Elvis rare singles on LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by booker, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if there are any LPs of Elvis that would contain his singles available only on 45s or are scattered all over on compilation albums? I mean I just cannot find one or two vinyl records that would have rare A and B sides like for example The Beatles Past Masters. Quick browse through Discogs tells me I would actually have to get many LPs where you have one or two single tracks + well known tracks to have complete list on vinyl. I could get alL SPs but there is also an issue with mono and stereo versions in particular for the later period (mono singles). At this point I can see there is a need for some new project to do some order in that area unless I am missing something and there are vinyl releases like this out there. Please let me know.

2. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Several albums with non-album cuts were released during Elvis lifetime. The serie "Golden records vol 1-4" (1958-1968) íncluded only non album Cuts. More obscure tracks were released on budget albums like "Elvis sings Flaming star", Let´s be friend´s", "Almost in love", "I got lucky" and "C´mon everybody" (1968-1971). On the so called "silver box" from 1980, there were one LP that included a couple of rare singles, not available on LP at the time like "I´m leavin´", ""Rags to riches" and "Where did they go. Lord".

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Even assuming you have all of his lifetime LPs- no, there is not just a few LPs or CDs that collect all singles that never appeared on any of his lifetime albums. The silver box Elvis Aron Presley that came after he died collected "the lost singles" however they omitted a few, Come What May being one of them. But even then you'd have to get the two 4 disc LPs boxes Worldwide Gold Award Hits vol 1 and especially vol 2 to gather up a few stray songs. Whether you go the LP route or the CD route you'd have to buy a lot of titles to collect all the singles. If you go the CD route the cheapest way to do this would be to buy the 60CD box, The Album Collection. This box finds a home for all his lifetime singles. Or you could also buy the Japanese 10 Cd box set The Complete Singles Collection which includes ALL singles, including the ones released after his death. It was not until the 60CD box set that the stereo master of the master take of Come What May was available on any album, other than on the FTD label a few years before. The mono version was on Rare Elvis CD and LP. The stereo version they put on the 60s box was an alternate take. I have been collecting Elvis since 1968 and to get all his songs that were only available as a 45 single or 45 extended play on LP (and later CD) was a lifetime endeavor.

I had all of his 1st issues of ALL his USA lifetime LPs. And even after getting the silver box that had "The Lost Singles" here are songs not issued on US LPs during his lifetime:
    Come What May, Don't Leave Me Now (Jailhouse Rock version).
    Many others were scattered on Camden Titles, the mentioned Worldwide Gold Award Hits box sets, and of course the Golden Records series. Most of his soundtrack LPs had at least one single on them. Most of his studio LPs did NOT include the single, (until the 70s). So, in short, to get all the singles on LP, you'd have to buy a LOT of LPs. I had to buy the South African Jailhouse Rock LP to get Don't Leave Me Now and I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine (which later appeared on The Sun Session US, or The Sun Collection UK) on LP. Except for a few 1960-61 singles that were also available in Living Stereo, Elvis' singles were all in mono up until late 1971. The WWGAH vol 1 and 2 have all songs in mono which was a blessing for the 50s titles, but a bummer for the 60s and 70s titles . Of course Elvis records were only in mono in the 50s. You'd want to avoid the fake stereo pressings of his 50s material.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    When In Rome likes this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

If there was ever an LP collection of all of Elvis US lifetime singles, it would take a lot of discs, as that would be 198 songs! And that does not include non-LP extended play selections.

5. booker

Thank you all for responding. Yes there are about 100 SPs Elvis released so there would be a place for a nice 10 LP box containing all singles with their original mixes as they were released at the time. I think this would be great. Many of these appeared on Golden Records and some albums so in addition to the Complete Singles Box I would think of an extract from it containing only songs that didnt appear on GRs or official albums. This would reduce the number of tracks to create let’s say DBL. I think this would appeal to all Elvis fans and beyond.

6. booker

Elvis EPs is another topic to me but also worth thinking of as, unless someone can get originals in mint shape, for most people and vinyl lovers nice and new Complete EPs Collection would be fantastic. I do not like these LP compilations where the songs list are quite bizarre, accidental and very often you get 10 songs on them only. I would really appreciate having some order in this area.

7. SKATTERBRANE

Order in the Elvis record world? Now that is just crazy talk!

BeSteVenn likes this.
  8. booker

I know it’s like a fire and water but with SPs and EPs in one place I think it is possible.

9. booker

I wonder who makes decision on stuff like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.