Elvis Presley's first recording to be sold (Update Sells for $300K)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimonSaysCake, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I did a search but...

I'm not the biggest Elvis fan but I do like memorabilia and rare records and well, this is simply amazing. Very curious to see what it brings.:

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30042815

-s1m0n-

2. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Hard to believe that this record isn't in a museum someplace...

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

more than many of us can afford!

melstapler likes this.
  4. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

[​IMG]

seanh1978, jgrillo, longaway and 7 others like this.
  5. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

OK, someone has to say it: I'm pretty sure a few other Elvis recordings have already been sold before this one.

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

:laughup::biglaugh:

7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Apparently it turned up in here.

[​IMG]

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Presley was said to have made the recording partly as a present for his mother. But the family did not have a record player, so he took it to a friend's house to listen to the results of the session and left it there.

So who owns it now? (The track has been officially released by BMG/RCA.)

9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I must begin saving up for this.

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Imagine the winning bidder demands his money back because it is dish warped and off center pressed? :)

andrewskyDE, 1970, Kim Olesen and 5 others like this.
  11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

This is definitely something Graceland/EPE should purchase and display.

melstapler and mr._mojo_filter like this.
  12. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Yeah. Who did the mastering ?

13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sam Phillips

melstapler likes this.
  14. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

The acetate owned by Ed Leek was Elvis’s first recording.

In April 1989, Leek signed a 50/50 partnership agreement with Sun Entertainment Corporation to release the recording to the public, but he retains sole ownership to the disc. Engineer Allen Stoker mastered the disc to tape at the Country Music Foundation on September 14 and 15, 1989. The sound was cleaned up, but nothing else was added.

The song was first released on The Great Performances in 1990.

Marion Keisker was there ... Sam Philips was out of town that day ... not MASTERED till the above.

andrewskyDE and melstapler like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's a good question. Ed Leek was the classmate of Elvis' who gave him the $4 to make the record. Elvis took the record to Leek's house to play and left it there, and by 1956 Elvis had apparently forgotten where it was (during the Million Dollar Quartet session he makes reference to having lost the record). In 1988 Leek revealed he had the record, and it was transferred to digital and released on CD. Leek retained ownership of the actual record.

Anyway, Ed Leek passed away in 2010. His widow Susan passed away last May, and they apparently had no children. So I don't know who inherited the record, but obviously they are selling it now.

Here's some reminiscences from Leek from back in 2004:
    I gave Elvis $4.00 to make his first Dub at Sam Phillip’s Sun Records. It took him two months to get up the courage to do it. My idea was to make the record and knock on radio station doors to get it played and hopefully find him a singing job. Elvis was very unsure of himself in the early days of his career. I had a good time traveling, double dating, etc. with him until he went into the Army. He would call me to “round up” the bunch (about 16 total) to come to where ever he was to perform. He was afraid there wouldn’t be anyone there if we didn’t come.

He is still the only singer I listen to. I own the original Dub along with the music rights to it. I have allowed RCA and Disney to publish the music mainly so the fans can hear the two songs, which I felt, were very good. The record has all the elements that later developed into his personal style. I also still have the first commercial disk out of the labeling machine at Plastic Products on Chelsea Ave. (That‘s All Right and Blue Moon), which Elvis signed for me after I pulled it out of the collection box. I sold my Humes year book; my class photo and the little pink business card Elvis gave me ( to get back stage after he began famous) some years back for unbelievable prices. I figured they would be well cared for by Elvis collectors. I am considering letting the commercial record and perhaps the Dub find new homes soon. I am 70 years old and have no family except my wife to give them to. I have enjoyed them for over 50 years, along with my memories of Elvis.

andrewskyDE, Dan C, GullGutt and 4 others like this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fascinating

17. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Does anybody know if this is AAA?

18. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Greg Moskovitch on 19 November 2014
    From this website: https://www.tonedeaf.com.au/426150/4-record-valuable-vinyl-world.htm
    Moderator Note: Long excerpt from tonedeaf site truncated. Follow link for complete story.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  19. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How did the acetate wind up in Ed Leek's collection?

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There was another thread recently on this same item.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ed Leek gave Elvis the $4 to record the dub. Elvis did not own a record player, so he took the record to Leek's house to listen to it, and left it there. By late 1956 Elvis had apparently forgotten what he'd done with the record, since during the Million Dollar Quartet recordings you can hear him mention that he'd lost it. In 1988 Leek finally revealed he had the record, and it was digitized and released on CD. Leek retained ownership of the physical record and the rights to the performance on it, which he licensed to RCA/BMG. Leek died in 2010 and his widow passed away earlier this year. They had no children so it's unclear who owns the record now and is auctioning it off.

23. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Hasn't that been debunked? It's been a while since I've read the story, but I seem to recall it was Marian Keisker who was impressed and Phillips showed no interest until Presley had come by the studio a few more times.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Isn't the Quarrymen's That'll Be The Day the most valuable?

25. JimmyCool

JimmyCool Elvis Presley Expert

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.