Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

It's a real shame everybody outside the US missed out on seeing him live in concert. He could've bigger than he already was if that's even possible

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For those that don't want to click the link here is a copy paste of the first section up to about where we are now in the thread

Elvis Presley - The King of Rock 'n' Roll
    - Elvis Presley 1956 - Every concert, studio recording and important event in Elvis Presley's Life from January to December 1956.

For Elvis Presley, 1956 was a year like no other. In January, he was a regional sensation, but by year's end he had become a national and international phenomenon. He made his first two albums for RCA (both million sellers), appeared on national television 11 times, signed a seven- year contract with Paramount Pictures, and stared in his first movie, Love Me Tender. Elvis' appearances on national television were pivotal events for America because his unconventional appearance and performing style caused nationwide controversy.

Elvis Presley outraged adults, mesmerized the teenagers of the new youth generation, and soon became the leader of the cultural revolution sweeping across the country.

[​IMG]
    Elvis Presley
    Week of shows. Jan. 1 - Jan. 4

1 January. St. Louis, MO. Kiel Auditorium
    3 January. Boonesville, MS. Von Theatre
    4 January. Jonesboro, AR. Community Center

7 January. The Louisiana Hayride. Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport.

January 10, Two days after his twenty-first birthday, Elvis has his first recording session for RCA, [​IMG] [​IMG] held at their studio in Nashville. Among the songs laid to tape during this session is 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

4. mark winstanley

Hank Snow Package tour of Texas. Jan. 15 - Jan. 20

15 January. San Antonio, TX. Municipal Auditorium
    16 January. Galveston, TX.
    17 January. Beaumont, TX. City Auditorium
    18 January. Austin, TX. Austin Coliseum
    19 January. Wichita Falls, TX. Memorial Auditorium
    20 January. Fort Worth, TX. North Side Coliseum

January 21, Bob Neal [​IMG] informs the Colonel that because of his new job he will have to 'bow out' of participation in the upcoming February tour.This marks the end of his official association with Elvis Presley. The Colonel is now in full control of all aspects of Elvis' career.

21 January. The Louisiana Hayride. Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana.

[​IMG] 1956 business contract signed by Colonel Parker and Elvis for The Elvis Presley Show

January 27', Heartbreak Hotel' b/w 'I Was the One' is released by RCA and sells over 300,000 copies in its first three weeks on the market. It is soon to go to number one on Billboard's pop singles chart for eight weeks and hit number one on the country chart and number five on the R&B chart. It becomes the first Elvis single to sell over one million copies, thus earning Elvis his very first gold record award.

January 28, Elvis appears with Scotty, Bill, and D.J. on the Jackie Gleason-produced Stage Show, starring Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey on CBS. This is Elvis' first network television appearance. He appears five more nights on Stage Show over the weeks ahead and makes minor waves nationally. The last of these six appearances is March 24. Traveling and personal appearances continue during this time, including the Louisiana Hayride appearances for which he is still under contract. Fame and 'infamy' build.

The Dorsey Brothers Stage Show
    CBS Studio New York - 28.01.1956
    Shake Rattle & Roll / Flip Flop & Fly
    I Got A Woman

After making his first appearance on National TV on the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show, Elvis stayed in town.

Around 11 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 30, he and the band headed for the RCA Studio, 155 E. 24th St. They recorded for seven hours that day, then three hours on Jan. 31 and another several hours on Feb. 3.

These New York Sessions yielded 'Blue Suede Shoes' and seven other tunes:

'My Baby Left Me', One-Sided Love Affair', So Glad You're Mine', I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry Over You', Tutti Fruitti', Lawdy Miss Clawdy' and 'Shake, Rattle and Roll'.

'Blue Suede Shoes' was the only hit single in the bunch, but the sessions were crucial in Elvis history because they marked the point at which he started moving away from his raw, pure Sun sound to the more commercial and mainstream sound RCA envisioned for him. Read more about the New York Sessions [​IMG].

5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

January 31, 1956 RCA Studio's - New York

[​IMG]I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) G2WB 1254-18
    [​IMG] Tutti Frutti G2WB 1255-10

February 1956, As 'Heartbreak Hotel' makes its climb up the charts on its way to number one', I Forgot to Remember to Forget' b/w 'Mystery Train', Elvis' fifth and last single to be released on the Sun label, hits number one on Billboard's national country singles chart. His first number one hit on a national chart.

February 2, [​IMG] Letter from Carolyn Asmus, Colonel Parker's secretary, to Gladys and Vernon

February 3, Elvis returns to New York for a second recording session at RCA's New York Studio, prior to his second appearance on the 'Dorsey Brothers Stage Show', the following day.

These New York Sessions yielded 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy' and 'Shake, Rattle and Roll'.

7. mark winstanley

February 3, 1956 RCA Studio's - New York

[​IMG]Lawdy Miss Clawdy G2WB 1293-10
    [​IMG]Shake Rattle & Roll G2WB 1294-12
    [​IMG]Shake Rattle & Roll (Backup Vocal Overdub) G2WB 1294

February 4, Elvis makes his second Stage Show appearance performing 'Baby Let's Play House' and 'Tutti Frutti'. After the show at the Dorsey brothers invitation, Elvis goes to Roseland, a popular dance club in midtown Manhattan.

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

CBS Studio New York - 11.02.1956
    Blue Suede Shoes
    Heartbreak Hotel

East Coast Tour. Feb. 12 - Feb 16

12 February. Norfolk, VA. Montecello Auditorium
    13 February. Newport News. VA. Paramount Theater
    14 February. Wilson, NC. Charles L. Coon High School Auditorium
    15 February. Burlington, NC. Walt Williams High School
    16 February. Winston-Salem NC. Carolina Theater

CBS Studio New York - 18.02.1956
    Tutti Frutti
    I Was The One

Tour of Florida and Georgia. Feb. 19 - Feb. 26

19 February. Tampa, FL. Ft. Homer Hesterly Armony (3 shows)
    20 February. West Palm Beach, FL. Palms Theater (4 shows)
    21 February. Sarasota, FL. Florida Theater (4 shows)
    22 February. Waycross, GA. City Auditorium (3 shows)
    23 February. Jacksonville, FL. Gator Bowl

Elvis collapses in the parking lot after the first show on February 23 and is taken to hospital, where the doctor diagnoses exhaustion and tells him to slow down.

24 February. Jacksonville, FL. Gator Bowl

25 February. The Louisiana Hayride. Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana (8pm)

Elvis performs 'Heartbreak Hotel' for the first time on the Hayride.

26 February. Pensacola, FL. Municipal Auditorium (3 shows - 2,5 and 8 pm)

10. mark winstanley

March 3, Before flying to Shreveport with cousin, Gene Smith, Elvis writes a check for $500 toward the purchase of a house for himself and his parents at 1034 Audubon Drive, a well-to-do suburban neighborhood east of downtown Memphis.

3 March. The Louisiana Hayride. Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana

March 10, Elvis performs with Johnny Cash and other on the Louisiana Hayride. Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana

March 13, RCA releases Elvis Presley, Elvis' first album. The album soon goes to number one on Billboard's pop album chart for ten weeks.

It is the first Elvis album to reach over $1 million in sales, thus earning Elvis his first gold album award.

East Coast Tour . Mar. 14 - Mar. 23

14 March. Atlanta, GA. Fox Theatre (3 shows)
    15 March. Atlanta, GA. Fox Theatre (3 shows)
    17 March. CBS Studio New York - The Dorsey Brothers Stage Show

CBS Studio New York - 17.03.1956
    [​IMG] Heartbreak Hotel
    [​IMG] Blue Suede Shoes

11. mark winstanley

sorry about that being so many posts. The weird no more than five pictures restriction wouldn't let me make it any other way, and it is quite interesting.

12. mark winstanley

I'm sure there would have been demand. It is certainly hard to imagine him being any bigger

13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

While it is true that Elvis was never part of the "rock era" counter-culture (thankfully, if you ask me) that does NOT take away from his ability to interpret music and convey emotion through his singing. When Elvis sings I BELIEVE him. He had technique almost totally lacking in artifice. Yes, for the most part, his movie years were a bit of a hiatus from artistic creativity, but he did not abandon music. And there are quite a few gems sprinkled throughout the "movie years" soundtrack LP, not even counting the generally superior bonus songs (non-movie, studio recordings). And as Elvis matured, rock n roll was not his main passion. In fact I doubt if it EVER was.

His post Army recordings and artistry may not be as culturally significant, but it is no less of an expression of the mastery of his interpretive abilities and style. There are plenty of singers that are highly respected that did (do) not write, but for some reason the fans of "the rock era" are a bit dismissive of Elvis' having not been a writer. They may not know what a large if not sometimes exclusive role Elvis played in the studio production, arrangement and yes INTERPRETATION of the songs presented to him. When given the often inferior songs through his publishing companies, he often resorted to songs he knew from his youth that so many times produced his best performances.

I do not think Caruso, Sinatra, Streisand, or even the great Aretha Franklin could have pulled of the credible performance Elvis achieved with the mundane Song Of The Shrimp from the Girls! Girls! Girls! LP. (Maybe Belafonte could have done as well with this tune).

14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Re: I Got A Woman, I confess that I often have difficulty enjoying it in any incarnation, thanks to that "She knows a woman's place is right there now in her home" line. Which is a shame, because it's one of the relatively few 50s RCA sides that we have of Elvis singing without the Jords, who often got in the way of things (more on that when we get to Hound Dog!). Still, it's a fine vocal from Elvis, so I can sometimes overlook that lyrical slip and enjoy it for what it is.

15. SKATTERBRANE

As for the Early RCA sessions, the first in Nashville, the second in New York from which a lot of the material for his first LP came from. These two sessions, especially the New York session, is the last of his original style. His recordings became increasingly commercial and stylized after. I say the New York session produced at least one recording (My Baby Left Me) which could have EASILY been a Sun side in style and vibe. The same goes for Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Shake Rattle And Roll.

16. mark winstanley

It was the fifties, long before society made it necessary for both husband and wife to work (and before anyone says anything, that is not to suggest I think that women shouldn't be allowed to work). Political correctness thankfully didn't exist or most music from the last sixty years wouldn't have existed. In context with the times, the line really means that she isn't off having sex in bars with any guy she can find.

17. SKATTERBRANE

If we are going to apply modern sensibilities to early R n B, R n R or The Blues then there wouldn't be a "rock era" at all. How about "I'd rather see you dead little girl than in the arms of another man"? Or "get in that kitchen and makes some noise with those pots and pans"? "one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store" the list goes on by the tens of thousands! And certainly they do not even touch the misogyny of much of rap music.

18. BigBadWolf

Yeah, there are a lot of lyrics from that era that wouldn't fly in today's society. Heck, not just the 50s.

19. SKATTERBRANE

Many would disagree, but Elvis' Blue Suede Shoes walks (heh heh) all over Perkins' original.

Elvis' version became best known from its appearance on two different 45 EPs, as his single version came out months later. What is amazing is the EP chart was not invented until about 2 years AFTER these 1956 EP came out and yet the single disc version EPA-747 reached #6 on the 1958 EP charts and the double disc version EPB-1254 reached #9. While the lead song "Blue Suede Shoes" as the lead song off EPA-747 did appear on the contemporaneous 1956 singles chart peaking at #20. The Blue Suede Shoes single was not released until August and even after such availability on one LP and two EPs (but there was also a TRIPLE disc EP that came "free" with the purchase of an RCA record player that also contained the song) it still went gold as a single.

45 EPs were first put on the albums chart and a song from an EP could also chart on the singles chart. EPs had their own separate chart from late 1957 through most of 1960. Afterwards only individual songs from EPs could chart along with singles, they no longer appeared on album charts and the EP chart became defunct.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  20. SKATTERBRANE

Written by the person who was to become one of Elvis' favorite ballad writers in the 60s.

21. BigBadWolf

To me, the Elvis version of "Blue Suede Shoes" is the only version. Nothing against Perkins. It just happens I heard Elvis' version first. Same with "Blue Christmas" (I know, we'll get to it). There's a version of it that my old workplace would play during the holidays, and if you weren't depressed before, you certainly were after.

22. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

Good resources for information

elvisrecords.com | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database Thanks @Shawn
    Elvis Presley U.K. Discography Thanks @Purple Jim
    Elvis Presley 1956 | The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The roots, for those unaware - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Crudup Connection - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis and Sun Studios - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Sun Recordings (some, not all) -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Baby Let's Play House Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Mystery Train Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis Presley 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 I'm Counting On You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 I Got A Woman Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 One Sided Love Affair Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Tryin' to get to you Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Complete Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on 29. Sept 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    another edit - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Newspaper Articles
    Clean it up - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right and the Hayride - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Concert Review 1957? - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Crimson Witch and Shawn like this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Elvis played Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver, Canada in 1957...
    Elvis Presley in Canada | Official Graceland Blog

24. BigBadWolf

Yeah, I forgot about that. I was leaning more towards Europe and Asia

25. mark winstanley

and Australia of course, don't forget Australia :)