Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

these things are just hilarious
    [​IMG]

Purple Jim and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And most level-headed Elvis fans seem to be on this forum. :)

3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The Gorts keep the a-holes away!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. NumberEight

I’ve Gort Confidence that they do. ;)

5. mark winstanley

This is an interesting composite of live footage from 1957 ... It isn't really synced to the music, but there doesn't seem to be much around from those days. It's pretty cool to watch despite its flaws.

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

7. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

How I'd love to be in the crowd at one of those 1957 tour concerts. Must have been mind blowing, also wouldn't mind seeing a 1969 concert either :p

8. mark winstanley

Paul Lee likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

It would be so nice just to have one complete concert from each era. It is so disappointing that seemingly the only proper live document is the Aloha show, and as much as I enjoy it, it is one of the poorest Elvis performances I have heard.

10. mark winstanley

As we have been through both of those songs already, I'm going to add the next track also. Please feel free to re-examine them though, especially the ricky version of Loving You

11. mark winstanley

Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do
    Recorded January 12 1957 at the Radio Recorders sessions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The song was written by Aaron Schroeder and Ben Weisman.[1][2] The latter, a songwriter from New York, came (according to the book Elvis Day by Day, „presumably in hopes of seeing that his song, "Got a Lot O' Livin' to Do," [would] be included in the soundtrack“) to the recording studio in Hollywood where Presley was working on the songs for the movie.[3][4] Elvis Presley later recalled:

I looked at him, smiled, asked his name, and why he was in the studio. He said he was Ben Weisman, and he had composed the song "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do". I hollered at the guys to come out and we started playing the song. After that day, Ben and I became really good friends and he would wind up writing fifty-seven songs for me. Funny how chance meetings end up![5]

No other songwriter wrote as many songs for Presley as Ben Weisman did.[4]

In Europe "Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do!" was released as a single with "Party" on the other side.[6] Both songs appeared on the UK Singles Chart (as published by the Official Charts Company): "Party" charted 15 weeks, peaking at number 2 for the week of October 10, while "Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do!" charted 4 weeks, peaking at number 17 for the week of October 24.[7]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I find it so hard to believe that this wasn't a number one song. It has a great beat, and inspired vocal full of personality, great instrumental track and it just screams big hit to me.
    It appears not to have been released as a single in the US, and its release as a single in Europe only got to 17, so what do I know ....
    Still I reckon its a fantastic song.

12. mark winstanley

A scene from the movie

Paul Lee likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

The movie version after Deke has made it

artfromtex likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

oh dear, that should be Rocky obviously :doh:

15. NumberEight

Now you tell me! I’ve just ploughed through the whole of Disc 2 of the FTD Loving You CD in a vain attempt to find the legendary “Ricky” version... ;)

16. mark winstanley

yea early morning, cough syrup, sudafed .... not a good combo ... i'm just glad nobody tracked down a ricky martin version to post :)

NumberEight likes this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I love this performance. It is also a nice thing to see Gladys and Vernon in color.

I wish they would do a 4K restoration of "Loving You". I bet it would be stunning. 50's Elvis in Technicolor. How can ya beat that?

18. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Hopefully this fits in here, but I went into HMV today and they are stocking the reissue of "Yakety Yak: The Leiber-Stoller Big Band," a 1960 album containing big band versions of Leiber & Stoller songs. With the artist credited to Leiber & Stoller Big Band, you think it's going to be a bunch of studio musicians with bland arrangements. Instead, the band turns out to be the Basie band without its leader, and Basie arranger Frank Foster on arrangement duties. It really is a blast, and of course one of the songs on the album is...

Other Elvis tracks are Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, and Don't. It's great fun, and done very well indeed.

As regards to artfromtex's comment about the film of Loving You, it's genuinely crying out for a decent blu ray release, and has never really been served that well on DVD even, with some issues in pan and scan format. I don't know who owns the rights these days - is it Paramount? If so, there's more chance of pigs flying than seeing a blu-ray anytime soon.

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

21. Loving You is my favorite Elvis soundtrack. Absolutely love it, including ‘Lonesome Cowboy’.

My dad gave me his copy of this album (along with King Creole and Golden Records) when I was something like 5 or 6 years old. This after seeing a TV commercial for that 2LP mail order Elvis set... and watching the TV just to see/hear that commercial. Those albums are what started me on my lifelong musical journey, and will always hold a special place for me.

And this movie screams for a 4K Blu-ray release!

22. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

The fast version of Loving You is on disc 58 of the complete albums set. From The Vaults '50s

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

cheers mate.
    I still haven't had time to look at the book yet lol .... i've just been sliding discs in when i get in the car :)

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley