Equipment rack suggestion - child proof

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by innocent_bystander, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident Thread Starter

Need suggestions for a equipment rack. Must be child proof, stable, and must accommodate turntable on top.
    Budget <$250 or could stretch out to $300.
    Equipment list marantz pm8005, sa8004 and plus a turntable.

TIA

2. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

A closet with a lock on the door?

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Childproof ?! Is there such a thing !?:laugh:

VinylRob, norman_frappe and fluffskul like this.
  4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Get something solid that won't tip over. Keep an eye on the child when near equipment and remind child to avoid. Put TT out of reach and anything else that is hot. Most tube amps come with cages.

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

7. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

I've been looking for the same thing. Other than the above suggestion of a closet (lol), the best idea I've heard is from an audiophile friend with kids: buy a few baby gates, connect them together, arrange them around your rack. Try to leave enough room to prevent little fingers from easily getting to sensitive/dangerous bits.

That's going to have to work, because I think it's important for my son to hear music and hear it sound good, so the stereo stays :)

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Get tubes. When my child was just a toddler, she went to the amp and before I could stop her she touched one of the pretty glowing tubes. That was the last time she went near the stereo.

Chad

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Wasn't too worried about my amp, but a wall mounted turntable shelf was deemed essential in the household. Or use the closet for the kids.

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I understand the desire to child proof it, yet I would be leery of any closed cabinet design from a sonic standpoint. And what it will cost you to isolate each component from that, will blow the budget for sure. I've never seen (heard) one that didn't become a big resonating cavern! I'm truly sorry to offer only skepticism, and no good solutions...

A wall mounted turntable shelf truly is a great idea, both for kid proofing and sonic concerns.

12. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

If by child-proof you mean stable and non-breakable, then a welded steel rack like from Target Audio (which I have) or others is rock solid, and with a tt on the top shelf to keep it safe from toddlers. I've also seen plenty of photos of stereos w/ child gates protecting them from inquisitive hands like 'subframe' suggested.

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

14 month old at home... did the unthinkable today... got rid of my equipment rack, with the nice isolating shelves and open front and put my amp, sacd player and TT on top of the china hutch. This makes it out of his reach for at least a couple more months. Sure, i'm worried about the little guy messing with some stuff i paid good money for, but more worried about him destroying his hearing. For some reason as soon as he gets to my equipment rack, he instinctively turns the volume up. And I have to be The Flash to catch the knob before he cranks it to the max. My speakers are modest, but I rarely listen above 50% and never do with him in the room. I have no doubt a blast of 100% would have the potential to cause hearing loss for someone right under the speakers. You can always replace equipment, but hearing loss can be permanent. And that's not something I could ever live with, especially considering how large a role music plays in our lives.

14. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

I was listening to some record or another on headphones the other day and had to throw the headphones off my head when my toddler cranked the volume up to the 5 o'clock position. Nearly blew my head off. Looked back and she had quite a devious smile on her face. I try to keep her away, though she always wants to turn on the amplifier or the phono preamp. She likes the growing blue light. I'm working on teaching her to be careful with the stereo and to only approach it when I'm around, seems to be sticking.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

I don't have a child, but I feel I understand the psychology of immaturity and assholeishness.

Build him or her a custom knob. Make it irresistible. Maybe a smooth ALPS attenuator glued to a Candy Land board bolted to a box.

not sure how to type a copyright sign on an ipad, but you're welcome

16. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

LOL.

You may not have a child but you have the thought process of a parent. My little guy loves to play with our cellphones, stereos, computers. etc. We've purchased him toy cellphones, stereos, computers.. that should look much more appealing to him than ours. The toys light up, they are more colorful, they sing songs, and still mimic the original... but no, toddlers don't want to play with their toys, they want to play with yours.

james likes this.
  17. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

18. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Hang from the ceiling?

19. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Colin M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.