Entry level turntable recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grateful Ed, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd hoping to buy a turntable within the next month or 2. I've mainly been looking at the U Turn Orbit Custom (built-in preamp, cue lever, Ortofon 2M Red or OM5e). I'm also considering the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC or the Rega Planar 1. The latter 2 will cost at least $100 to $200 more than the Orbit since I need a phono preamp. I have a pair of Audioengine HD6 speakers.

Regarding anti-skating - I think these 3 tables all use different methods. Orbit has a spring, Pro-Ject has a string and weight, and I think the Rega is magnetic. Is one preferable?

For some reason I'm drawn to the Rega, but I'm kind of baffled that a $475 turntable comes standard with a conical stylus. After buying a separate preamp and upgraded cartridge I'm looking at a turntable that cost as much as my speakers.

Price range is $400-$600 (including all upgrades and accessories), but I'd like to stay at the lower end of that if it makes sense.

What would you recommend?

2. Grateful Ed

Also have looked at the NAD C556 quite a bit. From what I understand it is a rebranded Rega RP1?

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

First, why do you want a turntable? Second, are you the type who always has the upgrade itch?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

There's so much trouble with the Rega RP1 arm, skipping and antiskate mismatch, and poor/no support for that, that I would strike that off your list.

5. Grateful Ed

I've always liked records - the artwork, the ritualistic aspect of it, the idea of all-analog sound. I've always avoided it though because of the cost of the hobby.

I like to think I don't have the upgrade itch, but I think I may.. at least a little bit.. But since my speakers are fairly new, I think it would be a long time before I seriously considered upgrading anything else in my system after buying this turntsble.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  6. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

7. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I think the customer gets a lot for the money with the U Turn Orbit. It's calibrated and balanced for the customer from the factory, which is in Boston. 2 Year warranty and attentive service staff from what I hear. Specs are good. One can customize the aesthetics a bit.

I am utilizing both the Ortofon 2M Red on my Technics and the Ortofon OM 5e on my DUAL. I like the sound of both very much. I've owned a few Grados, and recall being underwhelmed by the Presitge Black IIRC.

In fact I just finished spinning Carly Simon's ANTICIPATION lp on the Technics, and it really sounded SWEET!

Both carts can be upgraded easily by exchanging the stylus. The 2M Blue cart is significantly higher $$, and only you can answer if worth the extra cost over the Red. Myself, I'm happy with the Red.

I have never owned a true manual turntable. Only automatics or semi-automatics, and for me, if I was in the market to buy, I'd place moderate consideration the the features that would at lease lift the arm and shut the platter off at record's end.

Just a Gramps' input. Happy shopping.....

GT

ps: BTW, I love your handle "Grateful Ed"......

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

It sounds like you simply want to enjoy the process of the format. If that's the case, something like the U-turn orbit is great. If you want sound that's superior to streaming and CD's, then I suggest you reconsider or alter the budget significantly. Starting out in the entry-level can be a slippery slope if sound quality is your ultimate goal.

That said, I would pick the U-turn hands down. I've read countless comments regarding quality issues with the others.

U-turn appears to have great customer service, which is invaluable with any turntable purchase.

9. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I would buy a used Technics.

karl reis, Opeth, Clonesteak and 5 others like this.
  10. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

11. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

If it were me. I'd try the U-turn. You can always upgrade later.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  12. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

13. k4rstar

k4rstar Well-Known Member

I'd go for the U-Turn, their customer service and return policy is very generous, I don't really think you can go wrong with the table and options they provide at the price either. In case vinyl doesn't turn out to be your thing (it certainly isn't for everyone) you can return the table no questions asked.

Avoid Rega's entry level stuff.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  14. Grateful Ed

I actually saw that post shortly after I create this one, but figured I'd leave it up to see if I got any fresh ideas

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

You say you need a phono preamp, and it is an important part of the sound... for that, perhaps look into the Schiit Mani, which is relatively cheap ($129) but apparently crazy-good in its price class.

The U-Turn's phono-preamp option (the Pluto) is cheaper, but I'm not sure it's quite in the same league... I'll let others with more experience with both/either weigh in on that.

PhilBiker and Grateful Ed like this.
  16. Grateful Ed

Enjoying the format is definitely a good assessment, but sound quality is also a high priority. I intend to only buy high quality, well-mastered records. Given that the HD6 speakers will likely be my main speakers for at least a few years do you think it makes sense to go further than the U-Turn With an upgraded cartridge right now? Does buying a $1000 turntable for $750 amp/speakers combo make sense?

17. Grateful Ed

How is the cartridge that come standard on that? I think its their Magic cart

18. Grateful Ed

Thanks for the input, Gramps. Would you say the 2M Red is worth an extra $40 over the OM5E? Could you elaborate on the differences between them? It seems the OM can be upgraded for less money in the future with any OM stylus

19. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

That's hard to say, the description says it's the MH Tracker, which is the sames as an OEM cartridge used by a number of manufacturers also known as the 'Red Ed". Goldring also rebadged it as the "electra" But the picture shows an Ortofon design which, as far as I can tell, is basically an OM10 and which can be upgraded easily to an OM20. If it's the Ortofon/Magic, I'd definitely go for it. If it's the Tracker/Electra, still not a bad buy. I had one of the non-name red ed versions for a buit but I bought it for a table I was selling so only listened for a few hours, but it was a well-balanced cart, however the upgrade path stops there unlike the Magic/Ortofon which can take any OM stylus up the line (OM20-40).

Grateful Ed likes this.
  20. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Technics SL-1200 They Cost $450-600 in NYC.

recstar24, Grateful Ed and BayouTiger like this.
  21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The good news is you won't go wrong with any of your choices.

If it were my money I'd buy the U-turn. The only upgrade I'd consider would be maybe the first step-up cartridge. I wouldn't get the integrated phono pre as I don't need it and would rather have the flexibility of adding my own later. For you - the integrated pre may offer a great deal of value. If you like a clean look it will be better than having some external box.

How are you planning to switch inputs to your powered speakers? Do you have some kind of passive switch or something?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Grateful Ed likes this.
  22. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Just as addendum to the OP, a few ppl report hum issues with the Mani. So, that's something to look into.

Schiit does have a 15-day return policy, however. So, you're not stuck with it if it somehow doesn't play nice with your system, or vice-versa.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  23. Grateful Ed

The space I have is pretty slim (may even have to leave the dust cover off) so anything bulky like the SL1200 probably won't work for my setup right now. A friend of mine used to have an MkII and swore by it

24. Grateful Ed

So you think the Ortofon OM5e and not the 2M Red? The HD6 does not have a phono input. The U-Turn Pluto preamp seems to have pretty good specs for only an additional $79

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Used 90s Rega P3 with the purple elys cart and a used Rega Fono mini.... should be doable for $600... sl1200 is good too... old rega p2 is a good budget option.... dont buy a debut carbon...hummmm.... plenty disagree but i reckon the carbons arm particularly arm base is flimsy and its not got much of an upgrade path compared to the P3.

Brother_Rael and Grateful Ed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.