Embarking on a Grateful Dead journey (all purpose thread, second set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

So just listen to the AUD :) :) :)

7/17/76 is also worthwhile, although not so much for the song itself as for the jam which follows

*Zod* likes this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I remember hearing a borrowed vinyl copy of Aoxomoxoa in 1970 and vividly recalled a vocal harmony at the end of "Doin' That Rag" and some bubbling underwater-type electronic distortion on "What's Become of the Baby." The CD I recently bought has "Rag" fading out at the end and a somewhat toned down version of "Baby." Curious, I read online that some of the band members had decided to remix the album in 1971. I'm sure there are other differences I don't recall as well. Anyway, I'm on a search for the original vinyl mix. Bad Dead for messing with it.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The original mix was recently reissued on vinyl.

Folknik likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some other differences in the original mix are a different Jerry vocal on "Dupree's," a female backing chorus on "Mountains Of The Moon" and a much more bizarre "China Cat," as well as some foul mouthed studio banter before "Cosmic Charlie."

Folknik likes this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The original mix is on YouTube:

I find the female backing harmonies on "Mountain of the Moon" to be intriguing, but it doesn't quite come off. They should have brought in Grace Slick to do some wordless vocalizing instead.

rockinlazys and Folknik like this.
  6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll be listening to this and comparing and contrasting.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Mountains of the Moon" is the only track that I like better on the remix/current album. The backing singers clutter it up.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The alternate "Dupree's" vocal on the remix has Garcia sounding more confident, while on the original mix the vocal sounds shy and is hard to hear. In fact, I'm curious if Garcia did the alternate vocal during the remix sessions in 1971.

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I listened to the original mix on Youtube and I prefer it over the remix all around. I think the ghostly choir on "Mountains of the Moon" adds a lot of atmosphere to the song as does the a cappella tag on "Doin' That Rag." As for "What's Become of the Baby", in its original state, it may well have been the world's first piece of folktronica. The variety of textures enhance the track and make it consistently interesting enough to justify its 8:30 length. The remix sounds like an unintelligible Gregorian chant that seems to almost never end. What were those whacked-out acid-eaters thinking? The remix is a keeper until I can scare up a copy of the original.

GerryO likes this.
  10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

well look what just showed up in my mailbox

[​IMG]

DrLunchbox and xTraPlaylists like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That one's a gem!

12. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

You're on quite a binge, my friend. :yikes:

Erik B. likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Yeah and the wifey is oh so ecstatic about that

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

How do you know you have a habit ? When you have to start shipping Amazon and ebay purchases to the office. LOL

xTraPlaylists, Crispy Rob and mgb70 like this.
  15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I call this a work in progress image.jpg

16. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

With the 42nd anniversary of the Dead's Europe '72 tour upon us now, I've started listening through the big Complete Recordings box set. Last night was the 4/8/72 show from Wembley Empire Pool. A solid first set and I love the Dark Star -> Sugar Magnolia -> Caution sequence from set 2!

17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

many times I have thought about pulling the trigger on Europe 72. That hefty price tag, though

18. xTraPlaylists

Hello again fellow GD lovers!

I'm heading out on a trip to my local used CD store and wanted to give you all a heads (;)) up.

Currently listed there are:
    Dick's Picks v10 $30
    Dick's Picks v11 $16
    Dick's Picks v18 $30
    Dick's Picks v25 $40

I'm going to pickup Grayfolded for myself, but would be willing to pickup things for other heads who don't have access to DP's at the kinda prices I can get them for. I've already fed Erik B's addiction recently, anyone else need a fix?

I ship them to you at cost which is the price listed above plus tax (10% in Chicago), plus shipping (usually about $5). You can also order straight from Reckless Records in Chicago (reckless.com), but they'll ding you $6 per item, I believe (and please don't snake the copy of Grayfolded I'm going to go get in an hour). I shipped them to Erik B first and then he sent me a check. If you're a New Member here who just registered... don't ask for that kind of trust.

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Disc 3 of this is among my favorite portions of GD music!!

notesofachord and Erik B. like this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I can vouch for Xtra being a stand up guy. . . Hmmm, Volume 18 looks intriguing

21. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Love reckless. Used to live half a block from the broadway store. It's usually $6 shipping for the entire order, not per item. Really a killer deal and they are REALLY picky about the quality of the use CDs they sell. I moved to Denver 4 years ago and still order from Reckless at least once a year.

22. xTraPlaylists

$6 shipping per deal is basically what it costs me to ship things, so if you fellas are in the market for Dead, Reckless is worth it.

Erik B. likes this.
  23. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

Finishing my taxes and listening to Dicks Picks Vol 20 September 1976. The Dead were finally hitting their stride on their return from "retirement". I remember that year with a lot of fondness.

24. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

25. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

ruben lopez and dajokr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.