Emmylou Harris - Stumble into Grace

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

I can't be the only forum member to have picked this one up. I've only heard the first few tracks in my car, but so far I like it. What do you think?

Regards,

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I heard a few tracks on WFUV. So far, it seems to be continuing the Red Dirt Girl vibe. I haven't picked it up yet, but I will. I'm going to see her at Carnegie Hall next month.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It only came out today, didn't it? Whatever. I'm a big fan and love "Red Dirt Girl", so I'll be picking this up later today.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Geoff

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Just finished listening to it - I think it's a keeper!

Love these pictures, too!

Chris

5. Burningfool

And this one...

6. Burningfool

And finally...

WOW!

7. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Normally I pick up any Emmy on release day, but I was actually awfully disappointed with Red Dirt Girl. Production was imitation Lanois (and not as skillful) and I really didn't respond to Emmylou's original writing. To me, it didn't hold a candle to Wrecking Ball, as much as I wanted it to. In that regard, I want to sample the new one before purchasing, and I definitely appreciate any early reviews....

8. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I agree totally.Very disappointed in the last one,Wrecking Ball was soooo much better.

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I loved both "Wrecking Ball" and "Red Dirt Girl". Looking forward to a New Zealand release on this one too.

10. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Produced by Mark Howard, as I recall, who definitely qualifies as a Lanois protege... I suspect it was Harris' choice since Lanois was likely involved in other projects at the time.

I think Howard produced the new album as well. I'll be picking it up sometime later this week.

11. Ken_McAlinden

The CD would be worth it if only for the June Carter Cash tribute "Strong Hand", which is unfortunately all the more timely in the wake of her husband's passing. I like Red Dirt Girl a lot, probably more than this one as a whole. The production is a bit more straightforward on the latest release. I'll give myself a few more days with it before passing a final judgement, though. I bought it on its release day along with the "Unclassified" CD from Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and I can't seem to stop listening to the latter.

12. stereoptic

Not to thread crap, but when isRhino going to continue their Emmy Lou Harris remasters? So far, only 1 album (and the 2cd anthology):confused:

13. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Robert Randolph is AMAZING. Everytime virtuoso players are brought up here or at other forums and he is not mentioned, my lungs feel like they are going to collapse.

14. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Y

Yeah, that's a good question? Cimmaron is the only one, right? There are a couple of classics I don't have except on LP, and I'd like to get remasters, or better yet, SACDs. Her catalog is unusually deep in really good stuff over 3 decades.

doug

15. stereoptic

Yes - with 2 bonus tracks IIRC. Next, I'd like to see Quarter Moon in A Ten Cent Town or Luxury Liner or ....

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Roses in the Snow was reissued earlier this year with a couple bonus tracks. Great sound too.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Wasn't there a reissue of the live album "Last Date" in a slipcase with bonus tracks, or was that an import?

Regards,

18. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Now that I think about it (duh), I got the "Roses" remaster but haven't really listened to it.

10 cent moon & luxury liner would be a great place to pick up the program!

doug

19. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

That was a domestic. Really a first rate album - it was the first time I heard it. Knocked out by her cover of "Racing in the Streets".

20. stereoptic

My bad. Rhino re-issued Roses in the Snow with bonus tracks. Cimarron and Last Date were re-issued on the Eminent label (with extra tracks and in a slipcase).

Roses in the Snow is excellent, and is more bluegrass inspired than any of her other releases.

and as CM Wolff noted above, Last Date is one of my favorite live albums. I, too, never heard it until the re-issue. Great version of So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad) !!:thumbsup:

21. Ken_McAlinden

I purchased a used vinyl "Last Date" exactly two weeks before I saw the reissue CD with bonus tracks on store shelves. I stuck with the vinyl, but agree that it is a strong live album.

Regards,

22. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

OK, I finally picked up Stumble into Grace - haven't been able to listen too thoughtfully, but I can tell I already like it better than Red Dirt Girl. (May have to put that one on again and try to re-appreciate it.) Definitely prefer the more straightforward production here.

If seeking out a decent price for Stumble into Grace, it is $12.99 at Costco.

23. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I've had a chance to listen to this new one a couple of times, and I also think RDG was a little bit better.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how is the 2-disc anthology from rhino?

opinions please.

renny

25. stereoptic

I like it. Some duplicates with the 3 CD "Portraits", but the Anthology covers more recnt material. I haven't compared the sound with the 2 collections, but the 2-CD anthology sounds excellent in the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.