Camden albums which I always have a soft spot for. It was great some of the Camdens are in the complete albums box.

RSteven and MaestroDavros like this.
  23. BigBadWolf

So, after going back and reading/ researching this, I gather this set has roughly 99% of everything he recorded.

24. SKATTERBRANE

I would rephrase that to read "99% of what was released during his lifetime."

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, you don't need anything else unless you want to explore studio outtakes, live shows etc. The box is probably too much for most people.

RSteven likes this.