Entire cast of Days Of Our Lives released from contracts.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Nov 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Apparently, the company that offered the contracts wants to save lots of money as soap-operas are struggling ratings-wise. So they decided to put the show on indefinite hold and plan on bypassing the cast's current contracts by using a loophole that'll give the production company the ability to offer new contracts at any rate they wish. It'll then be up to the individual actors to decide whether they want to take a significant paycut.

Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Their Contracts, Which Seems Ominous

Seems underhanded but I can see the business side of it.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's so good to see you that all the great old Hollywood traditions are still with us and honored - like contracts that only apply to the party with less power.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

As a former watcher, due to my mom, I guess it’s a bummer. However, it, along with The Young and the Restless remains as one of the two daytime soap operas still alive (is General Hospital still going?)

Something like this is a signal for the death knell of soap operas. Reality shows and other more true to life dramas drove this genre into the ground. Days had already cut their budget back big time. The sets were embarrassing. I cannot see this long time soap enduring this huge change. Y&R is not far behind.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

I remember being in college in the early 90s and watching the show for a few months when they had an amazing storyline that had one of the cast possessed by a demon. It was insane and hilarious.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

General Hospital is still on.

Wayne Hubbard and GodShifter like this.
  7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Even if these soaps are no longer make economic sense for the networks, you would think that there would still be enough of an audience to support a cable channel that produced first-run soap operas.

Or it might be possible that too many traditional soap opera viewers are quite old and on fixed incomes, and in many cases don't even have cable, broadband or a dish.

seed_drill and GodShifter like this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

From the 'golden opportunity' dept.:
    Have 'em all show up on the "Friends" re-union show, going over to Joey's apartment!

Paul J and cleandan like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That storyline was Marlena the long time psychiatrist and main female lead being possessed. It was an extremely unpopular story arc and led to a lot of watchers abandoning the show. I remember it. It was absurd and pulled off very poorly.

Radiophonic_ likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I've never watched five minutes of it. Are Luke and Laura still there? Dr. Rick Springfield? (See? I do know a few of the characters!)

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think primarily this is it. Most watchers are females of an older age who don't have anything but basic packages for TV. The don't have the ability to stream from other services or even have pay services like HBO, Showtime, or Starz or whatever else. Also, as I mentioned, reality tv really hurt the daytime soap opera. Essentially, the audience is dwindling and with that so does the advertising.

Remember how many there used to be? Off the top of my head: "The Edge of Night", "Search for Tomorrow", "Guiding Light", "Another World", "The Bold and the Beautiful" (this one might be still around, too),"One Life to Live", "All My Children", and several others. These were the day time soaps. The night time ones like "Knots Landing", "Dallas", "Falcon Crest", and "Dynasty" don't even factor in.

12. MikaelaArsenault

No problem. Rick Springfield, no. Luke's last appearance was in 2017, and Laura is still on the show.

Wayne Hubbard and GodShifter like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What was Rick's character's name? Dr. Noah Drake or something like that?

14. MikaelaArsenault

Yes.

15. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Clearly my viewing interests are out of line with typical soap fans. I enjoyed it, at least.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It was different. I’ll say that. I had quit watching by that point.

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Wow, that sounds awesome!

Solaris and uzn007 like this.
  18. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wow - I didn't even know they still had soap operas except on Telemundo. Maybe the networks should take a page from their playbook and pump up the violence and gratuitous cleavage.

Rooster_Ties and Ignatius like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm sure you can find clips of it on YouTube. Seek and enjoy.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

On the plus side,the Decades TV channel is rerunning "Dark Shadows"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

21. To be honest the Telemundo soap operas are so over the top different than American soap operas, can you really compare the two?

22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I am not qualified actually. When I do watch the Mexican soaps, I am solely focused on the aforementioned cleavage and don't notice much else. I know it's politically incorrect but I can't help myself. . :angel:

Jack Lord and cleandan like this.
  23. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Sounds like the sands are just about all through the hourglass now.

24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Well thank God. Never been a fan of soaps, but their extinction will signal the end of an era. And I am growing weary of watching so many eras end.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They should re-boot it as a Dark Shadows
    style Gothic melodrama!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.