Epos Elan loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by galone_es, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Can't really help you with your query but I had the Epos ES14 speakers years ago and they were fantastic. Might be worth posting on a few Hi-Forums etc...

3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I was recently in the market for new speakers and I gave the Epos ELan 35 serious consideration.
    Generally, Epos get good reviews. In the end I was unable to audition them and found another speaker which met my criteria and sounded great.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I haven't heard them but if I were in the market for speakers I'd probably order a pair.
    It seems to me the current Epos line is what we'd get if Harbeth made a good long-term investment in off-shore manufacturing. In other words, a speaker at half the price of what they are currently selling.

-M

bhazen and RonW like this.
  5. Logen

Logen New Member

I bought the Elan30 after benchmarking it with Epic5, Triangle Colour and KEFQ500. I found that Triangle Colour and Elan30 were a good match with each other but the Epos had better refinement and was cheaper. However, Elan30 is a little laid back where the instruments tend hang around at the back behind the vocals.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought a pair of the Epic 2's when they were half price because they are discontinued.

They are a very good speaker. I'm interested in the Elan versions but I have seen no reviews of the 10 or 15 anywhere.

It's really odd.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I found this youtube review of Elan 15, maybe you'll find it useful

galone_es likes this.
  8. Logen

Logen New Member

There is a review of Elan10 in the September 2013 issue of Hi-Fi Choice magazine. The gave it 5 stars with an Editor's Choice badge to go with it.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That sounds like something I would like. My preferred Grado cartridge has the same characteristic.

10. Hobbit13

Hobbit13 New Member

My father has the Epos ES12 in one of the last versions. Looks pretty similar to the Elan 15, but with a metal dome tweeter.

The ES12 is very relaxing, good soundstage, quite some bass from a small speaker, rather easy to drive. But they are not that involving, because they are not bright at all. That's good for background music, but can be rather boring for a listening session.

My father never regretted buying them, but I'm not jealous... in thit size/price class I would go for Totem Mights or second hand Totem Model One. But that is a matter of taste, Epos makes good speaker!

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've had the Mites. And I currently own Epic 2's. I'll take the Epos, by a wide margin.

bhazen likes this.
  12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I bought my Epos ES12 speakers in 1997 and I absolutely love them. I'm hoping they'll see me out. I thought at first they were a touch bass light (and I DO mean a touch), but with the addition of new mains cables for my CD player and amp (both Arcam) they give me a bottom end I didn't even know they were capable of. They sound so natural; I love my speakers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks 5-String for the quote. I have finally bought the Elan 15 loudspeakers. I have not yet listen to them since my CD player is at the technical service to have the oscillator replaced by a better one

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You 're welcome, enjoy your new speakers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.