Erasing Tape: Is there any advantage when you have an erase head on the deck?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I remember reading somewhere that if you want to get the best quality out of a tape that already has recording on it is to erase it -- using an electric tape eraser -- before re-recording over it.

But, as in the case of the 3-head Nakamichi cassette deck I have, there's already an erase head at the front (left, actually) of the head array that does that anyway.

So are we dealing with audio myth here with tape erasing using a dedicated eraser or is there something to it?

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There's a little truth to it. On very high end decks (or as close to a best case scenario as you can get) there's no need, in a real world situation there are other variables - head alignment, tape tension, recording level, tape formulation, etc. in any case, a. It doesn't hurt and B. You probably don't want to be recording over old tape anyhow. If someone is using tape as a professional, they can probably afford new tape, or one would hope.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Well, I don't think anything was said in the question about the tape being used as a professional, so the B response is irrelevant. I personally prefer a good strong bulk eraser for reusing tape (but I would never reuse them more than once or twice), but a dedicated erase head is better than a two head system (but, again, I would never use a tape more than one or two times).

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I bought a bulk eraser for like $15 on eBay and I use it on every tape that has something on it before I record. It decreases the likelihood of dropouts.

5. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I've had erase heads that would leave behind a swoosh swoosh white noise rather than clean the tape thoroughly, or even fail altogether. Bulk is good, making sure to keep it far away from other magnetic media sources,,,

6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

An advantage of bulk erasing first is that unused parts of the tape will be cleared of any pre-existing sound.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I prefer new tape regardless, but a bulk can be useful on used tape if used properly, but really I found no advantage to a deck with a good erase head.

IMO virgin tape is the only way to fly.

8. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have recorded on cassettes for many years using my Nakamichi cassette decks, and now on open reel, using my Otari. I re-use tape quite often, but I try to always bulk erase first. The starting and stopping of the tape during recording may allow some remnants of the previous recording to be incompltely erased by the erase head, so there is just no reason to take that chance. It is VERY easy to pass a bulk eraser over the tape before starting the new recording project.

Mister Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.