Eric Bloom talks Blue Oyster Cult's studio albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

thanks, good article

Holy Diver likes this.
  3. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Will re-read this as I go through the Columbia Years CD box set in the next few days. BOC was the headliner of the first rock show I ever went to see. Love many of the Cult's albums, and the tales in this interview/slideshow are excellent. Thank you for the link, @Holy Diver!

keyXVII and Holy Diver like this.
  4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks. Enjoyed it.

Holy Diver likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he should talk about new material

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Good stuff....thanks.

Holy Diver likes this.
  7. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Thank you! Nice read...

8. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Cheers for the link.

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nice to see he counts Cultosaurus Erectus as one of their better albums, because it is. :D

10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'd be in for a new BOC album! COTHM was good and Heaven Forbid was great!

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  11. Nod

Nod Forum Resident

This was a great little article. one of my favorite bands over the past 30 years or so.

thanks for the link

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Nice article, thanks for the link!

13. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

14. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

head_unit, Holy Diver and Gumboo like this.
  15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Now all we need is :

Eric Bloom talks Blue Oyster Cult's NEW studio album..................

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

More likely it would be Buck talkin' about it, since he probably would be writing like 80% of it. Sucks that (I guess) they just don't feel it is worth the effort to do a new album. Someone as prolific writing great songs like Buck probably has hundreds of song demos already just sitting around, or even more rattling around in his brain.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

jeffrey walsh and Heepster like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Everything they did from Tyranny to Revolution stands the test of time.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

No matter how much I try I can't get into anything BÖC did (studio wise) post Fire of Unknown Origin. There's a smattering of decent tunes like Take Me Away and Dancin' in the Ruins, but overall the band's output really suffered after the firing of Albert Bouchard. And they're one of my favorite bands.

So it doesn't pain me too much that there will probably never be another BÖC studio album. Alan's gone, Albert was fired long ago, and Joe left awhile ago too. Buck's a great guitarist and Eric did some great work with the band, but let's face it - this ain't the garden of eden and this ain't the summer of love. Still, the old music lives on and I'm ok with that..

20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'd argue everything they did stands the test of time, except for Club Ninja and Bad Channels. And even then I like the two actual BOC tracks on Bad Channels.

No Static likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Revolution by Night is pretty bad, too.

I kind of agree that the time for new music has probably come and gone. If BÖC did anything now it'd be more Richie Castellano influenced than anyone else. That might not be a bad thing as he's a very talented musician but I just don't see Roeser or Bloom having much left in the tank writing wise; especially Bloom.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

No love for Heaven Forbid?

At the least, Harvest Moon is a great addition to their list of classic songs. I think it might be the second-best song Buck's ever written, after The Reaper.

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

As with most classic rock bands of this period, there is no incentive for BOC to write or record new material. I wonder how well off they are? Do they still need to tour, or do they stay on the road just for kicks?

I'll admit to having heard virtually no BOC after RBN, which I remember as an OK-ish album without a standout track. From what I read, I"m not missing much, though I'm curious about Imaginos.....

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If nothing else, this article makes me wish we could get some more deep background on the creation of these albums from all involved. BOC deserves something akin to the Alice Cooper or Rush biopics... Though kindly tell the creators to dig deeper into the music this time!

25. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Saw a thing on Audience Channel several months ago where they were playing "Agents..." in its entirety (with Albert!) and Buck was asked the touring question. He said they still genuinely enjoy touring and besides, what else would they do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.