EMM Labs Optilink Cable Replacements

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timztunz, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista Thread Starter

Has anyone had any experience with replacing (or upgrading) this set of 3 cables (black, red and blue) that make the connection between a CDSD and a DCC2 (or other DAC)? It seems that EMM wants $100 each or $300 for the set of three. Aural Symphonics has an Optimism emm set for over $3,000. Hey, hey....I'm just the messenger. Don't shoot me. If anyone has some experience with this matter I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What kind of connectors do they use? If they use ST fiberoptic connectors there is a company that make high quality cables but they will cost you $90 each.

3. timztunz

ST

That was kind of dumb of me to leave out that detail. Yes, they are AT&T ST connectors. I guess it's all relative right? $90 each seems like a bargain compared to over $1,000 each.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the web site on my computer at work, I'll post a link tomorrow

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Here is the link.
    http://www.lifatec.com/products.html
    They make communications and industrial optical cables. You have to call them for AT&T ST connections. I found them extremely helpful. They use a quartz glass 470 strand cable. The jacket is bx covering so don't expect anything too pretty but it sound great.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The EMM Labs converters are compatible with 62.5/125 multi-mode fiber. Many big name companies (Amphenol, Belkin, etc.) make such cable, and it is sold by the likes of CDW, etc. The Sonoma system (which used EMM Labs converters) was shipped with Amphenol OFNR (standard PVC) jacket fibers. Amphenol does make individual fibers, but most vendors sell duplex patch cords, so you would need to use two with half of one pair unused (or find a vendor for the single cables). I think you'll find these considerably cheaper:

http://www.cablesondemand.com/categ...InfoManage/ST-ST_FIBER_PATCH_CORDS_-_62...htm

CDW has them too, but are more expensive.

If you only need a few metres, no need to worry about fancy fiber, especially given the low data rate involved.

7. timztunz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.