Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. mark winstanley

3. mark winstanley

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I'm loving all these pictures. It's nice seeing him in the studio, performing, and just plain interacting with the fans.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

7. mark winstanley

8. mark winstanley

9. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

That's Lamar Fike to Elvis' left, correct? Good grief!!!! Him and Elvis next to each other is quite the A-B experiment. And then not to state the obvious but the Colonel's ever gazing eye is right behind Fike's shoulder.....if you have more of these keep 'em coming

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Too Much - This starts well but quickly goes into cheesey territory with those awful backing vocals. Scotty's solo is terrific when it comes in but yes, he blew it.

11. mark winstanley

"All Shook Up"
    [​IMG]
    Single by Elvis Presley
    B-side
    "That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
    Released March 22, 1957
    Recorded January 12, 1957, Radio Recorders, Hollywood, California
    Genre Rock and roll, rhythm and blues, Rockabilly
    Length 1:57
    Label RCA Victor
    Songwriter(s) Otis Blackwell and Elvis Presley
    Elvis Presley singles chronology
    "Too Much" / "Playing for Keeps"
    (1957) "All Shook Up"
    (1957) "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" / "Loving You"
    (1957)
    Music video
    "All Shook Up" (audio) on YouTube
    "All Shook Up" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley, published by Elvis Presley Music, and composed by Otis Blackwell. The single topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on April 13, 1957, staying there for eight weeks.[1] It also topped the Billboard R&B chart for four weeks, becoming Presley's second single to do so, and peaked at No. 1 on the country chart as well.[1] It is certified 2X Platinum by the RIAA.

It was ranked #352 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Blackwell wrote the song at the offices of Shalimar Music in 1956 after Al Stanton, one of Shalimar's owners, shaking a bottle of Pepsi at the time, suggested he write a song based on the phrase "all shook up."[1]

According to Peter Guralnick the song has a different origin. In his book Last Train to Memphis he wrote that Elvis thought "All Shook Up" was a good phrase for a refrain. For this he received a co-writing credit.[2]

Elvis himself, during an interview on October 28, 1957, said: "I've never even had an idea for a song. Just once, maybe. I went to bed one night, had quite a dream, and woke up all shook up. I phoned a pal and told him about it. By morning, he had a new song, 'All Shook Up'." [3]

Future Last House on the Left actor David Hess, using the stage name David Hill, was the first to record the song and release it a few weeks before Elvis on Aladdin Records, titled "I'm All Shook Up". In a 2009 interview, Hess revealed the origins of the song, and claimed to come up with the title of the song: "As far as ‘All Shook Up’, the title came from a real set of circumstances and when I decided not to write it, Otis Blackwell did and I had the first recording for Alladin Records. It was my title, but Otis wrote the song and Presley took a writing credit in order to get him to record it. That’s the way things happened in those days."[4][5][6]

Vicki Young recorded a different song with the same title, "(I'm) All Shook Up", on Capitol Records with Big Dave and His Orchestra, written by Bill Bellman and Hal Blaine in 1956.[7]

On January 12, 1957, Presley recorded the song at Radio Recorders in Hollywood.[1] The duet vocal on the record is by the Jordanaires first tenor Gordon Stoker. Take 10 was selected for release, and in March the song entered Billboard's Top 100 chart at #25.[1] Within three weeks it had knocked Perry Como's "Round and Round" off the top spot, and stayed there for eight consecutive weeks.[1] The song also became Presley's first No.1 hit on the UK Singles Chart, remaining there for seven weeks.[8] Sales of the single exceeded two million,[1] and the song was named Billboard's Year End number one song for 1957.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What can someone say about this song really. This is a Rock And Roll classic and there would be few people over the age of 25-30 that wouldn't know this song

12. mark winstanley

"That's When Your Heartaches Begin"
    Song by Elvis Presley
    Released
    March 1957
    Recorded July 18, 1953, Sun Studio, Memphis, Tennessee (acetate)
    January 13, 1957, Radio Recorders, Hollywood, California
    Length 2:52 (1953 acetate)
    3:28 (1957 single)
    Label RCA Victor
    Songwriter(s) Fred Fisher
    William Raskin
    Billy Hill
    "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley on at least three occasions, most notably the first time in July 1953, when it was one of the two first songs recorded by Presley at Sun Records for a demo acetate he allegedly gave to his mother as a birthday present. The song was originally recorded by The Ink Spots & written by original Ink Spots member Huey Long.

While the song did not see any fame until Presley's recordings in the 50s, the song was actually written in 1937 by Fred Fisher, William Raskin and Billy Hill. It was recorded and released the same year by Shep Fields Rippling Rhythm, and again by the Ink Spots in 1941. R&B male soprano Billy Bunn and His Buddies recorded the song for RCA, which was released in 1952 to positive reviews. On July 18, 1953, a young Elvis Presley entered Sun Records in Memphis, where he paid $3.98 for enough studio time to record a double-sided acetate single. On the A-side, he recorded "My Happiness", later made famous by Connie Francis in 1958, while he recorded "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" for the B-side.[1]

He would later revisit the song on at least two occasions, the first during the famous Million Dollar Quartet sessions on December 4, 1956, and the second when he re-recorded the song in January 1957 as a B-side to "All Shook Up".
    ---------------------------------------------------
    When people ask what Elvis' favourite song from the Sun days was, one must consider this as one of them, as he recorded it a few times.
    This is another of my favourite early ballads. I have loved this song since i was about seven years old.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Man, that gold suit/jacket was awesome.

14. mark winstanley

Easy song and album guide

Good resources for information

elvisrecords.com | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database Thanks @Shawn
    Elvis Presley U.K. Discography Thanks @Purple Jim
    Elvis Presley 1956 | The King of Rock 'n' Roll
    Elvis Presley in Canada | Official Graceland Blog
    Elvis Presley Recording Sessions Thanks @MEMPHISSUN

The roots, for those unaware - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Crudup Connection - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis and Sun Studios - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

The Sun Recordings (some, not all) -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Baby Let's Play House Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Mystery Train Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis Presley - March 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 I'm Counting On You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 I Got A Woman Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 One Sided Love Affair Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 5 I Love You Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 6 Just Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 7 Tutti Frutti Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 8 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    Tryin' to get to you Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 9 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (and cry)Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 10 I'll Never Let You Go (li'l darlin') Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    tarck 11 Blue Moon Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 12 Money Honey Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Singles 1956
    Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side I Was The One Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

I Want You I Need You I Love You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I want you I need you I love you - live Milton Berle Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side My Baby Left me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Don't Be Cruel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (bside - but essentially double a side) Hound Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Shale Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Lawdy Miss Clawdy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

(Love Me Tender, single b-side) Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Ed Sullivan Show 9 Sept, 28 Oct, 6 Jan 57(Including Footage) - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

The Complete Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on 29. Sept 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    another edit - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Some Elvis EP's
    Heartbreak Hotel EP Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's Alright Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    The Real Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Shake Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Elvis - October 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 1 Rip It Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Love Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Long Tall Sally Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 First In Line Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Paralyzed Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Paralyzed (rock and roll dancing) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 So Glad Your Mine Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Old Shep Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Ready Teddy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Ready Teddy tv performance Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Anyplace Is Paradise Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 How's The World Treating You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 How Do You Think I Feel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Interviews 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Love Me Tender EP - November 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 Let Me Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 Poor Boy Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 We're Gonna Move Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Singles 1957
    Too Much Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Too Much Ed Sullivan show Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Playing For Keeps Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

All Shook Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side That's When Your Heartaches Begin Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Newspaper Articles
    Clean it up - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right and the Hayride - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Concert Review 1957? - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"That's When Your Heartaches Begin" is one of my favorite early Elvis cuts. I even bought one of the FTDs just so I could have this one track in premium sound.

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In between the second album and the start of 1957, we have the Million Dollar Quartet session on 12/4/56. One thing that's fascinating about the MDQ is that it seemingly had a direct inspiration on Elvis' first recordings of the new year. I think it's no coincidence that Elvis decided to record a gospel EP just a few weeks after performing a batch of gospel songs with Carl and Jerry Lee, and I suspect it was his enjoyment of the MDQ session that gave him the idea to do it.

And I think the same is likely true of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin." Elvis' return to Sun inspired him to reminisce about his first-ever recording and then play a version for the guys, and I would bet this was what gave him the idea to do a proper studio take of the song and release it a few weeks later. I also find it interesting that by December 1956 Elvis had already forgotten what he did with his original "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" acetate (leaving it at his friend Ed Leek's house, where it would sit for the next 30 years).

23. mark winstanley

nice info, and a nice drawing together of the timeline.
    Cheers

24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Too Much - One of the more underrated Elvis hits from the 50s. "You're the most" hasn't aged well, but it's pretty solid otherwise.

Playing For Keeps - This one always knocks me out: "Please don't make me sorry/That I fell in love with you." No one can convey the meaning of a lyric better than Elvis.

All Shook Up/That's When Your Heartaches Begin - This was Elvis' weakest single to date, imo. All Shook Up is fun, but I can't stand the dreary TWYHB (I don't even like the Sun version).

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Elvis' best version of Heartaches is the MDQ version, just Elvis with his guitar. The January 1957 recording is too staid and formal-sounding. That same criticism would apply to the four gospel songs he did around the same time, all of which lack the joy and energy of the MDQ gospel performances.