Entry Level DAC Wars - Any opinion or suggestion?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crossroads69, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Baron, I may have missed something in your post, but what is the new DAC?

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

3. SoundRebels

SoundRebels Forum Resident

I've reviewed this DAC twice (almost 2 years ago and now) - it's not my cup of tea. :-( - it plays a lot of sounds, but I can't find there any music.

4. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I began using inexpensive DACs with a Beresford 7420 (under $200. very basic and no USB) several years ago, upgraded to a DacMagic (under $400 and an all-around great preformer) and I'm now using a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 ($350 with lots of things to fine tune the sound). They all sound good but...to me...they all sound different, too. The Cambridge sounded clean and the Grant sounds warm. DACs really are "system-dependent", moreso than other components.

I've recently put the Beresford back in the chain and was surprised just how good it still sounds...and it's the oldest of the three. Liking it so much that I'm thinking about trying the Beresford Bushmaster DAC (about $250 as soon as they're restocked at their website). Heard good thing about it, too. Lots of lower-priced choices these days.

5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

The MYDAC arrived today in well-protected bubble wrapped package from ListenUp. The build quality is better than what I expected based on some of the reviews ("cheap plastic"). Initial installation took some time as I had to install the old Windows driver 1.22, then update firmware on the MYDAC and then update the Windows driver to 1.56. The process was quite straight forward and I simply followed the directions from Micromega's website.

I haven't done much listening yet but on first few listens, the MYDAC seemed to offer a better defined soundstage and some improvement in separation compared to the three year old $99 Nuforce uDAC. The vocals also seem to have more presence.

I will post more comments later this weekend once I've had more time to listen. I'm thinking of picking up the Dragonfy from my local Bestbuy so that I can compare the two DACs and see if I have a preference.

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have 2 Bifrost(s), a Dragonfly and a Music Streamer II and the non upgraded Bifrost dacs sound best to me. The Dragonfly is a great accessory for a laptop. I remember reading about an issue with the Mydac relating to Mac users.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I've been contemplating a DAC purchase by the end of the year but I would be starting from scratch on the digital DAC end. Right now, I just have my digital (MP3 files) on the my MacBook Pro. I never use it on the main rig. I also have about 10 unclaimed high res (96/24 and 192/24) downloads sitting around. I'm really not sure what all I need to get started but my guess is a DAC, external storage unit but I'm not sure what else I'd need and how much all this might cost for a decent setup. I'd rather keep the entire investment south of $1K. After the DAC addition, my home listening would likely be 90/10 vinyl vs digital if that makes sense. DAC for Dummies.:D

8. Baron Von Talbot

Indeed astonishing how different some DAC#s sound. The Musical fidelity is precise + dynamic - perfect for TV and movies amon other things.
    The Music Hall DAC 25.3 sounds very warm, inviting nd bass strong. It takes vocals nd intruments to another level.
    Hearing the new John Fogerty album "Wrote A Song For Everyone" in lossless over the Yamaha network Player late at night really was, what sold the 25.3 to me.
    I played it twice and on Have You Ever Seen The Rain and Some Days Never Come I was just awe struck.
    Sounded perfectly wonderful.. Gels excellent wth the Yamaha.
    If your system is already on te warmer sideor bass strong the MuFi would be better.
    There is no other way than listening at home for a while to know if a certain DAC is for you or not.

9. Yes I would definately go with the Bushmaster if I was you - it is astounding value for money. As they sell direct there are no dealer margins built in - I would say that the Bushmaster is easily as good as the much more expensive Rega and Audiolab DACs.

I recently had my Musical Fidelity X10D Tube Buffer overhauled - see here :-

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/1961/work-progress?page=15

The sound quality of the Bushmaster playing through the Upgraded X10D is incredible.

Sadly the guy that makes the cases for the Bushmaster recently died so Stan at Beresford is having difficulty with stock at the moment - however, I am sure he will sort this out soon.

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think very highly of my older Beresford Dac, and would love to check out the Bushmaster, but it is hard to imagine buying a Dac with no USB input these days.

11. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

12. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

I know you said you didn't want to audition. But I still thought I'd chime in to recommend trying to audition different DACs if possible. Other folks' opinions are great, but ultimately it is about how it lines up with your preferences in your system.

13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Mike, do you have a laptop available to connect to the DAC? Even if not, you can definitely get into something nice for under $1k.

14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, my wife has a MacBook Pro. I've been thinking about getting a Mac Mini for myself and selling my I-Pad. She's home 80% of the time I'd be playing the DAC so I really hate to double buy.

The only things I've researched were the NAD DAC (low end for me) and the Rega DAC (high end for me). I'd rather find something that's good and in-between the price range of these two. I'd love to buy it from my local store to support them but I'll have to research what they carry.

Also, I don't have any type of external storage device or subscription to any type of music server,etc.

Honestly, I'm so uneducated with this subject it is silly. I only have a slight interest in digital audio though, so I think that is the problem with doing the hardcore research and education.With vinyl and analog, this wasn't a problem 4 years ago when I did extensive research.

I think my goal would to be to upload my old and small cd collection and any other cds that I come across that are ridiculously priced on vinyl (mainly 90s hip-hop and rock). I'd also like to be able to use the high-res download codes that come with a lot of the new lps I've purchased (i.e., John Frusciante, MBV and Nick Drake). I doubt I'd be purchasing a lot of HD Tracks as I'd rather have the vinyl for most titles and currently their selection is limited for my tastes. I'm sure in 5 years this could be different.

15. Baron Von Talbot

Once you got the DAC integrated to your stereo I bet you'll love it. Takes music listening to another level. direct access, thousands of tracks waiting to be played or streamed...A Mac Mini will be quiet and stable - via hmi you can link it with a HD TV.
    If you want to keep Stereo + TV seperate a lap top or iPad would be a good choice. Make sure you get a DAC with Blue tooth then..
    No cables necessary.

16. Baron Von Talbot

Having enough music on HD is the key of course...I got like 500 songs by the rolling stones by now or 63 Beethoven CD's etc.

17. I believe Stan is working on a Mark II version of the Bushmaster as we speak with a USB input.

I must admit not having the much vaunted asynchronous USB input did give me pause for thought when buying the Bushmaster. However, my Squeezebox Touch is fully equipped with Coax and Toslink outputs so the the lack of USB gives me no problems. As to whether USB sounds better I am yet to be convinced - the Bushmaster sounds marvellous on Coax. I know there are jitter reduction arguments for the USB but I wonder in the real world whether this makes much difference to the sound quality. It will be interesting to compare the inputs when Stan releases the Mark II Bushmaster.

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Mike, I think you'd really enjoy listening through a DAC. However, if most of your collection is on vinyl, I can see what you're saying about the 90/10 split. I think you should start with a simple DAC with a USB input. I've heard really good things about the Schiit DACs, and the Bifrost is well within your price range. You could get one for $449, and it comes with a 15 day money back guarantee and five year warranty. Plus, it's upgradeable. You would have enough money left over to pick up a new laptop running Windows 8. I think I saw a Toshiba Satellite machine on sale at Best Buy this week for $270.

I think you should start with a simple setup like this, and see if you like listening this way. If it ends up that it's "not your thing", well you could easily re-sell the DAC and keep the laptop for other uses. Just a thought.

I would also recommend looking into a used PS Audio unit. I sold my Nuwave recently for $600, and you could grab a Digital Link III for $350 or so. I really liked the DLIII (my first DAC) and it would be a great starting point. They are solid state with no moving parts, so I wouldn't be concerned with purchasing something pre-owned.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Still recommend a Bifrost.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I will reference this message when the time comes to purchase. As well, I may PM you with "dumb" questions as well.

21. Baron Von Talbot

If you can afford it I'd try to get a DAC/ADC - which means you can easily transfer your Vinyl to the digital file of your choice - that way you will still get a lot of the analog sound yo love, while being able to listen to a whole bunch of LP's or Sides, as you wish without having to get up and turn records on the TT.You still can do that of course, but I do like the stuff I recorded from my TT .

I know it might be way beyond your original budget, but if you want high quality and good sound get acoustomed to the brand new Musical Fidelity M1SDAC. A swiss army knife type of Super DAC/ADC, that lets you record from analog sources - you still need a Phono, which makes sense, A very decent headphone ampfor monitoring plus Blue Toth antenna, that lets you stream directly from a cellphone or a tablet, of course also from a MAC or PC with BT. BEsides that it is a pre-amp, that let's you drive powered speakers or a power amp.
    Sound Quality is off the hook, build quality as well.

Get some info about this new cool item..

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1sdac/

mikemoon likes this.
  22. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

23. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

VERY interesting. I'm wondering how long this sale will last.

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If wireless is a consideration, take a look at the Audioengine D2

25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

My 2 week experiment with the Micromega MyDac hasn't been without issues. Connected to my Windows 7 Thinkpad, there is occasional stuttering (usually happens during first few songs of new listening session), occasional tiny clicks/pops during playback and sometimes the system just stops working. For some reason, sometimes Windows just stops recognizing the MyDac and hence there is no playback from foobar/iTunes (unknown output device error). This gets solved by disconnecting the MyDac, shutting down the music player apps and trying connecting again (quite a pain).

When it does work correctly though, it sounds great and is definitely an improvement over the uDAC. The improvement of vocals is my favorite part - John Lennon has never sounded better in my living room. Listening to Julia from the White Album is just the perfect ending to a late night listening session. All instruments have more presence as well as better definition (especially stuff like cymbals compared to uDAC).

The other thing I noticed about the MyDac was a sampling rate issue when connected to the Mac posted on their website (http://www.micromega-hifi.com/index.php/en/support/tips-a-tricks/configuration-dun-mac-avec-mydac). Since I plan to move using a Mac Mini at some point, this may affect me in the future.

So I'm leaning towards sending it back while I can :( than having to deal with these issues on longer term. I am not sure if my current issues have to do with the MyDac or Windows 7 (it could well be my 4 year old laptop) but I don't wanna take the chance and be stuck with it. What the MyDac has done is shown me that the convinience of PC streaming can be taken to next level with a quality USB DAC like itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.