Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

It took me years to fathom out that he sung 'everybody come and taste the possum poppa shot'.
    Shakin chickens, shooting possums. Quite a party!

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

So, again while "Party" is only 1:30, I'm going to roll another one ...
    Blueberry Hill
    Written By Al Lewis, Larry Stock & Vincent Rose and recorded January 19 1957 at Radio Recorders.
    Blueberry Hill has an interesting history and I didn't realise that it was written in 1940.....

"Blueberry Hill" is a popular song published in 1940 best remembered for its 1950s rock n' roll version by Fats Domino. The music was written by Vincent Rose, the lyrics by Larry Stock and Al Lewis.[1] It was recorded six times in 1940. Victor Records released the recording by the Sammy Kaye Orchestra with vocals by Tommy Ryan on May 31, 1940.[2] Gene Krupa's version was issued on OKeh Records[3] on June 3 and singer Mary Small recorded a vocal version on the same label with Nat Brandwynne's orchestra, released June 20, 1940.[4] Other 1940 recordings were by: The Glenn Miller Orchestra on Bluebird Records (10768), Kay Kyser, Russ Morgan, Gene Autry (also in the 1941 film The Singing Hill, Connee Boswell, and Jimmy Dorsey. The largest 1940 hit was by The Glenn Miller Orchestra, where it reached number one.

Louis Armstrong's 1949 recording charted in the Billboard Top 40, reaching number 29. It was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino and has become a rock and roll standard. It reached number two for three weeks on the Billboard Top 40 charts, becoming his biggest pop hit, and spent eight non-consecutive weeks at number one on the R&B Best Sellers chart.[5] The version by Fats Domino was also ranked number 82 in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.[6][7]

Fats Domino seems to have become a sadly underrated figure from the early rock and roll days, deserving of a little more respect than he seems to now get. His famous Louisiana spin on rock and roll cannot be overlooked by a serious fan of fifties rock and roll. His song "the Fat Man" is generally considered the first million seller of rock and roll. I know this isn't the Fats Domino thread, but if you have the time or interest, check Fats Domino out, great artist.

This is generally considered one of the great rock and roll songs and references to it pop up everywhere. When I was a young fella, one of my favourite tv shows was happy days, and the song very often made an appearance in some form or another.

Elvis' version is a laid back affair, with a really nice relaxed feel. I personally really like it. It isn't the most exciting thing Elvis ever recorded but it is certainly not a song that I would skip.

RobCos02330 and RSteven like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Yea, it isn't a party I've been at lol

When In Rome likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If only the police would turn on the lights until the people sat back down in their seats these days. I am tired of paying for a seat at a concert only to have inconsiderate jerks stand up in front of me.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

7. mark winstanley

From June 1 1957, just prior to the release of the Loving You Soundtrack

[​IMG]

8. mark winstanley

Already the toast of the then modern music world, Elvis was at least getting a ton of covers in movie world, even if they weren't taking him too seriously

[​IMG]

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

He only wore the lame' jacket by the time he got to Vancouver. My Dad wanted to go (he'd first seen Elvis on that Dorsey Brothers show way back) but couldn't because of delivery truck driving work, but a couple of his friends did and bought some photos from the local newspaper photographer and gave my Dad one of them.
    [​IMG]

10. mark winstanley

very cool

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

True Love
    Written by the Legendary Cole Porter in 1956, and recorded by Elvis on Feb. 23 1957 at Radio Recorders.
    This song was initially recorded by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly for the movie High Society, it was nominated for the Academy Award as best song.
    This is a mellow and pretty song with a stripped back backing. A gentle acoustic guitar, lead vocal and the backing vocals. As expected with a Cole Porter number we have an excellent melody and a nice chord pattern.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Bluberry Hill - A very straight-forward interpretation and quite half-assd vocal to this one (it sounds almost like a guide vocal). Despit that, I like it for it's stripped down arrangment and it wasn't ruined by cheesy backing vocals.

15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

17. mark winstanley

July 1957 Elvis, his parents and his date Anita Wood at a private midnight showing of Loving you

[​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

Anita and Elvis were together for five years

[​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

Just for interest sake .... These guys were playing a very early gig as the Quarrymen at a Church fete about when the picture above was taken

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL and NumberEight like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That dude sure pulled a lot of tail!!

22. mark winstanley

nahhhhh .... it's an illusion lol

RSteven, MaestroDavros and artfromtex like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Don't Leave Me Now
    Written by Aaron Schroeder and Ben Weisman and recorded Feb 23 1957. (take 29 on the Loving You Album, and take 12 - the movie version - from Jailhouse Rock EP)
    The Loving You version starts with the vocal, where the Jailhouse Rick version starts with a bluesy/rock and roll piano. This is a moderate to slow paced blues ballad to my ears. We have an excellent vocal and an understated band backing. We have the Jordanaires coming in with the backing vocals, which at this point in Elvis career was a given.

RSteven and Shawn like this.
  24. mark winstanley

It will come up again on the EP, but for now for comparison here is the Jailhouse Rock movie version. You will notice the lack of Jordanaires on this version.

RobCos02330 and artfromtex like this.
  25. mark winstanley

As nobody is commenting much on the songs, I am going back to just doing two a day. This is going to be a long thread and these are short songs, so we can always revise this.

RSteven likes this.