Entry level turntable for Denon DL-103

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alexbunardzic, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Completely rookie questions, I apologize in advance if this has already been explained (couldn't find it searching the forums):

I've decided on a whim to purchase Denon DL-103, being curious to delve into the world of analog music. I've never had the privilege to listen to moving coil cartridges reproduce music, so I am mighty curious to experience that. Now, the question I have is what is the most suitable entry level turntable (and phono) for this cartridge?

I was looking into Rega PR1, but realized that it doesn't offer VTA adjustment. Another attractive TT for me would be Pro-Ject Genie, but I'm not sure if it'll be able to host Denon DL-103?

Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

You'll need a tonearm that is relatively high mass, as the Denon DL-103 is a low compliance cartridge. I wouldn't look to use one any of the Rega arms. Can you post your budget?

AmericanHIFI and McLover like this.
  3. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Two things the 103 will work best w/a medium compliance tonearm. If the arm is on the light side more weight can be added to the head shell. Also when looking for a phono it should have a minimum of 60db for this cart. Denon sells a SUT that can be used w/an inexpensive phono to match the cart.

4. alexbunardzic

Thanks for your quick reply. I won't be able to go much over a $1,000 for both the turntable and the phono combined.

5. alexbunardzic

Thanks. Does that mean that both Rega RP1 and Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie are not suitable for this cartridge?

6. Erocka2000

Correct. I would not use a 103 on either of those tables. I suppose most people tend to buy their tables first and then select a cartridge. The $1,000 price point would definitely lean towards a used table/phonostage if you're dead set on using the Denon. I'm not sure what to recommend for that. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  7. alexbunardzic

My line of reasoning was to start from the very source -- a stylus meeting the vinyl grooves. Did a lot of research on that, and realized that Denon DL-103 seems like a real bang for the buck (considering my slim budget). Now I'm working my way backwards -- arm, TT, phono...

I am prepared to compromise on the 'good enough' for now. I just want to experience the sound of moving coil, and then refine it as my budget allows down the road.

8. alexbunardzic

Also, I have my old Dual 505 in full working condition chucked somewhere in my basement. Would it be suitable for Denon DL-103 for starters?

9. Erocka2000

Not sure about the Dual 505, but from the pictures, it seems that it too, would not be ideal for the Denon.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Right, it has a low mass tonearm, popular at the time. Just about any tonearm could be made to work, but you would have to add weight to the headshell to get the effective mass up to match well with the low compliance, and also get a heavier counterweight so that it can be balanced. So best to start with a tonearm already designed for that type of cartridge, or at least with a medium mass tonearm that can use the stock counterweight. I think the Technics SL1200 tables can use a DL-103 with either heavier headshell or shim weight, and they have auxilary weight that can be added for balance. Not sure about new stuff.

11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

how much money are you willing to spend for your speaker/ stereo reciever or pre amp & amp. You cant blow all your money on a TT. Depending on your budget I could give some advice.

12. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

You may want to consider the Denon Dl-110 HOMC which would be a better match for your TT's.

googlymoogly likes this.
  13. alexbunardzic

I already have my rig fully fleshed out. I am now branching into analog, and am looking forward to comparing the vinyl playback to my fairly high-end digital playback.

Tropehjelm likes this.
  14. alexbunardzic

I've already purchased Denon DL-103.

15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

the DL-103 works fine with a rega tonearm. Assuming the lower end rega arms are still basically the same. I used a DL-103R with an rb-250 or rb-300 with good results. It's not a great match on paper but the sound and tracking performance/test results were actually quite good. ymmv though.

DL-103 is pretty low output though so you need a capable phono stage or step-up to use with it

33na3rd and HiFi Guy like this.
  16. alexbunardzic

Thanks. The dealer at my local Rega dealership told me that he doesn't recommend it because it doesn't have the ability to adjust VTA, and according to him, DL-103 is quite a tall cartridge that will require VTA adjustment (or shims).

17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

also, you mentioned vta adjustment. I wouldn't make that too much of a priority -- conical stylus on the DL-103, so changes in VTA are not especially noticeable. you can always use shims or platter mats to make some changes

Rolltide likes this.
  18. alexbunardzic

I thought DL-103 comes with spherical stylus?

19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

hmm, i think the DL-103 is kind of a short cartridge-- I guess it might be taller than rega carts by a mm or so but it's not taller than some other cartridges I have around (ortofon kontrapunkt, dyna, etc). but you can always shim the arm at the mount or at the headshell as needed.

20. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

conical = spherical

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Are the Jelco arms suitable for the 103? If so, I would think a vintage table with a Jelco arm might be the cheapest way to set up the 103 for success. Also, consider a SUT into a MM phono stage to get the most out of the 103.

Pomodori likes this.
  22. alexbunardzic

Thank you for clarifying that. Looks like once again the dealer is reaching for 'alternative facts' in order to convince the buyers to spring for a more expensive unit. Is there such thing as an honest salesperson?

23. alexbunardzic

Thanks for the suggestion. What's the best way to purchase SUT? And the suggested price range? (sorry, SUT is a completely new thing for me, so I'm clueless)

24. alexbunardzic

I stand corrected :)

25. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

if im not mistake some components like surround sound speakers for example aren't good for hi-fi. Audio- Technica makes good cartridge go to the high-end ones and ask a question they will usually answer and see if it will fit your specific turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.