Elvis: That's The Way It Is Blu-ray Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I get where you're coming from. I'm a little younger, so I had 8 channels and they were in color. VCR's also entered the picture before I was 10. So, I no doubt had it a bit better, but I get you're point about appreciating how far things have come. We live in an awesome world.

I also understand why a company like Twilight Time has to charge more. I just don't understand the decision by those in charge not to do mainstream releases of those titles and instead farm them out to a little "ma and pa" operation. For example, "Viva Las Vegas" was a widespread release and was remastered to look absolutely beautiful and right from the start costs about $15 or less. Maybe they think that Elvis movies in this day and age aren't in demand and they took this route, but I think they're mistaken if indeed that is their assessment.

I will still be getting these Blu Rays. I tend to look at things and think "how could this have been done better". And when you think about it, it's that type of thinking that has brought us from black and white TV, to streaming HD, 4K video, and lossless audio.

:righton:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Another thing about Twilight Time releases I forgot : Isolated score tracks. In this case, Follow That Dream, DTS HD Master Audio 1.0, which sounds great !

artfromtex likes this.
  3. artfromtex

So, you've already got it? I looked today for a review on blu-ray.com and there wasn't one. How does it look?

4. Myke

Stunning. 2:35 aspect ratio, nice, wide shots, colors are bright, and vivid. No, they haven't reviewed it yet, but I predict a 4.5 out of 5 overall.

JLGB and artfromtex like this.
  5. Myke

Isolated score and effects now... interesting...

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I just compared one of the outtakes which is/was also available some time ago "Lost Performances" Laserdisc. The "Baby Let's Play House" Laserdisc version is head and shoulders better than the Blu-ray! It has color,detail and is in focus contrary to the outtake from the Blu-ray. They should have remastered it from the Laserdisc if the source tape(s) was misplaced or lost.

GroovinGarrett and artfromtex like this.
  7. Myke

Tonight I learned of, and tried the " cart trick," that is where you put the number 3,000 as the quantity in your shopping cart, then the website's software lowers the number to the number of remaining copies they have.
    I got the number 50. So unless there's a mistake, 2,950 copies have sold in one week !

Best get on it Art. $34.30 inc. First Class shipping : http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/27567/FOLLOW-THAT-DREAM-1962/

artfromtex and Mr. H like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Where did you learn about this? I just tried the same thing with a number of items and they were all lowered to 50.

9. Myke

10. artfromtex

BS or not: ORDERED!!

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna cruise on over to Amazon and get "Love Me Tender" and "TTWII" too. Still debating on whether or not to get the new book version of "Viva Las Vegas". Has anyone seen that one yet? Is it pretty nice? I assume the disc is the same. Just wondering if the packaging is nice enough to warrant the expense. It would be my 3rd Elvis BD in that format. I could see that looking pretty nice on the shelf.

11. Myke

Woke up to a post over there telling me they dismantled that little trick. Oh well.

Yes, Art, the disc is the same in Viva Ann Margret, just new digibook packaging.

12. artfromtex

Viva Ann Margret, indeed. Lordy, Lord!!

Breathing a sigh of relief that I got my "Follow That Dream" ordered. Looking forward to "Flaming Star".

I sure hope the powers that be have some more Elvis titles planned for Blu Ray. Would love to see "Loving You", "King Creole", "G.I. Blues", or "Blue Hawaii". I think "Loving You" would look fantastic. Wasn't that one done in Technicolor? 50's Elvis in color. That has to be done!!

heatherly likes this.
  13. Myke

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Mr. H, artfromtex and heatherly like this.
  14. artfromtex

I noticed that there were a lot of Elvis movies labeled as HD when I was browsing on Amazon's "Instant Video" on my Roku a little while back. Good to know that they're just not labeled as HD, but appear to be actual HD transfers.

About 2 years ago I stumbled across "Charro" on HDNet or somewhere and it looked REALLY good.

15. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I've loved the idea of Charro vs the actual film...Still I'd put down some $$ to see it on Blu Ray. Maybe get Tarantino to do commentary.

artfromtex likes this.
  16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Watched the BluRay yesterday. The original theatrical version isn't on the German Edition anymore. Same Extras as before. There is no or little impovement concerning video. The sound is still good but no big difference. At least I made a friend happy by giving him my 2007 DVD. The show is still great of course.

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I got it a couple of days ago and even though the outtakes are a mess (they even suffer from pal speedup) I'm very pleased with the movie itself.

18. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

There's definitely more detail on the Blu-ray version. I saw (as example) the color blue on the black car Elvis is driving to the entrance of the MGM lot, at the beginning of the film. Must have been some sort of reflection from the sky. I couldn't see that on the DVD.

19. artfromtex

I got the BluRay over the weekend at Sam's for $20. Sound is definitely improved and the picture is improved as well. Certain closeups of Elvis are pretty stunning. Glad I got it. It looks nice sitting on the shelf next to EOT.

Haven't watched the DVD of the theatrical version yet. I'll probably do that this afternoon.

I couldn't believe how crappy the bonus songs looked on the BluRay. There are easily better quality videos of these same performances on YouTube. Not to mention they scaled the size down to about the size of a postage stamp. Terrible effort there. Very disappointing.

20. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Yes. Some of those bonus songs from the Blu-ray were released on VHS/Laserdisc "Lost Performances" a while back. They looked great. Cannot imagine how they released far inferior than youtube versions and even lower pitch! Two photos taken by me of screen from Laserdisc. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    artfromtex likes this.
  21. artfromtex

Ok. Glad you mentioned the pitch aspect. Doesn't it seem like "I Just Can't Help Believing" is sped up? It got "Girl Happy"-ed! Unwatchable mess.

What am I in store for on the theatrical release when I get home today? Please tell me it's at least DVD quality. Or heck, at this point, I'd settle for VHS! Just not 1999 looking internet video where the pixels look like cinder blocks.

22. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

The DVD original theatrical release is just fine with exception of sound. Mono IIRC. ..

MarkusGermany and artfromtex like this.
  23. heatherly

Are these the outtakes on the Blu Ray?

24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

That's actually the bonus songs TCM aired in 2001 before the SE was released the day after. I believe most of the songs there are in fact the outtakes on the BR.

25. heatherly

I know they were taped off TCM butI was asking whether they are on the BR in similar quality, sorry for the confusion. If they are then I'll stick to my 2001 & 2007 DVD copies of TTWII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.