Empire Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Jun 22, 2015.

1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently, I wasn't quite done exploring MM cartridges.

I recently stumbled upon an Empire 2000E. I'm not even sure this is the factory stylus (which I thought was red) for this model. Nevertheless, even as a flea-weight tracker (currently set at 1.15 grams), it's doing quite a nice job. At first listen, I'm not finding much that is objectionable with it's sonics and performance; rather impressed. Appearance-wise, it seems Empire chose to eschew any pretense. As with my other experiments, I'm now very curious as to how far I can take this cart with a Sound-Smith or Northwest Analogue retip/cantilever replacement, new leads, etc. Hmmmmm...

Anyone else have and like these carts or other models from Empire?

[​IMG]

Daily Nightly and Bolero like this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    56GoldTop likes this.
  3. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

I have one of these mounted in the Empire 398 turntable in my avatar here.
    It does a nice job in my vintage tube system.

fortherecord and 56GoldTop like this.
  4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

My father used Empire cartridge for many years. The 2000E/III is the one I remember the most. Had a nice nude elliptical diamond that seemed to do the job nicely. Good tracker and tracer.

5. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I used an Empire 2000Z cartridge for a while. A nice cartridge all around. I also gave a Empire cartridge to a friend of mine to use on her turntable. I cant remember what model it was, but she seems to like it. Too bad this company isn't still around...Good stuff.

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Are these moving iron?

7. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Empire EDR-9 cartridge. Went up to 50,000 hertz was made for quad use also. Was a 1980 model if I remember. Loved it..John M.

8. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

Yes

jupiterboy likes this.
  9. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I have a few of them, IMO they sound great

here is a catalog explaining the different models......there is also a LONG thread over on AK that is chock full of good info

[​IMG]

Old Rusty, doctor fuse, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

56goldtop, it appears you have an original Empire 2000 E III with the flipdown guard

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Or a 200 E with a mismatch stylus.

56GoldTop likes this.
  12. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

sorry I was referring to the stylus

the cartridge looks like a 2000 E?

13. 56GoldTop

No problem. :) Yeah, 2000 E with seemingly a better stylus.

14. 56GoldTop

Really? Moving iron? Huh, had no clue. Compared to my Grado or Stanton 681, they sound "clearer" and more MM-like (a plus as far as I'm concerned).

fortherecord and BrentB like this.
  15. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

A moving iron cartridge is usually considered a subset of the moving magnet category as it typically has a similar output and is attached to the moving magnet input on your preamp or receiver. The difference is that magnets are fixed in place and a piece of iron moves in the magnetic field to produce the signal rather than moving a tiny magnet.

Aftermath, unidyn and 56GoldTop like this.
  16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

How is the inductance, generally? I see the presented as not having the issues a MM cartridge does in terms of audible resonance peaks.

17. 56GoldTop

Yup. I just had no idea the Empire's were such. Ya learn something everyday. :agree:

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I started with a 2000Z back in the day, sounded great, but they had a habit of the tip coming unglued. I switched over to V15's and have never looked back.

19. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

56GT, is that stylus actually completely clear or is there a shade of color in it? If it's completely clear (no color) it's is a S2000 E/III stylus, a very good stylus. The replacemnt for the 2000 E/III cartridge, TOTL 2 channel cartridge until Empire released the 2000Z in about 1977.

Doug

russdall likes this.
  20. 56GoldTop

Looks completely clear under my LED spotlight, barring the gold lettering. In the pic I posted, it looks to be picking up some of the black from the table.

21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Yes! I have several of these carts and 2 mounted up. One is a 2000 e/ii, the other is a 5000 mk I. Very nice trackers and great sound. Watch the styli you buy and refer to the chart below when shopping. The replacements you will get most of the time(no matter the color) will be equal to the red/ 2000e and should track at near 2g. Jico has a few diff ones for all the same price if I remember. I think a couple of people on ebay sells them in diff variants of elliptical or conical.
    The ones I have that all use the same styli are 2000 e/ii, 5000 mk I, 2000 e/iii (all gold), 66ex, 66lex (silver), EXL10 and EXL20 (black). It seems that the 2000 z and t use an almost identical stylus with a different shank.
    All in all great carts. I compared mine to my Shure m97xe and preferred the empire. It sounds to me like a good Grado with more output. Really made an upgrade with the Audio Quest headshell leads and upping the VTF to about 1.8. Also using some kind of damping washers between the top of mounting tab and headshell helps.
    Enjoy!

jupiterboy likes this.
  22. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

It's funny. The sound produced by an Empire 2000E/III installed on my dad's idler-driven turntable and played through a Marantz 2215 receiver with Dynaco A-25 speakers is burned into my mind as being what "records" sound like. Very "musical", however you want to define that.

23. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

You could do a LOT worse than that set up.

Doug

24. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Definitely. He still has everything, sans the Empire, and the Dynaco A-25s are still his main speakers. The Marantz needs a tune-up but the turntable is a real project. I have a Sony PS-X600 Biotracer table that still works perfectly ready for him whenever he puts up a proper wall shelf for it.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  25. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I'm lucky enough to have built up a small stable of upper end Empire carts. I'm currently listening to an EDR.7 with the original stylus that's excellent, tracking at a hair over a gram. I also have an LTD400 body with a Jico S500ID that's pretty close to the EDR, and a 300ME with a NOS genuine S300ME. Sitting in a box is an EDR.9 with no stylus, waiting for a retip. In the past I've also had a 2000E/III and a 4000D/III.

The better Empires are good enough that both of my Audio Technicas are currently out of rotation.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.