EMI "Maxicut" Record Mastering (vinyl cutting) Process

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paolo, Jan 13, 2007.

1. paolo

paolo Senior Member Thread Starter

I have nothing to compare it to, unfortunately :shake:

It certainly sounds fine to my ears but the Australian rarities is modelled on the Capitol version with the 'butcher' gatefold. My UK Rarities is the one that came with the 82 reissues in the blue sleeve and the replica mid-60's Parlophone label. As the tracklistings are almost completely different, it makes it hard to do any kind of qualitative or quantative assessment :D

2. ottor

ottor New Member

Hi,

I was a mastering engineer at Studios 301 in Sydney in the early eighties, and used the Maxicut system.

Basically, the maxicut system allowed the cutting engineer to start every cut with the same minimum groove width of 40 micron, and depending on the (1) loudness and (2) the phase of the program, the maxicut would control the lathe and would drive the stylus deeper to accomodate those two parameters.

This was somewhat different to the standard neumann procedure of starting the cut with a wide (i.e. deep) enough groove to deal with the vertical motion on out-of-phase. The standard unit didn't vary the groovewidth very much based on level, just the groove-spacing. Usually (with a standard VMS-70) the starting groovewidth was something like 60-80 microns, and vertical limiting or elliptical equalisation was applied to control the vertical excursion of the cutting stylus.

In short, it meant that in quiet passages the grooves were thinner (shallower), and in loud passages and or out of phase material it would be automatically made wider to compensate. This usually resulted in a cut 2dB or so louder than a standard system, and perhaps more on classical. Or you could cut a side withoud ending near the inner diameter, meaning less hf loss and tracking distortion.

I know that for a time there was at least one lathe at EMI NZ that had maxicut fitted, as it was later sold to CBS-Sony (as it was then) while they were still in the Waltham St premises in Artarmon, and I saw it there with Maxicut & a Zuma computer fitted to it. I don't know where it went after that.

BTW my cuts had Otto or OR scribed near the matrix numbers (along with whatever the client wanted scribbled onto it).

I hope that clears up some of the mystery.

Cheers,

Otto Ruiter

Easy-E, Briskit, wwright and 3 others like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thanks, we appreciate the information!

wwright likes this.
  4. ottor

ottor New Member

Here's a better description.....

A REPORT ON TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENTS / MARCH 1980 / EMI CONFIDENTIAL

PAGES 57-59

Studios 301

MAXICUT - A UNIQUE DISC CUTTING PROCESS

Maxicut is a name we at Studios 301 have applied to several modifications of our Neumann VMS-70 disc lathes. These modifications are contained on two printed circuit boards which replace the Neumann SV-66-V2 and TE-66 cards.

Maxicut is a process that allows us to cut lacquers at a significantly higher level, typically 6-8dB, without the normal tracking problems that less expensive turntable/cartridge units usually exhibit in trying to track these higher levels (groove jumping). Maxicut accomplishes this with no loss of the program signal and without significant loss in program time.

METHOD

The standard Neumman disc cutting chain; the VMS-70, its associated rack, pre-listen tape machines and electronics are designed to cut a groove of typically 25 microns depth. Of course this depth will vary on stereo program and this is aptly known as vertical information. In order to control the minimum and maximum depth of the groove, Neumann takes the prelisten program and derive a control signal which is delayed in time to correspond with the program chain. This control voltage limits the depth range of the cutterhead. However the Neumman system of depth control works only on vertical information.

Our investigations have shown that high level mono signals or lateral information need additional groove depth under certain frequency/amplitude conditions to assure optimum tracking. The Maxicut system is a dynamic control system that only increases the groove depth during that portion of the lateral information that requires additional depth for optimum tracking.

Maxicut also includes a method of improved cutterhead suspension control by use of a "negative output impdeance" amplifier. This allows more accurate control over the mecahnical movements of the cutterhead, as well as Improved low frequency response. The heavy fluid normally used to damp the the natural mechanical resonance of the cutterhead can be reduced or removed.

Other than this negative output impedance cutterhead control amplifier, Maxicut does not alter the standard vertical cutterhead control. We are currently investigating a 20 micron groove depth with Maxicut to improve
    program length without lower operating levels, or for a given playing time, to further increase levels on disc (however our current levels are probably as high as most modern replay equuipment can handle).

SYSTEM

From the stereo pre-listen chain a left + right (lateral) and a left - right (vertical) signal is derived. Maxicut takes the lateral signal and equalises it to provide a signal representing constant amplitude to frequency in respect to lateral deviations of a groove. The signal is than delayed to correspond in time to the signal from the priogram chain of the disc cutting system.

This signal is then fed to a threshold and shaping network. This network has a signal threshold level and pre-emphasis curve that directly corresponds in amplitude and frequency to the overload point of trackability of a reference turntable. This signal is then rectified and combined with the output of the Neumman vertical information depth control, and a control voltage for the for the control of the cutterhead suspensions is derived. Whichever of the lateral or vertical depth is greater determines the cutterhead depth.

RESULTS

Our results have been very encouraging. We have very seldom seen a disc cut elsewhere that, givebn the same tapes, we cannot match or better in terms of level and low frequency response while maintaining trackability on our reference "groove jumper" turntable.

------------------

Note: the "groove jumper" turntable was a HMV 3 in 1 system we tested on for tracking problems.

cheers,

Otto Ruiter

Briskit, Chac, GyroSE and 3 others like this.
  5. nin

nin Forum Resident

Thanks Otto! :righton:

6. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Thanks Otto, great info. I'll look out for any maxicut NZ pressings. Do you know if a specific code was used in the deadwax on the NZ cuts?:)

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Waking this thread back up from a sound sleep, I just purchased an Australian maxicut Rarities LP (UK version) last week and I must say the sound is amazing. Plenty of good bass all around. This may be the best version of Rarities I've heard, though my Dutch pressing is excellent as well.

Also I grabbed an Australian Abbey Road made from UK stampers Yex 749-3/YEX 750-2 also with excellent sound.

Curious if other Beatle LP's were done with the maxicut process.

One last thing and I can't find the thread but contrary to what someone posted awhile back, This Boy and She's A Woman are NOT in true stereo on the Australian version of Rarities. At least not on my copy which may have come froma Aussie blue box set.

8. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Hi John, for Maxicuts you'd be looking for Australian pressings after 1980 on the later orange Parlophone label without the large STEREO text at the top, or the Australian 1 Box style black and silver label from 1982 onwards. I don't have an Australian copy of the UK version Rarities, so can't comment on the 2 stereo tracks you mention, but your copy should have the 2 German songs in wide stereo, unlike the UK pressing.

I do have Maxicuts for the US version Rarities and Beatles Ballads (mastered by member Otto Ruiter who posted earlier), both on orange labels, and Wings Greatest on the black label. There's also a 1981 Maxicut version of the US United Artists A Hard Day's Night that I'm aware of.

Incidentally, Otto also mastered The Beatles Reel Music and re-cut The Beatles Greatest Hits Vol 2 on the black Parlophone label, with this later version being a marked sonic improvement over the original GH V2 release.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yes, for a lot of people if it doesn't say "UK" it's ignored. This works well for us antipodeans who know better. ;) It means that we can get original pressings of equal, or in some cases arguably better, sound quality for a fraction of the price (for example, an Aussie "Hey Jude" using YEEX export stampers costs about A$15. Even an original 1967 mono Sgt Pepper, housed in a UK G&L cover, will only set you back about A$50. My NM copy cost $45 a few years ago).

But beware, the converse can also be true if you are buying later orange label titles.

Correct, they are both in mono, at least on the "samplers" (if your copy has the word "Sampler" on the top left of the back cover, then it's from the box. If it doesn't, then it's retail. I dont have one of the latters to check).

Correct, it does. :righton:

The only one I don't have. Not that I'm missing much by not having it, but still, for completeness...

Absolutely! OR's re-cut of GH v2 (carrying -2/-2 matrices and his initials) blitzes anything but the most pristine original vinyl. Avoid the orange label copies of this title and keep an eye out for the later -2/-2 on black labels. They are not as common, but much cheaper (~A$10) and much better sounding.

wwright likes this.
  10. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

The problem the Maxicut system was meant to solve, only existed in the Neumann VMS66 and VMS70 cutting lathes. The Neumann VMS80 had its own phase recognition system which was similar to Maxicut.

11. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Hi Boff
    Any notable LPs cut with VMS80 that you like?:)

12. John Carsell

My Maxicut Rarities does have the two German sung songs in glorious wide stereo.

I'd sure like to find more from the Maxicut series as my LP of Rarities sure sounds super.

BTW IMO both Reel Music and Beatles Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 both needed remastering. Reel Music sounds way too bright and Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 are too muddy. Hopefully the Otto Ruiter fixed these.

13. Ben Sinise

I'd recommend the -2/-2 cut of GH V2 on the black label to be what you're looking for. I don't think there is a corresponding GH V1 re-cut, I've certainly never come across one.

14. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I've just been comparing the Aussie Maxicut of Wings "Back To The Egg" with the UK pressing - I bought both at a record fair yesterday for $2 each, and the Maxicut disc is winning on a first listen! Both have been cleaned so its a fair exchange - to quote Bill!

15. John Carsell

Anyone know of any more Maxicuts worth mentioning?

Not just Beatles or Beatles related.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The MaxiCut Little River Band LP pressings are superb. Some AC/DC later Aussie issues were likely cut that way too.

Gardo and candyflip69 like this.
  17. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Pink Floyd - Works (SHVL.107738)
    Queen - The Works (P240014)

Munger74 and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I just picked up a Maxicut version of the US Rarities LP. I'm impressed. It's nicer sounding than the US LP and it's a louder pressing too.

If I could only track down the 1980s pressing of Greatest Hits Volume 2!

19. John Carsell

I've been looking for one of those as well also for a Wings "Back To The Egg" done with the Maxicut process.

I've seen a few on ebay but the shipping to the US from Australia is obscene.

20. 2351tv

2351tv Forum Resident

we have a few "mint" copies of egg at a collectors shop here in Melbourne for around $20 aus (as i was eyeing them last weekend) the shop owner is a bit of a beatle nut....hence the mint condition

re: other Maxicut's quite fond of "Tug Of War" & "Broad Street":righton:

21. Ben Sinise

I find the shipping from the US or UK to Australia is just as obscene :D

Gavinyl likes this.
  22. camrock

camrock Active Member

But we're all very manly here, regardless of age or gender, so you don't hear us complain about it often.

23. John Carsell

Well at least we're on the same page with this. :righton:

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It costs are $15-$17 to ship a record from Australia to the US, or at least that is what I've had to pay on the past.

25. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

First of all ALWAYS remember that A$ is (currently!) 8% LESS than US$. Exchange rates at the moment are GREAT for us but BAD for you. Even so it's still A$1=US$0.92. Earlier in the year it crashed to around US$0.60c so you guys would have had absolutely NOTHING to complain about then at all for a change. So there!

FOR ALL USA MEMBERS REFERENCE
    - Here's the current rates and shipping from Australia Post (A government owned monopoly)

It's A$15.30 (US$14.27) for one LP under 500g or for 2LP's A$21.30 (US$20) if under 750g. If its 3LP's and is 750-1000g then its A$27.30 (US$25,46).

The link below will let you calculate EXACTLY what the rates are so you know for sure!
    http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/int_parcel_type.asp

I wouldn't exactly call it 'obscene' - just a bit more expensive - its also MUCH MORE expensive ($3-$10 Extra on-top of above rates to USA) from here to the UK for those exact same weights. That's MORE obscene :(

I just received 2 LP's from another forum member the other week (and very nice they are too George - so thanks mate!) in USA and it was US$15.50. So not that much difference really.
    You yanks have it sooooooo easy with cheap $4 domestic post and media mail etc. We can pay $10-$15 for just an internal interstate post here in OZ. Now that IS obscene. So please stop whinging about it all the bloody time, what goes around comes around, what you've gained on your roundabout you'll unfortunatley lose on your swings boys :) :love:

PS: Regarding the Maxicut Wings BTTE

1. YES they DO sound awesome for sure.
    2. YES they DEFINITELY sound better than any USA or UK cut (I have all three)
    3. NO you shouldn't pay A$20+ for it (I see them often here for around $10 or less if not NM). Don't get ripped off. Just wait and you will find.
    4. NO you shoudn't pay A$20+ shipping (its UNDER 500g and is A$15.30 (US$14.27). If any one is charging much more than that then you are being ripped off again.

Now that's off my chest anyone for a nice cool Aussie Beer? Cheers m'Dears :love: