********er Blues- has anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dead of night, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahax

Bahax New Member

I was there, too! The event itself was fun; the movie... well, it is what it is.

I recall the Boston Phoenix ran a review, from a vhs dub of the movie, the week or so before the showing. Robert Frank got pissed off, thinking the theater had made the copy, and he went there and was going to yank the print, and cancel the show, but they cooled him down somehow.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I saw this in the theatre years ago and I thought it was great. A DVD release is way overdue.

3. loucope

loucope Forum Resident

I've always half jokingly referred to this moment as "The Invention of the Modern Rock Star". It's precious.

4. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I saw this at the Whitney Museum in '95. Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth was behind me on line. I remember feeling pretty embarrassed having to say the name of the title to the person behind the counter. The movie itself is pretty decent, great performance of "Happy." Great Stevie Wonder cameo too.

5. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

I think the movie was supposed to be a documentary of the tour. The fact is, there are lots of boring offstage moments of hanging around, waiting, etc., which don't make for exciting viewing. Stones shows were only 75 minutes then, which leaves almost 23 hours offstage per day.

I believe the concert footage is totally different to "Ladies and Gentlemen," shot later in the tour. The Uptight/Satisfaction medley was only done at the end of the tour, which is why it isn't in L&G.

I don't think either '72 tour movie will be released while the Stones are an active band. Mick J. claims to have no interest in the past, while performing mostly 30+ year old songs in concert.

Dave

6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I haven't seen it, but is this the film that was criticised for showing mostly Mick and very little of the other Stones?

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I can't see The Stones, particularly Jagger, allow this to happen without litigation.

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I saw an atrocious Nth-generation VHS copy in 1988. It could use a good voice-over from an experienced narrator or some running commentary from the guilty parties to help it move along.

9. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

If you were to judge strictly by screen-time, you wouldn't know that Charlie and Bill were even in the Stones at the time this movie was shot. Charlie is shown a handful of times and Wyman only once or twice. Mostly Jagger and Keef and Taylor whenever he takes a solo.

It's (Ladies & Gentlemen) still an absolutely brilliant document of the Stones in '72 and definitely deserves an official release. C*******er Blues, on the other hand, can remain unreleased as far as I'm concerned although its concert footage would make for good bonus features on the official DVD release of Ladies & Gentlemen, if and when that ever materializes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.