Entry level turntable recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grateful Ed, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Edward-

We'll be expecting some commentary as you get the rig broken in.:agree:

Grateful Ed likes this.
  2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If that is all you can afford right now, buy it and enjoy some tunes. Better can be had for 200 dollars, much better for 300 dollars. You can always upgrade later. Only you know what you can truly afford.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  3. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

And if you decide it ain't all that or you just get the upgrade bug, its value won't be zero. The worst that can happen is that you'll be living in a very decent rental house until you find the dream home.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  4. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Grateful Ed said:
    That's what I'm trying to get at. I'd like to hear some actual reasoning as to why I should avoid it. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with yours. Seems like the best deal under $100 to me..

Its true i have no experience with the Pluto however in my experience its a good idea to have your cart and phono stage worth around the same. You have a Bias 2 which is $165 on music direct at the moment, the Pluto is worth $89. The Rega Fono Mini is basically made to suit the Bias 2 and goes for around $150 at the cheapest. Both the Rega Mini and full size Fono have a very solid track record over a number of years from an established company as does the Gram Slee Communicator perhaps even more so than the Rega options.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  5. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for elaborating. That does make sense - I was not aware that price matching cartridge and phono stage was a good rule of thumb.

I already pushed my budget quite a bit with the performance pack (which I think was the most logical upgrade if I have to choose), and I just don't think more than $100 for a preamp is something I can swing right now. I'll likely go with the Pluto or the used NAD PP4 if it's still available (haven't heard back yet), and I can always return the Pluto if it's that bad. I just want something quickly, so I can actually listen to my turntable when it arrives!

Then I can take my time looking for good deals on used gear or really researching what I want. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to upgrade to the full size Rega Fono and then upgrade to the Elys when it's time to replace the Bias.

6. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

at $100 the Pluto is probably about as good as it gets buying new then if the review claims it beats out the Schiit... worth a try until you can upgrade

PhilBiker and Grateful Ed like this.
  7. Grateful Ed

Well the NAD PP4 is still available for $80 shipped. Found out right after I ordered the Pluto. I can always return the Pluto though (may be too late to cancel the order).

Anyone have any opinions on / experience with the PP4?

The Pluto still seems to have superior specs, but I know that white paper doesn't tell the whole story.

I don't have much interest in digitizing vinyl, so I'm only looking for input on the phono preamp section of the PP4.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions! Can't wait to get this all set up.

8. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Rega RP1 with upgrade kit

9. Grateful Ed

Have a Planar 1 with performance pack on the way!

WapatoWolf likes this.
  10. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

:righton:

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

If that Rega is not PERFECT when you set it up, box it up, send it back to the Brits and buy yourself a U-Turn. You'll save a buck or two, have wonderful sound, and U-Turn will actually care and respond with incredible service if you need anything post-purchase. Good luck and enjoy.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  12. Grateful Ed

Well I ended up shuffling some things around (with the girlfriend's approval, of course) and now have a small table to use for the turntable. I can now leave the dustcover on, and the turntable will be across the room from all the noisy electronics (wifi router, Apple TV, etc.) and speakers. The only downside is that I have to run a 25' rca cable from the phono preamp around the perimeter of the room to the HD6. I think it's a wise tradeoff though. I'll be ordering an 8m Audioquest Evergreen cable next week.

The turntable is out for delivery now! All set up just waiting to pop on my new mono copy of Bringing It All Back Home. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up with any ground loop hum since the turntable and preamp will be on a different outlet than the HD6..

13. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Some food for thought on the cables.

LC-1 Audio Cable Design Notes -- Blue Jeans Cable

Grateful Ed and patient_ot like this.
  14. Grateful Ed

I've used bluejeans in the past and really enjoyed them, but a 25' length is actually more expensive than an 8m Audioquest Evergreen ($95 plus shipping vs $84 shipped). Audioquest states that their cables are low capacitance which I understand is important for longer runs. Do you think the LC-1 is a better cable than the Evergreen?

15. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I probably wouldn't run a long interconnect off of a phono.

16. Grateful Ed

Why is that?

17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Possible hum or RFI. You may need shielded interconnects at that distance.

18. Grateful Ed

Right. I'll definitely be investing in either audioquest or bluejeans interconnects - both of which should be shielded enough, right?

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Not sure, you may want to ask before you order. I like and use Audioquest, but my longest interconnect is 2m, and its not on my phono input. My TT goes straight into my Yamaha amp. 8m is going to be custom made, so you most likely will be stuck with them whether they work or not. You may be fine, only way to find out for sure is try it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I wasn't doing any shopping for prices - just capacitance. You might cut capacitance in half with Blue Jeans cable. I have used Monoprice shielded coax intended for SPDIF or video for longer runs. It can be had very cheap. I haven't tried 8 meters, though.

PhilBiker and Grateful Ed like this.
  21. Grateful Ed

Crutchfield and Amazon both have 8m Evergreen cables listed. I would hope that if they make a cable that long they're confident that it will work well. Right now I'm just using a 25ft cheapo rca cable for car stereos and that hasn't given me any noticeable problems yet.

I do suspect I may have some IGD going on though. Hard to tell on Bringing it all Back Home because the mono mix has a somewhat distorted sound in places already.

Music Direct set up the table. Do they generally do a good job, or would it be wise to re-align the cartridge myself?

22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Can't remember, did you go with a Rega cartidge? If so, and they used all 3, there is zero chance of misalignement
    Not much too set up on an RP1 and Rega cart. Is it just on a couple of albums or everything

23. Grateful Ed

I got the performance pack, so they put the Rega Bias 2 on for me. Problem is, BIABH is the only record I have on hand.. nothing else has arrived yet, and I'm pretty much starting from scratch here.

The other problem is that the performance pack was supposed to come with an o ring to slide in front of the counter weight to set it in the correct spot (Rega's plug and play deal). Well the o ring didn't get included, so I just kind of estimated where I should put the counterweight based on the average size of an o ring. I don't have a stylus pressure gauge either..

24. Grateful Ed

Also, what do you mean by "If so, and they used all 3..." ?

25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Rega uses 3 mounting screws with their cartridges so that they are instantly aligned. As far as the rest.
    Stop right now and get that O-ring. You may be tracking at too low a force. This will caused IGD and record damage. I have a Planar 3, but it works the old fashioned way, not plug and play. You have to either use that oring, or get a stylus gage and do it the old way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.