EMI/Capitol 10 Best Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

EMI Capitol has been releasing many bset-of CDs by artists i'm interested in, like The Honey Cone, Shalamar, Laura Lee, The Whispers, and others. Does anyone know if they use the single edits/mixes or the usual LP versions?

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Some use the LP versions and others use the single versions. But for the price they cost, why not try some of the 10 Best CDs anyway and in fact many have the flat transfer sound quality right from the master tapes. One example of this is that the Kingston Trio 10 Best CD uses the LP version of Greenback Dollar while the Beach Boys 10 Best CD uses the 45 versions and the Jan & Dean disc uses the original stereo mixes unlike the Surf City-The Best of... comp and the 2 CD set which use the Furmanek remixes. The Spencer Davis Group 10 Best CD does have a rare stereo mix of "I'm a Man." In some cases, a lot of audiophiles prefer the 10 Best versions over the Furmanek remixes of a lot of the same songs. BTW, what makes the Kingston Trio 10 Best CD notable is that it does contain all 10 of their Billboard top 40 hits and nothing more making it the perfect KT comp for people on a budget.

Ridin'High likes this.
  3. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Grant,

Is there a list of these titles anywhere on the web that you know of? Thank you.

4. BradOlson

Some of them are called "Greatest Hits" and others are called "The Best Of..." I have never seen a comprehensive list of all the 10 Best CDs that exist. HEre are the 10 Best CDs I have: Kingston Trio, Bobby Goldsboro, Juice Newton, Crystal Gayle, Classics IV, Johnny Rivers

5. BradOlson

If the Artwork somewhere states they are "10 Best Series" CDs, that's what to look for.

6. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Thank you.

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Honey Cone

Grant,

I bought the Honey Cone title in this series and was impressed. I'm not very familiar with their stuff enough to discern radio edits and such, but the tracks are all in stereo :) and they sounded rather pretty.

On a related note, I heard "Want Ads" blasting on the overhead music in Home Depot yesterday and it certainly added a spring to my step! The tape seemed to be a "Didn't It Blow Your Mind!"-kinda thing, because Tyrone Davis's "Turn Back the Hands of Time" played afterwards...

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Cool Kym! I wish my workplace would play that stuff! All we get are the same exact songs like clockwork for over a year! Jewel, Shania Twain, Celine Dion...AAAUUURRRGGGGHHH!:realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.