Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

I love these first Sun sides and the songs are so varied! Elvis had an incredible vocal range and diversity of styles.
    As said above, there was a lot of "Rock 'n' Roll" around at the time (and even before Elvis) but it was more derivative of swing/Western swing, boogie and jump blues. Elvis, Scotty and Bill's stripped down approach (like Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins) gave it all a fresher feel, turning the page on the popular music of the 40s.

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was the first album (released in 1976) to collect together and present the sun sides in a coherant fashion.

3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes, in the U.S.

This came out in the U.K. in 1975. Elvis Presley - The Sun Collection
    Elvis sees this record for the first time during one of his live shows. He didn't even know it existed.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

And the original UK version from 1975 is called "The Sun Collection". More than its original title, it was assembled and mastered by Boppin' Bob Jones and Roger Semon, and was the first collection purely of the Sun sides available then, and they used the best available earliest UK version tapes, without loads of echo that RCA-US had added over the years. The 1976 US version lifted the track order and the rear liner notes, but was sloppily assembled by any old tapes RCA-US came across, many songs full of added echo and reverb. From 1975, it is all analog. If you want a pure analog LP of the Sun masters, seek this out.
    [​IMG]

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Have this 78 on the shelf, very happy having this as it'll be as close as i'll get to being to the original.
    Well done Mr White for presenting this release, very cool indeed.
    [​IMG]

6. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Elvis Presley, Charlotte Observer, 26th June 1956

The Crudup Connection: 5th July 1954 revisited

A wonderful essay about Arthur Crudup's influence on Elvis that reshaped my view of his recording of 'That's Alright'. Definitely worth a read if you haven't come across it already.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
    "I Don't Care If the Sun Don't Shine" is a popular song written by Mack David. The most popular version was done by Patti Page in 1950. The Page recording was issued by Mercury Records as catalog number 5396, and first reached the Billboard chart on May 20, 1950, lasting nine weeks and peaking at #8. It was her first Top 10 hit.[1]

The song was also one of the first recordings by Elvis Presley.

A Dean Martin version of the song was featured in the 1953 film Scared Stiff starring Martin and Jerry Lewis. The Patti Page recording is featured in the movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Guy Pearce also briefly sings excerpts of this song in the film, as does Terence Stamp and Hugo Weaving. The first Spanish-language version was recorded by Marco Tulio Sanchez, the precursor of rockabilly in his country Colombia during the 1980s.[citation needed] Canada's Reid Jamiesoncovers the song on his 1950s era tribute The Presley Sessions revisited (2015)
    --------------------------------
    This was the first Elvis single to chart, hitting 74 on the "US Hot" chart (which I assume was before the current Billboard chart. It is an infectious and fun song with the appearance of guitar case percussion? Anyhow just another example of how fresh these guys sounded.

8. mark winstanley

You're A Heartbreaker
    "You're a Heartbreaker" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley in December 1954 during the fourth of Presley's now-legendary eight sessions at Memphis' Sun Studio. The recording was released as Presley's third single on the Sun label (Sun 215), whose B-side was a cover of Kokomo Arnold's "Milkcow Blues Boogie".
    The song was recorded "November or December, 1954"[1] with personnel:

The single was reissued on RCA Victor records (47-6382). It is listed as 2:10 minutes long, with the publisher Hill & Range BMI. It was also later included on Elvis' seventh studio album, For LP Fans Only in 1959.
    --------------------------------------------
    This is one of my favourite early Elvis songs and have fond memories of hearing it on the UK Elvis golden records.
    Does anyone know who's doing the percussion, and is it the old guitar case drums?

9. mark winstanley

Milk Cow Blues Boogie - b-side to you're a heartbreaker
    "Milkcow Blues Boogie"
    [​IMG]
    Single by Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill
    A-side
    "You're a Heartbreaker"
    Released January 8, 1955
    Format 78 & 45 rpm records
    Recorded November or December 1954
    Studio Sun, Memphis, Tennessee
    Genre Rockabilly
    Length 2:39
    Label Sun
    Songwriter(s) Kokomo Arnold
    Elvis Presley, on guitar, accompanied by Scotty Moore on guitar recorded a rockabilly version retitled "Milkcow Blues Boogie" at Sun Records in November or December 1954.[7] The arrangement was closer to Wills' version than to the Arnold original.[6]

Sun Records released the song as a single in January 8, 1955, with "You're a Heartbreaker" as the flipside.[7] RCA Victor Records also released the single in December 1955. It was later included on Presley's 1959 album A Date with Elvis.[7]
    --------------------------------
    I love the way this starts and that particular method has been replicated by a few bands since ... the no lets do it this way idea .... very cool indeed.

10. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident

But what's really interesting is that Elvis's "That's All Right" is far from just a "cover" of the Crudrup song. He pieced it together from at least five different songs like "Dirt Road Blues" and "If I Get Lucky", and even added a few bits he apparently came up with himself. So much for the "copy cat" accusations! It's all in the wonderful essay by George Smith that GillyT posted a link to.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Great. Thanks for the link.
    In the article it implies that it was a really big deal that Elvis covered a blues song. It was hardly the first time as various variety and jazz artists had been doing blues numbers for ages. For example:

I assume the big deal about Elvis was because it was a "rural blues" being covered by a guy from the more segregationist South.

12. mark winstanley

finally had a chance to read that mate. That's brilliant. Thank you very much.
    If anyone breezed over this, do yourself a favour and have a read of it.

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is somewhat amazing, isn't? There was so much side-product being issued that he clearly did not keep track of it and had generally lost interest in his recorded output. The funny thing is I always liked the odd artwork from the U.S. version.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great !!!!
    About time.
    What with the Frank Zappa thread..what next the other Frank thread, this time...
    S I N A T R A?:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Isn't the audio of him seeing that LP for the first time on an FTD?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. alexpop

Scotty's lead break has a bit of Rave On flavour to it.

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Looking forward to this.

Shouldn't we change the title to the official "Album By Album" moniker?

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

FTD's "Dinner At Eight," the 12/13/75 dinner show. One of the better 1975 soundboards.

23. alexpop

Uncut : Have they done a Elvis Presley album by album Special Magazine yet ?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Idk, im not very official

25. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

The roots, for those unaware
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Crudup Connection - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Sun Recordings (some, not all) -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Upstate Cate and Crimson Witch like this.