Enterprise series?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevintomb, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

N-n-n-n-n-no. :winkgrin:

This is Topal

topol_as_tevye.jpg

This is T'P0l

t'pol.jpg

To mistake them... would not be logical. :D

2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

topol.jpg

If I were a captain
    Ya ha button button ya ha beepa beepa blinky push
    All day long I’d blinky button push
    If I were a space captain
    I wouldn’t have to work hard
    If I had a toggle toggle switch
    Blinky blinky flashy space captain

I’d build a big starship with rooms by the dozen,
    Me in the middle of the bridge
    A captain's chair with dozens of decks below
    There would be one long turbo shaft going up
    And one even longer coming down.
    And one more leading nowhere, just for show

If I were a captain
    All day long I’d blinky button push
    If I were a space captain
    I could yell out, Red Alert!
    If I had a phaser phaser zap
    Super super perfect space captain

larryk, benjaminhuf and IronWaffle like this.
  3. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Maybe they tried to resist Borg episodes but found their efforts futile.:biglaugh:

Sorry, but sometimes the low hanging fruit is just too tempting.

4. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Jeez. Now I have to complain about your post in the ear worm thread.:)

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

The episodes on Vulcan religious tradition were very good. Peter Weller's episodes were also entertaining, if a bit heavy-handed.
    One of the things I liked was that I could sit down and watch it with my young nephews. The theme song never bothered us...

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Let me guess, are you are accessing Netflix through a Panasonic blu-ray player?

The reason I ask is because I have one and there is a bug in the application that only allows it to display 100 episodes of a series, even though the entire series is available on Netflix. For longer running shows I have to watch them via my computer instead.

Not sure if other devices have the same issue, but it drives me insane because it has been broken for months (it used to display the full series, then all of a sudden stopped working correctly).

7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The episode in which the usually very repressed T'Pol was going through the Vulcan pon farr ('Bounty') qualified as one of the strangest, to me.

8. Hey even the weaker episode are endurable for me. I think thst the casting for the show was nearly perfect.

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Of all the ST captains, Scott Bakula was my favorite. The guy was just, well, likable.

10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Big fan here. Of course I never saw a Trek I didn't like... But I liked Bakula a lot, and the rest of the cast was pretty darn good too. Even liked the theme song :)

11. I'd disagree about DS9--it ran seven seasons and had more than found its footing and voice (and, in some respects, I feel it improves on ST:TNG).

Watching the second season of Enterprise on Blu (yes, I could watch it on Netflix but it cost virtually nothing to me because of giftcards) and even with season two the show improved.

There is a great cast reunion as an extra on this set--where Braga mentions that there has been interest in reviving the series among fans and it has picked up many new fans.

As weak as the first season was (and ST:TNG was, IMHO, worse during it's first season), the reputation of the series has grown since then. I'd love to see a fifth season but it's unlikely to happen.

Brannon Braga indicated he regretted writing the final episode (and it's the only episode that ticked off Scott Bakula enough so that he called and lost his temper yelling at Braga) and felt it was pretty awful.

The guy that plays Trip asked if there was some way to bring him back to life since he hated that his character died--so did I--and although the cast isn't brutally honest they do state that what they liked and disliked about the series.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    benjaminhuf likes this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I don't understand what you're disagreeing with me about. I was saying that TNG and DS9 lasted 7 seasons, but that Enterprise's plug was pulled just as it was improving in much the same way TNG and DS9 improved during their 3rd/4th seasons. So we're in agreement, I think.

13. I misread your post and thought it said like rather than unlike didn't catch it until later but it's all good because it continues to keep discussion on Enterprise open.

14. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Worst tv show theme song ever
    I didn't like how they made the Vulcans as heavies.

Temporal Cold War was kind of lame. Xindi was better but gee, why did those time dimensional beings really need the Xindi?

The two parter on the mirror universe was great. Glad to see Hoshi get a promotion. Sometimes I think they should do a "Mirror Universe" tv series

Too Trekked out is right.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Gotcha. No worries.
    On that we can agree. Really stupid decision to go that route vs. a majestic orchestral option like TNG, DS9 and VOY.

16. I never understood the desire to open with a bombastic ballad. According to the Blu-ray It was a song already written by Diane Warren for another project that Paramount already owned (if I recall correctly) and both Braga & Berman really disliked it--having something else in mind. That along with the changes (for example the first season was originally supposed to be Earth bound focusin on the struggles in launching a massie ship like Enterprise with the last episode culminating with the launch of the ship and no "Temporal Cold War"--both added because Paramoun insisted that they needed to be in space much earlier and have a strong moe futuristic element to it) Paramount insisted on and the fact that Braga and Berman wanted to take a year or two break between "Voyger" and "Enterprise" to recharge batteries all meant we ended up with a series that didn't quite measure up to expectations for the first year.

17. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

They wanted the opening song to be U2's Beautiful Day. But U2 said no.

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

"Not U2!" :winkgrin:

But a song from Dianne Warren, the greeting card poet of song writers, performed like an eviscerated Journey? Bah, humbug. Paramount probably found once they entered business with her they blew too much money and couldn't tell her no, so some show was going to be stuck with that song.

Liked T'Pol but didn't care for the treatment of other Vulcans either.

Does the changing treatment towards Vulcans say something about our culture? That it starts with noble if generalized philosophic interests (TOS); shifts to minimal but PC treatment (TNG); qualifies respect by loyalty (Enterprise, loyal T'Pol vs other Vulcans); then with the "reboot" recasts the most valued asset (Spock) as a tragic victim and literally just blows up all the rest with no time for philosophic aspects...

"Time war" is a tenuous concept no series is likely capable of extensively handling worth a darn, IMH; one ends up with the conventional war tropes for viewers to associate with. But a few have made some mileage on teasers. Xindi of course provided a more conventional face for our heroes to engage in more conventional Star Trekky terms.

Hm. If so, sounds like Braga & Berman were right all over the place there and were over ruled to the detriment of the series (and whole franchise).

Not in reply to anyone, but on the subject of arcs, I have mixed feelings. Arcs have been en vogue for a while now. Often arcs are a way to create recurring suspense without cliff-hangers and of course to stretch one idea over a load of episodes or a whole series. It can work to great effect, but if there isn't a great payoff it can be a terrible waste and kill rewatch appeal while at it. Over time I've come to generally prefer stand-alone stories to arcs. Meanwhile Star Trek series reflected the general trends towards arcs; TOS had no such thing, TNG developed some background arcs in later years and extensive swaths of Enterprise were invested in them. But Enterprise did a pretty good job on that count, I felt.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  19. benjaminhuf

I agree with Chris about story arcs....

These days, if you don't know a show and suddenly watch an episode in the middle of
    a season, you can be lost. And like with the show Lost, which I only watched a
    little of, the whole build up to a gigantic ending that's going to solve
    everything often doesn't work. In Lost, I think it was that they were all dead
    and dreaming in purgatory, or something, and somehow that was supposed to
    explain all the supernatural and unexplained stuff for 5 years. ???

I sometimes like serial storytelling, but more and more I appreciate a show that
    can wrap it all up when it's over, rather than continue stringing you along
    until next week and the week after that. And since new shows don't do that, I do more often watch old shows.

apileocole likes this.
  20. Yeah, that's right. I forgot about that. It would have worked better but I don't know if it would have been a perfect fit. The Diane Warren opening song is so cringe worthy that even my wife hates it and that's saying a lot.

21. What I did like even when there wasn't a story arc was the continuity for example in the episode after the Romulan mine, their security chief was still being treated for the damage that occurred to his leg. It's little touches like that or a reference to a precious episode even in stand alone episodes that worked for me.

apileocole likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Could not agree more.

23. benjaminhuf

In the documentaries for the first season, head writer Brandon Braga is brutally honest about the rough time his team had writing the first season of Enterprise. He hired a lot of people who weren't familiar with past Trek shows, and as you can imagine that was a big mistake. They didn't know the history, the technology, the different people, the ingredients that went into a Trek episode, etc. Only one of the new writers survived until the end of the season. Braga ended up rewriting most of the episodes himself, but he admits that some of them are pretty weak. He looks a little bit broken up about it to this day. But he's also proud of the episodes that did work out.

Scott Bakula comes off as a real good guy. Like the other captains, he was key, and a leader in the show and with the cast in real life. He was a total team player according to Braga and some others, and would do things like help move boxes when they were on location whenever it was needed. When the head of special effects won an Emmy that year, Bakula called him up from New York and gave him a heartfelt thanks. The FX guy really looked touched, and like it was maybe not something the other captains had done when they won during earlier years. The FX guy said that the studio took the technical awards almost for granted, and didn't make any fuss about them. He made a light-hearted joke about the fact that many people feel there's "just a button you push for creating a new effect"--like transporting when running down the hallways. Anyway, it was interesting stuff.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Have you seen the BD for S2? Some good new extras there, and Braga's pretty blunt about the bad aspects of the experience.

Bakula also comes across well, as many people talk about how nice he was...

benjaminhuf and wayneklein like this.
  25. benjaminhuf

Haven't yet seen S2. Still need to watch S1, and by then maybe the price for S2 will be lower....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.