Entry level turntable for Denon DL-103

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alexbunardzic, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good idea. But then I'd have to drive across the border to pick it up, and I've heard they're now doing a coding test at the US border to weed out all the software developer imposters...

2. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hi Alex,

I have used Denon MC cartridges on Rega arms for 20 years. Whilst I haven't used the 103, I have found the 110, 160 and 304 all give superb results on rega arms.

You need to make sure your phono stage is a good match for the 103 in terms of loading.

Cheers,

Mark

3. alexbunardzic

Thanks Mark. In your assessment, would Emotiva XPS-1 (XPS-1 High Performance Phono Preamp | Emotiva ) be a good match for 103 in terms of loading?

4. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

If you go with a turntable with steel (magnetic) platter, I think you'll need to replace that with something non-magnetic for MC cartridges.

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

If anything, the Denon isn't tall enough to fit in a Rega turntable, not too tall. You'd need either an extra-thick platter mat, or a spacer between the cartridge and the headshell.

But the big obstacle is that a 103 won't even balance on a Rega arm with the standard counterweight. Rega offer optional heavy counterweights for their higher-end arms, but I dunno if they have something like that for the RP1.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of that phonostage. I used to use it with a $1000 cartridge and loved it.

The "special sauce" with a 103 is to use a step up transformer, but that's definitely a good start.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  7. alexbunardzic

Awesome, thanks!

8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

If you're interested in a Denon cartridge, I echo those who have suggested the 110. If you're intent on a Rega, why not ask the dealer if they'll include one of the lower-end Rega cartridges for a discount with the table? I love the 103, and have used several, but they aren't optimal in use with a lower-torque 'table and a lower mass arm. I use a modified Rega arm on my turntable (the Audiomods, which uses the Rega armtube, but with a different selection of parts and bearings than the standard issue) and have a Denon 103R, but in an aluminum case from Paradox. I also have used a Zu-modified 103, and the extra weight helps bring the effective mass of the 'arm into more sympathetic resonant frequency and performance. Will the standard Denon work on a Rega arm? Of course - just not optimally, IMO.

I do think the Denon 110 will be a better cartridge sonically than the entry-level Regas, but that's just my opinion. With the Rega, ease of mounting one on a Rega tonearm counts for something in terms of reduced setup time and not needing to have a step-up transformer or a headamp to boost a small signal from a low-output moving coil cartridge. The 110 also has higher output than the 103.

9. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Since it looks like there are some Music Hall dealers in Vancouver, I wonder if the carbon fiber arm on the $500 (US) MMF-2.3 would work well? I think all the necessary adjustments can be made on those.

10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The effective arm mass is way too low ... NEW! music hall mmf-2.3 - music hall ... that's why your previous suggestion of the Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon Turntable with the heavier S-shaped tonearm was pretty good, it has over twice as much effective mass. Kinda goofy looking, but that's the right direction.

Rolltide and SpeedMorris like this.
  11. alexbunardzic

Thanks. As I mentioned in one my previous replies, the cat is out of the bag and I have already purchased Denon DL-103. So I'm now not in the position budget wise to consider any other cart. I'm now onto finding a suitable TT for around $500 - $700 (I think I've settled on Emotiva phono).

12. Gretsch6136

To be honest, I reckon you should sell the 103, and get an RP3 with a DL-110. Their ain't nothing wrong with that setup at all. It sounds great and will be compatible with just about any MM phono stage/integrated amp out there.

andybeau likes this.
  13. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I'm using a 103 LCII and was previously using a standard 103 in an RB300. I am using an extra little weight in the head but it is very good; revealing across the spectrum.

14. td320_vinylist

td320_vinylist Forum Resident

Try to find a second hand Thorens with the tp90 arm like the td320 mk II. It is a higher mass arm that will match the dl103 well. Plus they are very fine tables.

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It'd be cool if you found a vintage Denon turntable. I've got a Denon DP-1100 turntable running with a DL-110 cart.:righton:

Welcome to the analogue world!

16. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Be careful with the 103, especially with Rega, it has certain old school and dark warm tone, that doesnt blend too well with Rega IMO. Dl110 would be much better match.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

SUT's even if they are better (which some will tell you not) are out of your price range for a decent one and you still need a MM stage.

For A Denon I think your best bet would be a Jelco 750d possibly mounted on a vintage TT such as Thorens 160. However that also breaks the budget. You could try a Pioneer PLX1000 and buy a heavier head shell. This should leave you enough for a Lehman Black Cube or the newly released Rega Fono MC.

Rolltide likes this.
  18. alexbunardzic

Thanks for your suggestion. What would be the advantage of DL-110 over DL-103?

19. alexbunardzic

Yes there is. Visited them yesterday, they have it all. They suggested one Pro-Ject TT (forgot the exact model) that would be, according to them, suitable for DL-103. The only problem -- price. They retail for $1,700.

20. alexbunardzic

Thanks. It's amazing how much I've learned from you guys in just a short couple of days! This community is amazing, with so many knowledgeable people who are generously sharing their knowledge. I feel honoured to be here :)

LitHum05 likes this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I was going to suggest the Pioneer PLX-1000 as well. Pioneer is large enough that probably anybody in the world can mail order it, it's gotten good reviews, and would work with the 103.

Pioneer PLX-1000 on amazon.ca

22. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd be looking at used...

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's more likely to be compatible with a turntable in your budget range.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

Buy a vintage Empire with the stock arm and be done. That'll get your fert wet with a nice high mass arm at around $500 or so.

25. Gretsch6136

Wide compatibility with a big range of phono stages and amplifiers.

patient_ot and EmmEff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.