Elvis Presley's first recording to be sold (Update Sells for $300K)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimonSaysCake, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

True, but I didn't really become a big Elvis fan until 1999 so I didn't know about the recording or have access to it until I bought Sunrise. :)

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yes, I couldn't find the CD at that time, so I wound up getting the Great Perfomances factory cassette! Grrr...but I had to hear that track. (Still have the cassette, plus Sunrise, etc.)

3. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

I thought for some reason, it looks as if they played a remastered version & made it look like the acetate was being played. Or are my eyes being played tricks on. The tone arm doesn't seem to move. Look at the position of the plastic lifter on the end of the tonearm. It never moves away from that pronounced edge.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I had to watch it a few times, but the tonearm is moving. What puzzled me is that the record doesn't look like it is spinning fast enough. That's a 78rpm acetate, right? It looks like it's moving at 45rpm there.

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Do we know if the Estate were the winning bidders in the auction or did this go into the hands of a private collector?

6. GroovinGarrett

Since the acetate was missing from the VIP exhibit when I was at Graceland two weeks ago, I asked about it. It appears to have been sold to a collector.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You're right, it is in that video! Maybe even 43 or 44 by my count. Is it possible it was cut at 45 rpm? Or 43 or 44?

8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thanks the info Garrett, that is a shame I was hoping the Estate would snag this and keep it with the family where it belongs.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wow - very impressive! It's all there in his first recording. Remarkable to say the least.

heatherly likes this.
  10. capt.co

capt.co Forum Resident

[QUOTE="There are also other – more lavish – Presley items up for grabs in 20115"[/QUOTE]

Don't want to think about what those are gonna cost with inflation and all.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It doesn't look like the tonearm is moving to me in that clip. And the audio obviously isn't coming from the record being played, since the song starts at the beginning when the arm is in the middle of the record. And I agree that it doesn't appear to be spinning at 45 rpm. I think they just stuck the record on a turntable that probably doesn't even have 78, to create the "illusion" they were playing it.

Dan C likes this.
  12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I believe the collector that purchased it is located in Japan.

13. GroovinGarrett

Clearly not the source of the audio, but the tonearm is on the record and moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agggghhh! That record should not be touched, much less put on a turntable! It needs to be put in some kind of a protective sleeve or display piece!

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  15. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Thank god BMG got the rights to put it out on CD from Ed Leek at the time.

When this was found it give heart that other things are out there to be found.The years have rolled on and the $$ is very strong with those who have unissued stuff in there collections.

But that is what dreams are all about.

SUN Studio (Memphis Recording Service) - Memphis, Tennessee
    Engineer :
    Marion Keisker

Musician:
    Guitar: Elvis Presley

My Happiness 2:33

hodgo likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, I'm very glad that both of the Sun demos have been transferred to digital and released. I love them as much as I do the proper Sun masters.

17. Figures, that country is a positive Hoover when it comes to ultrarare vinyl.

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I wonder how buying the acetate gives him the right to issue it? I think it's cool he got it. I'm not a fan of his, but he's obviously a fan of vinyl and Classic music, and it'll be a good home

19. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I guess the legalities are easier to get around since it was a private press and contains two cover songs?

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

As mentioned in the other thread about this. The legalities are interesting considering it was a private press and the songs were covers.

22. SoundAdvice

He might be able to do a legal UK release for RSD without clearing anything and fans int he US are at the mercy of ebay.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Wasn't this on The King Of Rock n Roll box set?

24. SoundAdvice

First vinyl release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.