Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. mark winstanley

3. mark winstanley

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

That other guy looks familiar...

Shawn, artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

i hadn't noticed lol .... nice one

NumberEight likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

As for the Loving You LP, I only really like the song Loving You and Mean Woman Blues. Side two is adequate but nothing that really moves me. I really do not care for Teddy Bear or the rest of the soundtrack material. As LPs from the 50s go, it is by far the least of them all.

7. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I would agree with you with regards the LP being the least important of the 50s. The second side is an early example of songs being scraped together for fulfilling a quota.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

But the initial sales for Loving You were much better than the initial sales of all the 50s LPs that came after it. But, of course, through the years many surpassed it. The Jailhouse Rock version of Don't Leave Me Now, trounces the Loving You version too!

9. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Forum Resident

Loving You is most important for ushering in what I sometimes refer to as the "high 50's" Elvis style. Elvis's vocals are becoming looser and more expressive, more confident, and more "Elvisy" than ever before. 'Mean Woman Blues' is a perfect example of this style - listen to the way he utterly sheds the articulating sounds in the "sometimes I think she's almost mean as me" line. He's also learned how to really lean into the raw and ragged qualities in his voice, making it rock like never before. I have a feeling if he'd done his Little Richard covers in 57 instead of 56, he would have thoroughly surpassed what he was able to capture the year before.

I think 'Mean Woman Blues' is one of the three truly great tracks on the album, (it's so good it would have been more at home on King Creole) but I think Loving You has a strong middle class of really good tracks. 'Teddy Bear' gets a bad rap because it's hit status has made it eclipse many much better cuts, but just listen to the deliberate way Elvis makes 'baby let me be' roll with a coy bounce and it's obvious why it was a hit. 'Got a Lot of Livin' To Do' and 'Party' are both fun and energetic, if a bit goofy, and I may be the only one who adores 'Lonesome Cowboy', but I find it utterly persuasive. The arrangement is so evocative - a little bit prairie anthem, a little bit brooding mystery. Elvis belts out the opening lines with the drama of lightning flashes, but it's his lilting whistle answered by the rising harmonies of the Jordanaires, and the tenderness with which he finesses lines like "will I ever leave this lonesome valley, really see the lights that shine..." that make the song something more than it should be. Elvis latches on to the lines that appeal to the dreamer in him, and gives the lyrics a feeling of genuine yearning, of reaching for destiny just beyond the horizon. I think it's fabulous.

I think the weakest tracks on the first side are the two Lieber and Stoller songs. 'Hot Dog' is ok, I guess - but when paired with the 'Mean Woman Blues', 'Got A Lot of Livin' To Do', and 'Party' grouping, it's definitely of a lower caliber. 'Loving You' is a song that Elvis desperately wanted to make work. He did over 50 takes of the song in different arrangements, but I suspect he was never quite able to capture the spark that he was hoping for. It's easy to see why Elvis was drawn to the song, it has a brooding romantic melody of the type he liked in ballads, but the master has always seemed stale and lifeless compared to other 50's ballads - and I think I know what the problem was. The lyrics of 'Loving You' are too trite and generic, there's just not enough perspective in the lyrics to allow Elvis to create an emotionally layered performance the way he did with other ballads. This song was a real missed opportunity.

Side 2 is almost a complete waste of time, with one important exception. 'Blueberry Hill' ranks with 'Your Cheating Heart' as the most worthless of the 1950's masters recorded by Elvis. 'True Love' is another song that's just ok, and nothing more. This album's version of 'Don't Leave Me Now' made redundant by the far superior recording from 'Jailhouse Rock'. The elevator jazz intro of 'Have I Told You Lately That I Love You' makes the song seem more boring than it actually is, but it never really becomes anything too special. The one bright spot on side two is the masterful 'I Need You So', Elvis contorts his delivery in ways that must have sounded completely whacked in the context of the staid and sober 1950's - The whole song is like an abstracted, desperate cry, and it's a stylization that's initially jarring and I suspect that's deliberate - since the whole arrangement seems like it will fall apart at any moment - there's a sense of imminent collapse that when combined with the roller coaster swells and stops of Elvis's vocal performance gives the cut a unique tension. When everybody cuts loose on "When the day is doooonnnnneee...." the intensity boils over into a moment that's raw, passionate, and totally naked. It's a masterpiece.

BeatleJWOL, Revelator, DirkM and 5 others like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

I actually do not mind Lonesome Cowboy. I agree about Mean Woman Blues, it totally rips. I LOVE it. But I would not put Your Cheatin' Heart in Blueberry Hill company. I think Your Cheatin' Heart it fantastic, even though Elvis did not much care for it. I like both the master and the wilder take 9. And I really like the master version of Loving You.

And I see what you mean about had he postponed the Little Richard tunes from his 2nd LP until 1957 they could have been a far more convincing. I am not all that thrilled about his 2nd LP either for the most part.

11. kingofthejungle

Yeah, 'Mean Woman Blues' is great.

I also wanted to add a few words about the 1957 Gospel EP:

These recordings are important because they represent Elvis's first official foray into gospel as a recording artist, but I feel they fall short of being entirely successful because they are oddly tentative. To fully explain this, I might need to back up a bit.

I feel that one can only fully appreciate Elvis's aesthetic identity when one understands the debt that it owes to the Southern Gospel tradition - both black and white. His sense of drama, phrasing and arrangement owes far more to groups like The Statesmen Quartet and The Golden Gate Quartet than it does to the more celebrated influences of Arthur Crudup and Bill Monroe. Groups like the Statesmen Quartet were already blending black and white musical idioms in an era before Rock N' Roll, and they always featured a dynamic, expressive singer backed up by a quartet. Listen to some recordings of the Gospel Quartets Elvis loved - black and white - and you see a kind of foundation for his musical DNA. It's not an exaggeration to say that after he became a national recording artist, there was never a period in which he didn't have a Gospel Quartet backing him up (sometimes he even had more than one) - it was an essential part of his style.

So, it's somewhat surprising that given a chance to record a selection of songs from the music he grew up in, he shies away from his Southern Gospel roots and opts instead for 'sacred' selections more favored by pop artists like Frankie Laine or Tennessee Ernie Ford. It's almost as if Elvis felt embarrassed at being linked to something so outre...so idiomatically regional - like he felt he had to present a scrubbed and pressed version for his new national audience. I think this might be why this material isn't as successful as that of his later gospel albums His Hand In Mine and How Great Thou Art.

'Peace In The Valley' is alright, but a little too leaden and serious - where did the sensitivity that we hear in the Ed Sullivan version go? 'I Believe' is overwrought and self-important. 'It Is No Secret' is just ok. Only in 'Precious Lord, Take My Hand' does Elvis cross over into something transcendent, giving us a glimpse of the enduring power and personal resonance spiritual music held for him.

12. SKATTERBRANE

Although I never put that much thought into it. I totally agree with your assessment of the Gospel EP. His Hand In Mine is where his true colors and talent first showed through revealing his "roots" as it comes to Gospel music. And Peace In The Valley is featured on WAY too many non-gospel compilations for my taste. I am so tired of that song.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. kingofthejungle

I know what you mean. I think Elvis could have done a better recording of 'Peace In The Valley' if he'd just relaxed a little bit.

14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Okay, I pretty much agree with everybody else here on their take of Loving You, but I do think, much like @kingofthejungle, that Teddy Bear is a much stronger performance than many people think exactly because of Elvis's deceptively understated, but charming and nuanced vocals. I really do dig those doo-wop vocals from The Jordanaires as well. I like Elvis's version of the title track a lot, but agree with @kingofthejungle once again that Elvis was reaching for something better than he got after so many takes. I also kind of dig his copy cat version of Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill, if nothing else than for hearing Elvis's voice and Dudley Brooks great piano. I am a huge Fats Domino fan and saw him perform twice back to back at the Las Vegas Hilton lounge in 1975, while Elvis himself was playing the main showroom both nights. I was supposed to see Elvis as well, but for reasons beyond my control it did not happen, much to my great sadness. It is a long story that I have told somewhere on this forum before, and I will probably tell it again at the right time , if somebody wants to hear it.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Very astute analysis... you've summed up precisely what is lacking in this record. It's especially puzzling because there are some really transcendent gospel performances on the MDQ recording from just a month earlier. One wishes he would have taken a crack at "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" or "I Shall Not Be Moved" at these sessions. He just sounds so stiff and self conscious on these recordings. By contrast, when he tells Carl to slow down "Just a Little Talk With Jesus" and then begins singing "You may have doubts and fears..." on the MDQ recording, it's one of my all-time favorite Elvis moments:

16. SKATTERBRANE

Nothing wrong with Elvis' performance on Teddy Bear. It is just the song is not all that great. This is common later in the 60s soundtracks: singing great, song not so much.

mark winstanley and Purple Jim like this.
  17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

One of my favourite singles of his... Superb song.

18. mark winstanley

Lonesome Cowboy
    Written by Roy Bennett and Sid Tepper and recorded Jan 15 1957 at Radio Recorders Hollywood. Made up of a splice from takes 25 and 20.
    Well I see a lot of folks aren't so keen on this song, and that's cool, but I reckon it is very cool. I love the intro and I love the way it rolls into the clip clopping beat. It really is a movie song. I can almost visualise it. Personally I really like the atmosphere of the song and I think it works perfectly in the context of what it is.

19. mark winstanley

From the movie

Shawn and kingofthejungle like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Hot Dog
    Another Leiber and Stoller Song, recorded Jan 18 at Radio Recorders. Master take 17.
    This track is really short, just over a minute. Again this seems to be another track folks don't seem to have much time for, perhaps because it is so short. It is actually a fun little song and has a nice quick tempo. The song has an almost big band feel about it, and certainly some nice little little guitar lines in it. This isn't a contender for an Elvis greatest hits package, but I reckon it's a great little tune and delivers quite a bit of music in an incredibly small amount of time.

RSteven and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  21. mark winstanley

From the movie

GillyT likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

I slipped two in guys. I hope nobody minds, it's only four minutes of music, and most apparently don't think much of these two songs. I'm weird I guess, I reckon they are very cool.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley

The Music - Quick find quide

The Sun Recordings (some, not all)
    -
    My Happiness Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    The My happiness transfer to digital - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    That's All Right Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    You're A Heartbreaker Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Milk Cow Blues Boogie Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Baby Let's Play House Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    Mystery Train Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Sun EP's
    That's Alright Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Good Rockin' Tonight Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Jan 27 1956
    Heartbreak Hotel Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side I Was The One Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis Presley - March 23 - 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 I'm Counting On You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 I Got A Woman Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 One Sided Love Affair Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 5 I Love You Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 6 Just Because Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 7 Tutti Frutti Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 8 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    Tryin' to get to you Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 9 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (and cry)Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 10 I'll Never Let You Go (li'l darlin') Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    tarck 11 Blue Moon Elvis Presley - The Album Thread (Sun recording)
    track 12 Money Honey Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

March 23 1956
    Elvis Presley EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

double EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

April 20 1956
    Heartbreak Hotel EP Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

May 4 1956
    I Want You I Need You I Love You Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    b-side My Baby Left me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    I want you I need you I love you - live Milton Berle Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 8 1956

Shake Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

July 13 1956
    Don't Be Cruel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (bside - but essentially double a side) Hound Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

August 17 1956
    The Real Elvis Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Aug 31 1956 - 7 singles released
    Blue suede shoes/Tutti Frutti
    I got a woman/I'm counting on you
    I'll never let you go/I'm gonna sit right down and cry over you
    trying to get to you/i love you because
    blue moon/just because
    money honey/one sided love affair
    Shake Rattle and Roll Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Lawdy Miss Clawdy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Sept 5 1956
    Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Sept 14 1956
    Love me tender - single Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    (Love Me Tender, single b-side) Any Way You Want Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Ed Sullivan Show 9 Sept, 28 Oct, 6 Jan 57(Including Footage) - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

The Complete Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show on 29. Sept 1956
    - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    another edit - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Elvis - October 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 1 Rip It Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Love Me Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Long Tall Sally Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 First In Line Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Paralyzed Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Paralyzed (rock and roll dancing) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 7 So Glad Your Mine Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 8 Old Shep Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 9 Ready Teddy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Ready Teddy tv performance Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 10 Anyplace Is Paradise Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 11 How's The World Treating You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 12 How Do You Think I Feel Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Oct 19 1956 -
    Elvis vol 1 EP
    Elvis Vol 2 EP

Interviews 1956 - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Love Me Tender EP - Nov 1 1956 - Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 1 Love Me Tender Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 2 Let Me Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 3 Poor Boy Elvis Presley - The Album Thread
    track 4 We're Gonna Move Elvis Presley - The Album Thread

Jan 4 1957
    Too Much Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Too Much Ed Sullivan show Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Playing For Keeps Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Jan 25 1957
    Strictly Elvis EP Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

March 22 1957
    All Shook Up Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side That's When Your Heartaches Begin Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

April 11 1957
    Peace in The Valley EP
    track 1 Peace In The Valley Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    Peace in the Valley (Ed Sullivan Show) Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 It's No Secret What God Can Do Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 I Believe Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Take My Hand Precious Lord Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 11 1957
    Teddy Bear Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    b-side Loving You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 20 1957
    Loving You LP
    track 1 Mean Woman Blues Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 2 Teddy Bear Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 3 Loving You Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 4 Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 5 Lonesome Cowboy Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    track 6 Hot Dog Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

June 20 1957
    Loving You EP vol 1 & 2