Entry level turntable for Denon DL-103

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alexbunardzic, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's definitely a bi advantage. What about sound quality -- are the two commensurable?

2. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Never heard the 103 but the 110 isn't a slouch. I also have the 304 which is 4 times the price and the 110 compares well to it.

3. alexbunardzic

Today I have found Thorens TD 160 and Thorens TD 166, both selling for under $500. Would any of these two cut mustard with DL-103?

4. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Depends which tonearms they have, the early ones have pretty high mass, but not the later ones. You'd have to provide the model suffix, like MKII, etc, and whether they have the stock tonearm.

5. alexbunardzic

Here is the listing:

Thorens TD-160 turntable.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You buy that right this instant.

I'm serious. Don't be coming back here tomorrow with more questions because you didn't buy the TD-160. That seems to be the Mk 1 with the heavier tonearm.

7. Davey

Rolltide likes this.
  8. alexbunardzic

Consider it done, Sir! (now, if only this seller would return my calls...)

SpeedMorris and Rolltide like this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yeah, from what I saw the MK2 dropped the nice wood plinth in favor of ugly metal, etc. It mentions having new RCAs, a fresh belt and lubed bearing, so the owner probably just got i back from a shave and a haircut at their local tech.

10. alexbunardzic

Thanks Davey. Looks like it's the right thing to do, then (I was gearing toward getting me a nicer Technics SL 1200, but hey!)

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think the TD-160 is the better investment. For the same price, as Technics 1200 probably has scars from countless DJ battles, etc. Also, the 16.5g arm on that Thorens will make the Denon sing without tinkering with heavier head shells and counterweights. Also made in Germany during the golden age of turntables, etc.

alexbunardzic likes this.
  12. alexbunardzic

I'm also looking at the fully refurbished Thorens TD 166, which I figure is inferior to TD 160, right?

13. Davey

Just be careful about getting into something that turns into a big project, unless you like that. It's a very old turntable, and I don't think those tonearms were the greatest, even when new. But they work and aren't too fussy once set up. And there is a ton of info online to guide you through any repairs or restorations, including a big section at the Analog Dept... Thorens TD 160 Dept.

14. alexbunardzic

Would TD 166 be suitable for plan B in case the seller does not respond (or he may have already sold this 160 TT)? Or should I go after the Technics?

15. alexbunardzic

Gotcha. Truth be told, I'm not too big on DYI, I'd rather spend time listening to music. But if a little effort in rolling up my sleeves can buy that extra mile, I'm all for it!

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's not a bad table, but the arm isn't a match for the Denon at all. What makes the 160 fantastic for your purposes is its a great table, in good shape and local to you, and a perfect fit for the cartridge you want to use.

That table has been listed for 15 days, surely the seller didn't find a buyer right before you contacted them right?

17. alexbunardzic

I sure hope so. Sometimes people are tardy and don't bother removing the ad from craigslist after they sell. I only found the ad today and contacted them right away. I'd be furious if the table is gone. But in case it is gone, I should not bother with TD 166 but go straight for Technics SL 1200?

18. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

You'll have to understand that the 103 was designed and used for broadcast work. Tough as nails and it has the suspension of a train (almost no suspension VERY low compliance).
    A high mass, rigid arm is needed in order for it to track as it was designed to and not prematurely wear records, as the shock absorber wouldn't load well enough. Ortofon offers one of their models in high mass armwand.
    That said , there are a few companies whom upgrade/modify it's suspension to higher compliance along with other performance enhancing mods.
    ZYX comes to mind, ZU audio (speaker maker in Utah), etc.
    It is a very good cartridge if you know how to work with it. Good luck.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. Gretsch6136

Buy the TD160. I have a TD160 Super. You won't regret it.

20. alexbunardzic

Too bad, just found out that TD160 has been sold. So I have no other sources to get it from. Now the question is should I get TD166 (still available for sale), or go for Technics SL1200?

21. alexbunardzic

OK, found one guy who is selling TD160 in Montreal for $500 (Thorens TD 160 | autre | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji ). He says he would be willing to ship to Vancouver, but thinks it's risky, as these tables don't ship well.

Anyone has any opinions on shipping Thorens TD160 across the continent?

Gretsch6136 likes this.
  22. Gretsch6136

These will ship fine provided they are correctly packed. There are two shipping screws located in the base plate of the plinth. Tightening these will lock the floating suspension down so it doesn't wobble when being moved.

Then the outer platter and belt need to be removed. The inner platter should then bit lifted up a little and have a couple of polystyrene foam spacers placed under it and tape down in place. This will ensure the bearing doesn't have any contact with the base of the spindle so no damage can occur from nasty bumps.

Finally the tonearm should be tied or taped to its rest and the lid taped or tied down in place.

Wrap the turntable and outer platter separately. Put the outer platter in the bottom of the shipping box first, and then the turntable in on top of it. Obviously use plenty of packaging material to provide a good amount of cushioning and protection.

Do all this and it will be just fine when you get it.

23. alexbunardzic

Thanks for the advice, let's see if this could be arranged...

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the DL-103 is a good match for a Jelco tonearm. Will work well. IanL's advice is solid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.