Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love the way this album opens with the fantastic "Rip It Up" and "Love Me" but the rest of the album doesn't do much for me.
    It's a great 50s album but there's a little too many soft variety numbers for my taste.

[​IMG]

The cover for the British release showed Elvis in a bizarre colourised photo which somehow oozed rock 'n' roll (in contrast to the rather lacklustre content).

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, wikipedia is incorrect in saying the song was commissioned for Elvis. It was written as a parody country song, first recorded by Willy and Ruth in 1954. As noted, Leiber and Stoller were impressed that Elvis was able to turn it into a serious, moving performance. They had been unimpressed with his cover of Hound Dog, but this was the song that convinced them Elvis had some real talent. IIRC, Loving You was the first song L&S wrote specifically for Elvis.

BTW, I have a suggestion for this thread. I think it would work a lot better if you made it an album and singles thread, taking both in chronology. Having a chronological discussion of Elvis and skipping the non-album singles seems odd, since much of his best work was the singles. I suppose they can be dealt with via the Golden Records comps, but to me it makes more sense to discuss Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel between the first two albums, rather than much later.

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think the album is inferior to the debut on the whole. Still a very good album, but there is a sort of new slickness to the recordings... the raw Sun sound is gone. Also, some of the material is lacking. "First in Line" and especially "How's The World Treating You" are overwrought, and Elvis hadn't developed the skill and subtlety with a ballad he would later show. And while the Little Richard covers are all fine, they won't make anyone forget the originals. Unlike the covers on his previous album, he really brings nothing new to them. My favorite tracks are "Love Me" and "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold" but overall this is probably my least favorite Elvis session of the 50s (except of course for the Love Me Tender soundtrack stuff).

Purple Jim and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

i understand that, but i decided to run with the singles as part of the golden records sets .... The logistics of me trying to stay on top of that mess seem a little daunting ... i just wish they had put singles on albums back then, but it was a different world i guess.

5. mark winstanley

it's funny, with thoughts of Love me tender, it only struck me this morning that there was no album .... i was looking around trying to see if it had been released on another label due to movie licensing or something, and then i saw the EP. They really liked to mess catalogs up didn't they

6. mark winstanley

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Singles were far more important than albums back then. And as you noted, there's non-album EPs as well as singles throughout the 50s and 60s. Sticking to albums-only is going to make for a disjointed discussion in many ways. The four songs from Love Me Tender for example are scattered across four different albums. Jailhouse Rock is not much better. I would urge you to reconsider the album-only focus.

8. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Forum Resident

I think that 'Elvis' (LPM-1382) is a much stronger work as an album than Elvis's first (LPM-1254), even if it could be argued that the first album contains greater highlights. There are no leftovers here. Elvis had learned much more about serving as his own producer by this period, and everything sounds really good on this album.

I really love Elvis's almost hillbilly takes on the two Little Richard songs, Rip It Up and Long Tall Sally. While Tutti Frutti kinda flopped because Elvis hadn't quite figured out how to translate Richard's style to his own, he found a way to make it work here. Can we just take a minute to appreciate Scotty's guitar work on this album? It's out-of-this-world good, and the solos in these songs blister.

You also have two world-class ballad performances with 'Love Me', that would ever after be a signature song, and 'Old Shep', which is a song that was always close to Elvis's heart. 'Old Shep' is a great example of Elvis being able to make something very moving out of material that has no right to be. It was a song that evidently struck a chord with him, because he sang it early and often.

Shawn says that if there's ever an underrated Elvis cut, that it has to be 'When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again'. I agree that it's great, and think you could make the same argument for so many tracks on the album - 'Paralyzed', 'Alyplace Is Paradise', 'How Do You Think I Feel?'

To me, this album's highlight-of-highlights is this brilliant cut of Arthur Crudup's 'So Glad You're Mine'. It's a rock/blues hybrid that doesn't sacrifice anything. The band is ON FIRE here, and Elvis matches their intensity blow for blow. Seriously, listen to the interplay of the bass drums and guitar during Scotty's solo. It's magic (as was so much from those New York sessions).

I want to make a few observations about a song on the album that I used to skip over, and slowly gained an appreciation for. First In Line is a very interesting entry in a long series of sonically experimental ballads Elvis produced that began with Blue Moon at sun. Elvis seemed to have an affinity with seeing what kind of atmospheres he could make by blending his voice and different types of echo, and just as he pushed Sam Phillips' tape delay past it's breaking point to make the haunting, ghostly double-imaged falsetto of Blue Moon, he does a similar thing here with the RCA echo well. His voice is so drenched that it creates a chasm at the center of the track. It's as if you're not actually hearing a performance, but rather the after-echoes of one from somewhere far, far away. When combined with the syrupy romance of the lyric, it lends the song a desolate feel. It's as if he's conjuring an image of someone alone in an alleyway, remembering the qualities of a former loved one, rather than meeting this beauty face to face.

In both of these instances, Elvis uses performance and production choices to bend what are fundamentally romantic song toward lonely, haunted directions. First In Line isn't nearly as successful as Blue Moon, but they reveal an interesting underlying motivation that needs to be further studied.

9. mark winstanley

Fantastic summary. Enjoyed that very much.

kingofthejungle likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Ok, you won me. Just bear with me as I reassess this puppy

czeskleba likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Heartbreak Hotel/ I Was The One
    "Heartbreak Hotel" is a song recorded by American singer Elvis Presley. It was released as a single on January 27, 1956, Presley's first on his new record label RCA Victor.[1] It was written by Tommy Durden and Mae Boren Axton.

A newspaper article about the suicide of a lonely man who jumped from a hotel window inspired the lyrics. Axton presented the song to Presley in November 1955 at a country music convention in Nashville. Presley agreed to record it, and did so on January 10, 1956, in a session with his band, The Blue Moon Boys, the guitarist Chet Atkins, and the pianist Floyd Cramer. "Heartbreak Hotel" comprises an eight-bar blues progression, with heavy reverberation throughout the track, to imitate the character of Presley's Sun recordings.

The single topped Billboard's Top 100 chart for seven weeks, Cashbox's pop singles chart for six weeks, was No. 1 on the Country and Western chart for seventeen weeks and reached No. 3 on the R&B chart, becoming Presley's first million-seller, and one of the best-selling singles of 1956. "Heartbreak Hotel" achieved unheard feats as it reached the top 5 of Country and Western, pop, and Rhythm 'n' Blues charts simultaneously.[2] It would eventually be certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. Presley had first performed "Heartbreak Hotel" during a live show in December 1955 during a tour of the Louisiana Hayride, but the song gained strong popularity after his appearance on Stage Show in March 1956. It became a staple of Presley's repertoire in live appearances, last performed by him on May 29, 1977, at the Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland.

In 1995 "Heartbreak Hotel" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and in 2004 Rolling Stone magazine named it one of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time". That year it was also included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll". A rock and roll standard, since its original release "Heartbreak Hotel" has been covered by several rock and pop acts, including Willie Nelson and Leon Russell, who recorded a duet version that topped the Country charts in 1979.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This is the song. This song got me into Elvis. Such an original sounding song, even today this song is in its own world and class. Elvis' First number one and what a corker of a tune.

12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I've always thought a smart director will one day use this recording as a backdrop to a slow developing, creepy, dark scene in a horror/suspense movie.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  13. mark winstanley

minkahed likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

Ladies and Gentlemen
    Please bear with me as I get this thread in order. Due to an understandable request I am going to do my best to include the singles and b-sides.
    It has been annoying me personally that some songs are waiting for the Golden albums to be seen and heard. To be honest I was avoiding the singles on the grounds that it is honestly a daunting enough task doing this, without compounding it tenfold. I will list EP's, but may not run all the songs, we'll see how we go.

Please feel free to comment on the "Elvis" album or anything else we have done.
    Tomorrow I will start posting the singles released during the time of the first album (unless they are on the first album) and hen we have caught up, I will start with the tracks from the second album.
    I hope this is not an annoyance to anybody, but please discuss the many things we already have down here and there will be more to come obviously ..... a lot more :eek:

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

David Lynch did something like that in Blue Velvet, using Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" which now sounds forever spooky.
    Tim Burton also made clever, weird use of Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call" for the climax of Mars Attacks..

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Absolutely. An other-worldly atmosphere to that one and Elvis's vocal is pure magic.

17. mark winstanley

Heartbreak Hotel EP
    As With Most singles Heartbreak Hotel also came out as an EP .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

minkahed likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

I Want You I need You I Love You/My Baby Left Me
    "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" is a song written by Maurice Mysels and Ira Kosloff, and produced by Steve Sholes.[1] It is best known for being Elvis Presley's seventh single release on the RCA Victor label.[1] It was released in May 1956, becoming Presley's second number 1 single on the country music charts, and peaking at number 3 on the US Billboard Top 100 chart, an earlier version of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.[1] Before the creation of the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1958, there were a number of charts including Jukebox plays, Store charts, and Airplay charts; the song reached number 1 on the Billboard Top Sellers in Stores chart.[2]

During April 1956, Variety reported that Presley's sixth RCA Victor single, "Heartbreak Hotel", had sold one million copies.[3] RCA Victor producer Steve Sholes wanted a strong single for the next release, aware that there was not much good material available.[3] Due to Presley's busy touring schedule, Sholes needed to get him into the studio as soon as possible. Presley and his band chartered a small propeller airplane to Nashville for one day of recording between shows.[3]

En route from Amarillo, the airplane developed engine trouble and fell through the sky several times.[3] Upon arrival in Nashville on the morning of April 14, all four were disconcerted.[3] Presley arrived at the RCA Victor Studios without ideas for the recording session and therefore had no choice but to use Sholes' suggestions, one of which was "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You".[3]

Being used to later working hours, coupled with his traumatic experience during his overnight flight, the recording session was bad.[3] Take after take was ruined for one reason or another and the band was not relaxed. Presley, usually a very quick study with a song, couldn't get the lyrics right. After 17 takes in three hours,[3] Sholes decided Presley and the band weren't able to record properly and sent them home.

After the session, Sholes listened to the takes again. He wasn't happy with the results of what he considered to be an unprofessional and wasted session.[4] It had cost $1,000 to fly Presley and his band in by a private flight, and Sholes let Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, know that he was unsatisfied with the work and required material urgently for a second album.[4] He knew that with Presley's busy touring schedule it could be months before RCA Victor got him back into a studio. Performing what was a very rare and generally unsuccessful procedure for the 1950s, Sholes took parts of two takes he liked (takes 14 and 17), cut and spliced them together to create a take worthy of release.[1] His cuts were so seamless, nobody at RCA Victor could tell it wasn't from a single take.

"I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" was backed with "My Baby Left Me" and was released on May 4, 1956.[5] Pre-orders of over 300,000 were the biggest ever in the history of the company. At the time of its release, Presley had three songs in the Top 20: "Heartbreak Hotel/I Was the One," "My Baby Left Me", and "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You". On June 5, 1956, Presley performed the song on The Milton Berle Show, as well as an early version of "Hound Dog"[5] that resulted in both overwhelmingly favorable audience reaction and outrage.[5]

Despite the heated public controversy, the single was generally well received, reaching No. 3 on the Billboard Top 100 popular music singles chart, and scoring No. 1 on the country music chart.[1] The song earned a second Gold record for Presley, with sales in excess of 1.3 million.[1]
    --------------------------
    Another one of my favourite early Elvis songs. These songs are the reason I used to play my Parents Uk Golden records lp a lot.

minkahed likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Love Me Tender
    [​IMG]
    EP by Elvis Presley
    Released
    November 1956
    Recorded August–September 1956
    Genre Country, rockabilly
    Length 9:31
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Lionel Newman
    Elvis Presley chronology
    Elvis
    (1956) Love Me Tender
    (1956) Peace in the Valley
    (1957)
    Love Me Tender is an EP by Elvis Presley, containing the four songs from the motion picture of the same name. It was released by RCA in November 1956. The EP peaked at #9 on Top Pop Albums chart with sales of over 600,000,[1] as well as making it to #35 on the singles chart. It was simultaneously certified Gold and Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America on March 27, 1992.[2]

The film was originally intended to be a straight acting role for Presley,[1] but due to the popularity of the single "Love Me Tender" and Colonel Tom Parker's desire to promote Presley's films with a soundtrack and vice versa,[1] four songs were added to the film. Parker would very seldom deviate from this formula for the remainder of Presley's film career.

Instead of a full long-playing album soundtrack, for Love Me Tender the four songs appearing in the film were released as an extended-play or E.P. seven-inch 45 RPM record on RCA Victor, Love Me Tender, catalog EPA 4006, during November 1956.[1]

The four EP soundtrack songs were recorded at Fox's Stage One in Hollywood, at three sessions on August 24, September 4, and October 1, 1956. The title song was released as a single on September 28, 1956, and went to #1 on the singles chart. The music was based on the Civil War ballad "Aura Lee," with new lyrics by Ken Darby.[1] Darby, in fact, wrote all of the soundtrack songs, but credited them to his wife, Vera Matson, while Parker cut his publishing company, Hill and Range, in on the royalties by further crediting the writing to Presley as well.[1] A reprise of "Love Me Tender" was recorded on October 1 and is heard at the end of the film; this short track was not released until after Presley's death.[1] The sessions for these songs were the only time in the decade that Presley recorded with musicians outside his regular coterie.[1]

Side one
    1. "Love Me Tender" August 24, 1956 - 2:41
    2. "Let Me" September 4, 1956 - 2:08
    Side two
    1. "Poor Boy" August 24, 1956 - 2:13
    2. "We're Gonna Move" August 24, 1956 - 2:30

-------------------------------------------------
    Love Me Tender is an Elvis' signature tune and to this day holds up very well in his catalog of recordings. I doubt there are many people who aren't familiar with it to some degree
    Poor Boy is a great rock and roll song and appears on an up coming album also.

minkahed likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

Good resources for information

elvisrecords.com | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database Thanks @Shawn
    Elvis Presley U.K. Discography Thanks @Purple Jim
    Elvis Presley 1956 | The King of Rock 'n' Roll
    Elvis Presley in Canada | Official Graceland Blog
    Elvis Presley Recording Sessions Thanks @MEMPHISSUN

The roots, for those unaware - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Crudup Connection - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis and Sun Studios - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Sun Recordings (some, not all) -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Baby Let's Play House Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Mystery Train Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis Presley - March 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 I'm Counting On You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 I Got A Woman Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 One Sided Love Affair Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 5 I Love You Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 6 Just Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 7 Tutti Frutti Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 8 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    Tryin' to get to you Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 9 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (and cry)Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 10 I'll Never Let You Go (li'l darlin') Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    tarck 11 Blue Moon Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 12 Money Honey Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Singles 1956 - part 1
    Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side I Was The One Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Heartbreak Hotel EP Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Want You I Need You I Love You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side My Baby Left me

Elvis - October 1956

Love Me Tender EP - November 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 Let Me Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 Poor Boy Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 We're Gonna Move Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Complete Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on 29. Sept 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    another edit - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Newspaper Articles
    Clean it up - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right and the Hayride - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Concert Review 1957? - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

22. mark winstanley

My baby Left Me
    Such a great song for a b-side. Starts off with some great tone setting drums and then a bass comes pumping in. As the song moves into gear we have a rock and roll rockabilly type groove going on. Great great song.

minkahed likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

Ok sorry about the post frenzy folks. Just trying to get this baby organised.
    Tomorrow I'm going to just post the next single and b-side and hopefully we can get caught up and move into the second album and I will have a rhythm back
    Again apologies, I was going to avoid the singles as individual items due to the kind of cluster .... I thought it may become ... I promise I'll bring this all back together.
    Cheers,
    Mark

24. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Unbelievably GREAT. If I had to single out one performance from the 50s, this is it. :cool:

I absolutely love this track. Alongside 'My Baby Left Me', it still felt modern to this young punk rocker, back in long ago 1977 when I started getting into Elvis' music, because his performance still sounded unbelievably exciting and sexually dangerous. Gelled totally with where I was at musically at the time...and to this day!

25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m eager to familiarize myself with more of Elvis’s material, primarily his 50’s rock. I ordered The King of Rock and Roll: The Complete 50’s Masters box set. I know that there are mixed reviews about the sound quality on that set, but the tracklist looked great.

That being said, I can’t get iTunes to rip some of the songs from that set. No matter what I do, I get error message after error message. I know that this is a bit off-topic (I found another thread that was closed), but I figured others here must have this box set and maybe experienced the same problem. Was there something odd about these CDs?

Also, the packaging sucks. Getting those CDs out is nuts!

mark winstanley likes this.