Embarking on a Grateful Dead journey (all purpose thread, second set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Allow me to post the second set opener:

skybluestoday, jdrueke, djork and 5 others like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sandinista wrote:
    That is how I understood it, yes.

Sandinista likes this.
  4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Second Set.... nice!

My first thread to ever get to a part two - I really appreciate all the great posts in the "first set" - definitely helped me in the learning/appreciation curve. Can't wait to see what I discover in the "second set."

Listening to the Fall '89 Weir/Garcia box as I type. Good stuff.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This second thread/set will have to be longer, with each post far more long-winded than the posts in the first thread/set. Around the middle of the thread there will be a lot of weird, primal yelps and screams, then a lot of nonsensical characters, but soon it will revert to standard opinions, culminating in a perfunctory rehashing of something someone said decades ago...

6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Just as long as the encore isn't Day Job.

ianuaditis, richy2times, Bart and 2 others like this.
  7. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Yay, second set! :D

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Day Job was better than I Fought The Law.

ianuaditis, Bart and JRM like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Although I remember one person who saw the Dead in 1994 and said that IFTL was the only song where Jerry seemed to be having fun.

10. LandHorses

I'm sure by that point, Jerry loved having an encore song that was less than 2 minutes.

Atmospheric likes this.
  11. Sandinista

Was Jerry getting burnt out on the Dead in the early to mid 90s? Am I misreading some posts (here and in the "first set") in sensing it was a bit more than addiction that was affecting his performances?

Atmospheric likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was glad that at the show I saw we got an almost as brief, but better song for an encore, "The Mighty Quinn."

13. simon-wagstaff

Day Job has been the encore for some very good shows. One of my favorites is 6-30-84 Indianapolis Sports Center. Top 5 show for me.

wilejoe likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There were problems along those lines when he had addiction issues around 1983 to 5 and again in the 90's.

15. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

In case anyone doesn't know, Bobby reformed Ratdog and the tour started last night. Here's a live stream for tonight's show in Philly: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/website-test1

This version features the core line-up of Bobby, Jay Lane on drums and Jeff Chimenti on keys with Steve Kimock on lead and the rare double bass combo of Rob Wasserman and Robin Sylvester.

Jonathan Wilson joined up for most of the first set tonight. Good stuff.

Erik B. likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well played, Mr. 5/8/77.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think that was part of it, his comment I mentioned a few weeks ago re: JGB vs. GD (it's like you have your wife, and then your mistress... Sorry, ladies!") was probably symptomatic

Sandinista likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hey, we all have to stop posting here and get back to our real work someday...

Speaking of which, if I did not have a more than full time job, and two young rug rats, I would seriously like to start up the GD official live release (vault, DiP, RT, and DaP) album by album thread. But if any if you actually have the time, it would be a lot of fun... Otherwise, maybe I'll get to it in 5 years or so.

Sandinista likes this.
  19. Sandinista

5 years from now sounds like a good timeline for me - it'll probably that long for me to get all those releases! (Damn kids. Always growing. Always eating.)

20. simon-wagstaff

I have about 2 tb of lossless live shows. My collection has gone from cassette to vhs hi fi to dat to cd and now to hard drives. At one time I probably had about 2,000 cds. I would much rather listen than talk about it, but I do enjoy reading this thread. I don't make much distinction between official releases and other recordings.

21. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Yet, they are both filled with solid advice. Advice you could ignore as you beat the crowds out the door.

zongo likes this.
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There are days
    There are days
    And there are days between
    :frog:

23. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

this has been done before and very well by one of our Australian posters though it needs updating-search is your friend.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Sandinista likes this.
  25. LandHorses

Since some of you have never heard "Day Job," here it is..........

Considered by many to be the worst ever Grateful Dead song.....it's the one song they eventually stopped playing by fan request. I actually kind of liked the song, and missed it when they stopped playing it.

I was at this show......Philly 85 was a lot of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.