Emerson Lake & Palmer to be reissued on BMG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Live at Nassau Coliseum '78

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Thanks! So it's without the orchestra ?

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

If that was from the show I was at in January of 1978 there wasn't an orchestra . And what a show it was! 10th row just left of center.

Rufus rag likes this.
  4. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

My wife to be, was an ELP fan. Took her to see them at Nassau Coliseum. It was in 78 if my memory serves me well. . Here are a few pictures I took.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cledwyn, ytserush, Dave G. and 22 others like this.
  5. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I was at their first show of the Works tour in Louisville, KY in 1977. They had the full orchestra. I don't think they did too many shows with the orchestra on that tour; maybe less than 10? I do remember hearing news that something about where the conductor was to be had broken during rehearsals, and there was a brief panic that he might not be able to be seen....don't know if it was about a hydraulic lift or lighting.

Anyway, I already have many of the previous remasters, and some choice vinyl rips...I wonder if the BMG remasters are worth it for me.

6. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Or if they really want to make it a set for "completists" - the original Japanese CD was from the Oct 2 show (same show as the dvd) while the USA/UK/Eur release was from the later Oct 26 show. The Oct 2 disc was in one of the Manticore Official Bootleg boxes too. Still, I'd like to get a total complete show as the video omitted a few songs too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Got Love Beach yesterday. Found a laugh that they couldn't bring themselves to charge the same money for it as the rest of the albums. I've listened to it a few times today and I think 'Memoirs Of An Officer And A Gentleman' is a F'IN MASTERPIECE! It stands beside Trilogy, Take A Pebble and Pirates in my opinion.

As for further reissues, I'd love it if they reissued Emerson Lake and Powell although I don't imagine it's on the cards.

uzn007, Oyster Boy, gja586 and 2 others like this.
  8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

From my recollection these were the same outfits they wore at the show I attended. Thanks for posting these pictures geodos! Sure brings back some wonderful memories!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

Thanks for the "Likes". This link should bring you to the rest of the photos I took that night.
    ELP
    [​IMG]

10. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

From what i've gathered, the CD and DVD was recorded on October 3rd

11. DesertChaos

Not according to Ed Macan's book. And if they were then why include one in the "official bootleg" box if it's the same as the released cd?

RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I'm not sure, that's what i've seen around. I'll have to check out that book.

DesertChaos likes this.
  13. Oyster Boy

According to Wiki the show is from the February 9th gig there and is without orchestra.

14. Oyster Boy

Yep

15. DesertChaos

Highly recommend the book - especially if you like to read more of the technical side of the music.

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  16. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I'm still disappointed that Works Live didn't come with a version of Pirates. It's one of the best songs off of Works. There was a recorded performance from the Montreal Show and while the full show has been released, the audience level is astronomically high and the instruments are muddled on that mix, where as the versions on Works Live sound very good.

ytserush, zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Always thought this album got an unfair rap largely due to its cover.

RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

A lot of the songs on "Love Beach" were pretty lackluster, but if the cover had been different, perhaps more people would have been interested enough to listen and appreciate the moments that weren't bad, Canario and Memoirs especially...

19. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Also, has anyone noticed that Knife Edge sounds a lot better on the Works Live bonus added to the new re-release of Works 2? On the original Works Live version it sounded like it was sourced from a very poor soundboard recording, now it sounds a lot better. Over all i'm liking these new Works remasters.

20. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

The new recordings from Return Of The Manticore would fit nicely on In The Hot Seat and it might also be a reason to finally buy the thing! I can see them just reissuing the next albums as single CD sets. It's far fetched but I would love to see Emerson Lake And Powell given the reissue treatment!

RangerXT likes this.
  21. Oyster Boy

Does anyone know which further albums will be issued by BMG?

RangerXT likes this.
  22. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Black Moon and In The Hot Seat, possibly more.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The original In The Hot Seat did have the new version of Pictures from the Return of The Manticore set.

Matthew Tate and RangerXT like this.
  24. Oyster Boy

Just had an ELP BMG hour or so and listened to some of Love Beach, Works Live, ELP, and Trilogy and they still sound stunning TMEs. This is how remasters should be done, exemplary.

Shvartze Shabbos, gja586 and RangerXT like this.
  25. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Hello all, after listening to the re masters on Tidal I have to say as bad as Love Beach was there are 2 diamonds in the ruff! Memoirs of an Officer and a gentleman, and Canario. I love the sound of Lakes Roland synth guitar on this track. I see posts of members who attended the Works tours. I saw the at MSG in 77 with orchestra started the show with the orchestra playing Bolero and the 3 came rising up from under the stage. Band almost stopped playing because some A hole lit an m80 in the crowd!! I also saw the next tour with out the Orchestra, just the 3 of them It was the NYC radio station WNEW's Anual Christmas concert. Man those were the days when the rock dinasors ruled the world!! Now unfortunately we loose one a month.

Oyster Boy and RangerXT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.