Enigma : Mea Culpa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I have the Enigma single with three mixes of Mea Culpa and really like it. Anyone have other stuff by them and if so what is you're favourite?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I have "Sadeness" and "Mea Culpa" on 45, and the Japan LD of MCMXC a.D. Glad you brought this up, Khorn; I've had this one for years--fascinating video, BTW--but, amazingly, I've never played it for my girlfriend. Should be right up her alley, as she adores the group. Strange stuff, to be sure...hard to classify, though New Age is usually where stores stock it. Spent over five years on Billboard's Lp chart, sold millions.

ED:cool:

3. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I absolutely LOVE Enigma! Although I feel each successive album has been not quite as good as the previous one...

My ratings of the first four albums:

1) MCMXC A.D. - This is my very favorite Enigma! The one that started it all. Favorites: Principles of Lust, Sadeness and Mea Culpa.

2) The Cross Of Changes - Not as good as the first, but still excellent. Favorites: Return to Innocense, I love you - I'll Kill you.

3) LE ROI EST MORT, VIVE LE ROI! - Not as good as the second one, but still better than your average album.

4) The Screen Behind the Mirror - Probably my least favorite, but still listenable.

Nothing like making love while listening to an Engma album! :winkgrin: Only Delerium comes close...

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

4. Khorn

I'm not familiar with Delerium, what do you recommend by them?

5. Kevin Sypolt

You have to be careful with Delerium. There older stuff is real dark, techno stuff which you may/may-not like. My two favorites from their newer stuff:

1) Karma - Fantastic. Features the voice of Sarah McLachlan on one song. Real moody atmospheric music in the Enigma fashion.

2) Semantic Spaces - Not quite as good as Karma, but still great. Buy this one only if you like what you hear on Karma.

-Kevin

6. Khorn

Tnx, I'll try and get a hold of this one and see where it goes.

7. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Enigma was not that bad... how about the Singing (and Dancing) Monks of Santo Domingo de Something? ;)

8. Kevin Sypolt

To make love to??? :laugh:

9. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I agree - not the best kind of background music for that particular human enterprise... too kinky;)

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'm not that familiar with making love, but I'm intimately acquainted with delerium. ;)

PS. I like the first Enigma album.

Regards,
    Geoff

11. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

If you like EXACTLY THESE Gregorian chorals, look for some 70's recordings by the Munich-based choir Kapelle Antiqua on Polydor's MPS label. This is what had been sampled for "Mea Culpa"...
    MCMXC A.D. is by far the best Enigma album imho.
    Happy listening!
    Thomas

12. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

A great starter for Engima is 'Love Sensuality Devotion - The Greatest Hits'. This cd is packed 70+ minutes and is a great overview of their catalog. There is also a companion cd 'Love Sensuality Devotion - The Remix Collection', a collection of the better dance mixes.

Delerium - anything from 'Semantic Spaces' is a great listen. I prefer 'Karma' the best of the last 3 studio albums. There is actually 3 different versions of 'Karma'. The initial release had a second cd that contained 2 additional tracks. This version has a track called "karan" that was not on the single disc version. There is the regular single cd version that is currently available in the US replaces "karan' with "window to your soul". There is also a 2 cd import version where the second disc has 6 remixes from 'Karma' and 'Semantic Spaces'.
    The most recent 'Poem' is probably the weakest of the 3 cds. Rhys Fuller was not involved. There was a version released with a bonus cd that is currently out of print. Months after the initial release 'Poem' was re-issued with a slightly different track listing.
    There is also a 2 cd collection of remixes titled 'Odyssey' which collects most of the remixes from the last 3 albums.

Delerium has a new cd coming out late May and Rhys Fuller has rejoined Bill Leeb for this release.

Conjure One is also a great cd to check out which is a Rhys Fuller project and is in the same vein as Engima/Delerium.

13. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I'm not sure if it was available outside Europe but I have a box set Enigma - Trilogy that has MCMXC a.D, The Cross of Changes and Le Roi est Mort, Vive le roi! It was a bargain at £9.99 (US$15) and has a rotating wheel on the front cover a la Led Zep III :)

All the best - Andrew

14. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Here's another tip: Vision II - Spirit of Rumi (Angel 7343 5 56373 2 1) has some similarities to Enigma. Even a few samples by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan that were also used by Michael Cretu for Enigma 2. Lori Carson's sultry voice is even better than Sandra's to combine the tracks...
    (oh behave!...)
    Thomas

15. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Andrew, that box set was pretty widely available here in the States - and you're right, it was definitely an affordable way to acquire a good chunk of the band's back catalogue.

Enigma never really resonated that deeply with me, though, so I never picked it up. I think I do have that Delerium initial release of "Karma" somewhere, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.