Emerson Lake & Palmer to be reissued on BMG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

From Prog magazine:

BMG have announced plans to release the first three Emerson, Lake & Palmer albums along with a career-spanning 39-track anthology this summer.

The band’s 1970 self-titled debut, 1971’s Tarkus and Pictures At An Exhibition from the same year, along with Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The Anthology, will launch on July 29.

The band’s debut will be issued on 2CD, which will include a remastered version of the original album along with an alternative take with bonus tracks. Steven Wilson was brought in for the stereo mix in 2012.

Tarkus will also be issued on 2CD and features the original remastered record plus a Steven Wilson stereo mix with additional songs. Pictures At An Exhibition features a new remix of the album and a live performance recorded at the Lyceum Ballroom, London, on December 9, 1970.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The Anthology will be presented in a casebound book with sleeve notes penned by Chris Welch and illustrated with rare photographs of the band.

BMG say they’ll re-release 1972’s Trilogy, 1973’s Brain Salad Surgery and 1974 triple live album Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends later in 2016.

ELP’s Carl Palmer recently revealed his upcoming North American tour would be dedicated to late keyboard maestro Keith Emerson who committed suicide in March this year.

this could catapult ELP over the doors for having re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released (you read that correctly this is the 6th time) their catalog in the U.S. (i've truly lost track of the doors, has it been 6 times yet?)

there are actually quite a few more releases world wide but i thought i would keep it to U.S releases only.

these are the 5 previous labels that 'brain salad surgery has been released on in the U.S: atlantic - polygram - rhino - shout factory and razor & tie (and i'm not sure if MFSL did it or not, but if they did that will make the new one 7!)

Musicisthebest, jon9091 and Mbe like this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Unless they offer AAA vinyl mastered well and pressed well, I'm not interested. Something like what IR is doing with their releases.

polchik, Gumboo, SKean and 2 others like this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I'm very curious about the Pictures remix. The other 2 remixes have been out since 2012 but I haven't heard anything about a Pictures remix. I wonder who will be doing this remix?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Fantastic news; look forward to learning more about these proposed releases.

5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Oh well. Another flawed ELP re-issue campaign. I really can't understand why they didn't include the 5.1 mixes for either s/t or Tarkus. In case of Pictures, there's nothing that have not been released before, and - once again - no unreleased tracks from the Newcastle show.

I'll wait for the remixed Welcome Back My Friends.

SKean and CBC like this.
  6. Doctor Flang

Elsewhere it reads that it's a 2016 REMASTER, not remix.

sound chaser likes this.
  7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Again?

I've never had a problem with my original Atlantics.

2trackmind, rxcory, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  8. Doctor Flang

No mention about a remix:

"Pictures At An Exhibition, however, will be reissued with a new 2016 remaster of the original album, plus add in the bonus track of the five-part “Pictures At An Exhibition” as performed at the Mar Y Sol Festival in Puerto Rico on December 4, 1972. The second CD will offer a fifteen-track Live set, Live At the Lyceum Theatre, London, December 9, 1970."

Emerson, Lake & Palmer Gets Reissues and 3CD Anthology In July »

ARK, Say It Right and Malina like this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Snore..........

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Look at the first post and it says :Pictures At An Exhibition features a new remix of the album and a live performance recorded at the Lyceum Ballroom, London, on December 9, 1970.

ARK likes this.
  11. Doctor Flang

Look at the post #8.

12. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I just saw that. So I guess the info on the first thread is incorrect. I did email my ELP contact and hope to hear back from him if he is involved with these reissues. If I get any interesting news I'll post it.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jeez...what a mess. Who's gonna release it next? K-Tel?

AndydD, Christopher B, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Is the original Atlantic Tarkus cd from 1989 the best sounding digital version?

bhazen likes this.
  15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

My current CD's are just fine with me. Unfortunately, all my original ELP records were 8 track tapes so I was use to hearing those vs vinyl.

BPMC likes this.
  16. Doctor Flang

Please do. Even if Pictures would turn out to be remixed, i wonder if the Lyceum or Mar Y Sol material is freshly remixed, or are they just the same mixes that were released previously.

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

IR?

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, that's all subjective....but there's an absolutely huge thread on here somewhere where a number of forum members went through every version imaginable (I think it rambled on for a few years). My favorite was the old Manticore CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Emerson-Lake-Palmer-Tarkus/release/4907581

sound chaser and Starwanderer like this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Is it time to call Guinness World Records yet? :)

Who's ahead in the Most Reissues contest - ELP or Procol Harum?

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I would guess they are the same mixes. I doubt there will be fresh new remixes of those shows. If I hear back from my ELP contact I will post any info he gives me. He has worked on many ELP projects but I don't know if he is working on this new reissue series.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  21. Doctor Flang

This quote from Jakko hints that Welcome Back My Friends will be remixed indeed:

"There were forty of the damn things [for the two ELP albums Jakszyk remixed]. No track sheets, but photographs of tape boxes, and some of those boxes had no information on them at all—and, indeed, some were not the original boxes. And in spite of all this, there was still stuff missing, including the final multi-track of Welcome Back My Friends [to the Show That Never Ends, ELP's 1974 live album], which I eventually found hiding in a spread sheet pertaining to a whole other set of ELP recordings. Now that was a nightmare."

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/king-c...tudio-recordings-1994-1997-by-john-kelman.php

bleachershane and Scottb like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Bernard hansen, Joti Cover and Terry like this.
  23. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What about Works Vol. I?

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Next year.

Say It Right likes this.
  25. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I sure hope Welcome Back gets remixed.... :)

SKean and Todd W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.