EMI still "scared", it's all because of piracy.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I like that, Uncle Al! Great idea! It'll stir up some excitement for me! :D

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Al, the way I see it, the best they can do to sell rock to us old farts it to open up those vaults and get busy remastering!!!

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

money

quote "Who would pay $110 for 5 CD's? I don't think that people who buy the box sets and buy the re-issues account for much of the sales in the overall scheme of things. I think it's the 10 million sales of Britney and Eminem.
    quote:

>>>>>Geez, I have to really disagree with you.
    Box Sets DROVE the record industry in the 1990s. You dont think SONY sold a Zillion units of the Bruce Springsteen Live Box at Christmas time?

Or that Every Simon and Garfunkle fan alive bought the "Old Friends" box with all remastering from newly discovered masters?

Or the "Hitsville" Box set?

Or the KISS Box set?

Or the Stax/Volt Box set?

come on!!!

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Point well taken...oh, I don't know where I got that 'Big' Al in my last post to you. :D

5. Grant

Re: money

And I disagree with YOU! Maybe we music fanatics bought those boxes, but Backdoor...er Backstreet Boys, N' the Sink, Nirvana, Janet, J-Lo, Will Smith, and Barbie...uh, Britney, and a whole lot of phony cowboy crooners singing love songs made more money for the majors.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Rust never sleeps!

Too old too rock 'n' roll but too young to die.

Britney still has her looks! ;)

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

That's the ticket...but none of this sloppy crap that's been churned out. If they want to sell the CDs at the same premium price as today's hot 100 then make them 'Deluxe' packages as some are already doing. Give us more liner notes, more bonus cuts & outtakes, slicker packaging and master the damn things right.

My money awaits such efforts! :D

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: money

You really think all these box sets went multi-platinum? If they did, every mildly successful artist alive or dead would have a box set (or two) out and that box set would be remastered several times.

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Re: Re: money

>>>>>Thats the whole point!!!! Box sets DONT HAVE to go multiplatinum to make millions of dollars...the proft margin on a Box Set is obscene because most box sets are culled from material that is in the vaults and has already been paid for. Its pure profit. The recording costs have already been paid. a Major moneymaker for the Record Company. I mean, the Friggin MONKEES have THREE Box Sets Out!!! THREE!!!!

Thats why if you go into Tower, you'll see 10,000 box sets on the shelf. For that very reason.

And If I'm not mistaken, the Bruce Box set DID go Platinum.

10. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

It's not about music.

They are simply too big.

Like AOL-Time Warner, they are too big and they dont have the cash producing assets that can generate the revenue they need to feed The Beast they created !

For EMI, they are depending upon average earning revenues from their music operation, that would NEVER be big enough to generate the cash they need !

The music company is just a cash source, they are going to rape as long as they possibly can...when they reach the point of diminishing returns !

11. Grant

Do you think this is the beginning stages of the companies self destructing?

12. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Can you say consolidation? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.