Eric Clapton Give Me Strength 74/75 Sessions (6 CDs Boxset)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pro beatles, Sep 23, 2013.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I would welcome a deluxe version of Just One Night that includes all songs played on both nights.

Best Buy used to have some great bonus discs - this was one of the better ones!

2. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Hello,

Yes Know about it. but, Difference between the sound quality. and they have different Seasion Out-Takes

3. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

What is the difference between Eric clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard version?
    SHM-CD Deluxe Edition 2CD UICY-93630/1 & Give Me Strength Expanded Version CD 1 UICY-75995 ?
    Difference between the sound quality. and they have different Seasion Out-Takes

4. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Strange - seems there will be no Clapton archival release this year for the holiday season? I've gotten used to having some new material this time of year...

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

He is putting out a live dvd.

6. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

7. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Looking forward to it ... was hoping for something more along the lines of the Slowhand and Give Me Strength boxes. Still need to cover No Reason to Cry and Backless from the 70s. Would also love an expanded Rainbow Concert.

Chris Haley likes this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hi, could you advise please.

What's your opinion on Give Me Strength '74 - '75 - 2 CD. Especially interested in "There's ...." album. Good remaster, not compressed to death, brickwalled? Read some good reviews. Thanks, Adam

9. Sander

Sander Senior Member

My 2 cents:

For a modern remastering job SQ is nice, however compared to earlier (80s) releases the sound is less dynamic and a little bit louder. This seems to be confirmed by the numbers in the dynamic range database. Soundwise I think there are better options available for the main albums; I prefer the WG RSO for There's One in Every Crowd (and the MFSL Gold CD, the 1st WG RSO and the SHM-SACD for 461 Ocean Boulevard). For me, the Give Me Strength 74/75 6 CD Boxset remains interesting for the couple of previously unreleased outtakes and live tracks and the Freddie King Sessions.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love that set. I've always loved the original albums contained therein, and the bonus tracks and multichannel mixes are delicious.

DoF likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I haven't read through this thread but is there a known issue with the Blu-ray disc from the Give Me Strength box set? The Blu-ray in my set has rough edges on the outside edge and makes odd noises when first put in my Oppo. Sometimes the menu comes up incomplete and I have to stop and restart the disc to get the full menu. I just ejected the Blu-ray as it locked up on one of the last tracks on There's One In Every Crowd quad mix. I cleaned the disc with some mild soap and it's playing fine now.

This is an excellent set and I really enjoy it! The booklet with all the liner notes are great. The 461 Ocean Boulevard 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner and the quad mixes are awesome!

Bill

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  12. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

This set ranks among the very classic ever. Fantastic

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Anybody any thoughts on the 3 album vinyl set?

14. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yep, great set. No complaints from me. What's next from the archives? I suspect nothing immediately with EC having a new album out. But after that there must be something due later this year or possible next???

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The new album's coming out in May and so we can hope for next archival release around the holiday season (as usual). Perhaps 40th anniversary of No Reason To Cry.....

16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

rstamberg likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Would be nice but I still think unlikely. Too many outtakes feature other acts and need either the act (Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison etc.) or their labels approval from what is already known as being alcohol and substance fuelled sessions. Out of what's left in the studio vaults from the 70's its the one I'd want to hear the most but I just can't see it ever happening. Or certainly not releasing everything. Perhaps only the Clapton lead outtakes. We shall see.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The Freddie King Sessions are on the Freddie King Texas Flyeer (74-76) box set.

19. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

IIRC, Texas Flyer used a different take of Boogie Funk and a heavily edited Gambling Woman Blues.

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So it appears.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No issues with my Blu-ray Disc.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! By the time I noticed the issue with the Blu-ray it was well past the point of a return. Even if I did want to pursue a replacement I can't remember where I bought the set from.

Bill

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

THERE'S INE IN EVERY CROWD has been a favorite of mine since April 1975. "We've Been Told," "Little Rachel," and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" make for a three-song album opener that knocks me out every time I play it. Jamie Oldaker's drums on THERE'S INE IN EVERY CROWD are sublime. He plays so well on this album and they are recorded beautifully ... I also love the photo of Eric on the back cover. I'd never seen him with a Gibson Flying V guitar before! THERE'S INE IN EVERY CROWDgot such bad reviews upon its release that it's had a bad reputation ever since, partially due to a backlash from coming off the mucho popular 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD so fast after three years of no records. I love the DTS disc for THERE'S INE IN EVERY CROWD, too. Then he released EC WAS HERE, which is quite likely my favorite of all Eric Clapton's solo live albums. A single disc, no less. All killer, ...

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Have you cleaned off your disc or tried it in another player?

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did clean it and it didn't hang up where it had earlier. But when I first put the Blu-ray and hit play there is a audible noise almost a rattling sound till the menu comes up. The disc is definitely defective in my opinion due to the edges of the disc having such rough edges.

Bill