Eric Clapton "Happy Xmas" (10/02/18)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Blame Dylan for this. He opened the gateway to 'credible' artists recording Christmas albums.....

2. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

Recording. Promo. Videos. "Content". Sounds like hassle to me!

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

James Taylor had an interesting bluesy take on Jingle Bells that's on my annual Christmas playlist. I'm sure Clapton will do something different with it too.

JulesRules and Fullbug like this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Why does a X-mas album need a double 45 RPM release is beyond me.

Renato975 and Fullbug like this.
  5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Based on the album title, the artwork, and the tracklist, I assumed that this was a story in The Onion.

Lost In The Flood and Blue Note like this.
  6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

For me, Eric’s last four albums have been quite good with eclectic mix of tracks (some blues, some standards, some JJ originals, etc.). There is nothing outstanding about them but that’s not what I expect from Eric at this point. He seems happy making that type of music and I have enjoyed most of it.

My guess is that this won’t be a straight off Xmas record, I would expect some different arrangements and obviously some tasty guitar here and there.

Also wonder if this is same album that Eric asked Jamie Oldaker to guest on....perhaps there’s been more than one album under construction and this is the first of them. This seems like something Eric wants to do (for his own family than anyone else) and he wants to get it done before it’s too late for him.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And yet, here you are on a forum built around sound quality. Hey @noname74 ...thought you could use a laugh, come here.

aoxomoxoa and noname74 like this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

He released this in late November/ early December (can't remember exactly) and nobody complained! :D

[​IMG]

9. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

At least he's not setting up camp in Vegas like Steven Tyler & Aerosmith.

10. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Yeah but different topics get discussed here not only sound quality.

Again. A Christmas album on 2 x 45 RPM discs? amazingm

11. Myke

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Keep in mind that he records for a label which had great success with three Christmas albums by Brian Setzer.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

He's only been here 5 years...how is he to know this place is about sound quality in that short a time frame?:evil:

Myke likes this.
  14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Hmmmmmmm....er...no.
    The term Happy Christmas and its very common usage in England began with Queen Elizabeth II when she used the term "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas" in her annual holiday messages she began giving in the 1950s. Or this is what the internet says anyway.
    I am assuming that both Eric and John used the term when they were growing up but of course perhaps someone from the UK can indeed confirm if the phrase was very common in the 1950s and later.
    I hear the term every now than then when I watch those BBC shows they play over here on America BBC and PBS.

15. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  16. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

It's a little early. Couldn't they wait til Halloween?

17. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Lots of nastiness in another thread. If you're looking forward to EC's album as you say, don't go there.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I like both Eric and Christmas music so I can't wait to hear this! :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Looks great if you enjoy giving money to a man who is doing the barest minimum to earn it.

painted8 likes this.
  21. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

You've already heard it? Bummer it sucks. Sure I'll buy it anyway. I have a thing for Christmas music. Have a stash that I rotate throughout the season -- Crosby, Sinatra, Elvis, Dylan even. Especially Dylan. Also like Jimmy Buffett's Christmas Island. The Brian Setzer Orchestra has a rockin' good one out. One of my favorites is Aimee Mann's One More Drifter in the Snow. Be nice to hear modern-day EC's phrasing on these tunes.

goodboyfred likes this.
  22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Some more info from the press release:

“I had in my head that these holiday songs could be done with a slight blues tinge, and I started to figure out how to play the blues lines in between the vocals,” Clapton told Billboard.

“I got it down and one of the most identifiable songs on the album, the one that became the foundational style, is ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.'”

The 14-track album boasts popular seasonal favorites like “White Christmas” and “Silent Night” alongside lesser-known Christmas songs and one Clapton-penned original, “For Love on Christmas Day.” Clapton’s rendition of the standard “Jingle Bells” also carries the parenthetical “In Memory of Avicii.”

So it’s going to be Christmas Album with a Blues Tinge, now that could be interesting....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Almost Simon, Myke and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. Myke

24. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Curious about his relation to Avicii.

25. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I don't get all the negative reactions to a Christmas album. Credible artists? You mean like Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Oscar Peterson, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Brenda Lee, Phil Spector (and artists), Booker T. & The MG's, Peggy Lee, The Beach Boys, James Brown, Bobby Darin, Ella Fitzgerald and tons of others who have all released Christmas albums? Or how about tons of others who released Christmas songs on singles and compilation albums like John Lennon, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Chuck Berry, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Albert King, Isaac Hayes, Lena Horne, Solomon Burke, Sonny Boy Williamson, Marvin Gaye, Louis Armstrong plus many, many more? None of these artists ever lost any credibility for releasing Christmas material, and neither will Eric Clapton. If you have a problem with it, just don't buy it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Linolad, RSteven, dylankicks and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.