Eric Clapton Give Me Strength 74/75 Sessions (6 CDs Boxset)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pro beatles, Sep 23, 2013.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I would be contacting Polydor, perhaps through their Facebook: Polydor ยป

2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Yeah! And that female voice on the first track - i got 4 speakers in my system so it embrances me, antyway i'm a new to eric Clapton's music, do not understand why there's one... had bad reputation, the music on the album is simply great, esp., in this pressing

rstamberg and Almost Simon like this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

It is a lovely album. Took me a while to fall for it, especially after hearing the quality of 461OB but it is very nice. Better Make It Through Today is a highlight for me. And the outtakes left off the album were also great. I made my own amended version of the album on an ipod playlist, this isn't to say the tracks that were removed are bad but just an alternate There's One In Every Crowd:

Side A:

1. I Found A Love
    2. We've Been Told (Jesus Is Coming Soon)
    3. Don't Blame Me
    4. The Sky Is Crying
    5. Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Side B:

1. High
    2. Better Make It Through Today (vinyl LP version 04:24)
    3. (When Things Go Wrong) It Hurts Me Too
    4. Pretty Blue Eyes
    5. Opposites

(42:37)

Hep Alien, rstamberg and DoF like this.
  4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think actually it's a different take of Sugar Sweet. The Give Me Strength set has the 4:06 version that was originally on the 1934-1976 Freddie King album. There is also a 2:51 alternate version that was on the Burglar album.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

You have to fit Singin The Blues in there somewhere.

rstamberg likes this.
  6. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

I don't have it in front of me, but didn't Texas Flyer include both of these?

7. revolution_vanderbilt

Probably, but my point was that Give Me Strength doesn't.

rgutter likes this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Today EC debut arrived, he had a different voice back in the beggining, nice. I knew about EC existence for years, but discovered his music just a month ago while looking for good reference recordings for my new hi-fi system. I am glad because there's so much new music to come for me.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  9. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Are there any plans to do a deluxe of the No Reason to Cry era material ?

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Eric was definitely mimicking Delaney Bramlett's upper-register vocal style throughout ERIC CLAPTON (his debut solo album). He's admitted as much.
    If you wanna hear some great Clapton falsetto singing -- proving he's lost none of his singing voice over the years -- find his take on "You Must Believe Me," from the 1994 compilation devoted to the song's composer, Curtis Mayfield. Excellent, really, truly excellent.

DoF likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Not a fave of mine but if we can manage the vinyl length going over 45mins I suppose we can include it ;)

rstamberg likes this.
  12. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Pulled this out last night and blew through both discs of EC Was Here...fantastic! Freddie King disc today. Again, fantastic...beautiful set...reread the book last night, as well...great stuff...if you don't have it, and you're a fan of this period, a very classy looking, and beautiful sounding set.

13. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

FYI: I just listened and compared the track Little Wing from the Long Beach, 20th July recording with a soundboard tape. On the Give Me Strength box, the trimmed 1 minute of the final guitar solo from the track! On the Mid Valley release "Bluex Explorer" it runs for 9:48 and on Give Me Strength it runs for 8:57.

It could have fit on the CD, makes me wonder why they decided to cut it.

rgutter likes this.
  14. jdw

jdw Senior Member

That's a good catch. Thank you/dank ye.

Strangely enough, "Little Wing" on the 'Crossroads 2: Live In The Seventies" box set (Polygram, 1995) is ALSO edited. In that case (Hammersmith Odeon December 4 1974), the producers edited out 3 minutes and 50 seconds, starting at 5:55 into the track. I am normally 100% against doing this sort of thing, but in comparison to the raw soundboard producer Bill Levenson actually improved the track with the edit. IMHO. What's left is 100% killer/no filler.

Either way, it's one of my favourite Clapton performances. Gives me shivers every time...

John
    (admits to now being 99% against doing this sort of thing)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder if anyone reading this thread is curious about " There's One is Every Crowd". I'm not a huge Clapton fan, but it just knocked me out. Great songs, cool arrangements, committed singing. As mentioned the opening trio is an intense blast of music, and the second side works almost as a suite. It seems to me Clapton put some real thought into this album. And, yeah, the outtakes are just as good.

hiterss, jason202, gramfan and 2 others like this.
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Same here, never heard the album prior to this reissue and it's an enjoyable listen.

gramfan likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

It was with this set that I first heard both 461 and There's One In Every Crowd. I prefer the latter. Plenty of very strong songs that I keep returning to. 461 is pretty close to it though.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is an underrated gem in the Clapton catalogue that often seems to be overlooked.

fredblue likes this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Good album, I like it. The cover artwork didn't exactly inspire one to purchase when this came out.

RiRiIII likes this.
  20. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

There's a lot more from the Hammersmith Odeon December 4 + 5 1974 recordings to be found on the 2nd disc of the 461 Ocean Boulevard Deluxe Edition. I'm pretty this is well known, but just in case.

Its just too bad they didn't put an entire live show on there, but we can't complain!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

and you can buy this disc separately as the "Rarities" edition

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

True. About the most UNrepresentative cover ever.

23. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Popmarket currently has the vinyl box set on sale for $34.99. Not a bad deal!

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had trouble again today playing the Blu-ray on my Oppo 103. The disc spins continuously with a rattling/clicking noise and won't come out of the "pop up menu" mode on the 103's display. I tried playing the Blu-ray on my 105D and it loaded and plays fine. Odd how it won't play on the 103 but will play on the 105D. I believe both players have the same FW. I'll have to check to see which FW versions each players have. I'm not aware of the 105D having a better transport than the 103.

25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Down to $29.99 for the next hour!