Eric Clapton "Happy Xmas" (10/02/18)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And when I do compare with Discogs, I again count 20.

The article that starts this thread states 24 for the Christmas album, but it's likely using Wiki's numbers.

2. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

"Happy Xmas" - really? "Xmas" ? He should've stuck with that theme and instead of the new song being titled “For Love On Christmas Day”, it should have been “For Love On Xmas Day”.

Pierino likes this.
  3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I guess it depends on what one considers "the barest minimum".... I assume you've heard that Clapton has a degenerative disease called peripheral neuropathy, as well as increasing deafness. This is what he said in an interview in 2015 with Classic Rock magazine: “You feel like you have electric shocks going down your leg.” The condition, which affects nerves in the body’s extremities and can cause numbness, shooting pains and loss of co-ordination, is making it hard for him to play.

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Super Deluxe version

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Cover art drawn by Clapton

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Deluxe Edition

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

fer2 likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's a history of that. Ever see the cover art for From The Cradle? Awesome EC picture-taking skills!

9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Seriously this must be a joke?
    It's as serious as Roger Waters recording a Cover CD of Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Clapton expert Marc Roberty has it posted on his Facebook page.

11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'm not denying your post. I am just extremely stunned about this

Lost In The Flood and John Fell like this.
  12. Vaughan

And why would that be? Tell me. Go on. Say it. :D

[​IMG]

13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Think the standard cd version will do for me. I'm not a fan of (or really setup for,) 45 rpm vinyl pressings, cd will do me fine. Really looking forward to hearing a taster track.

14. Almost Simon

Perhaps Anyone for Tennis is the only previous Eric song that mentions Christmas. I'd certainly be up for a remake of this as an extra track. However unlikely.

And the ice creams are all melting on the streets of bloody beer
    While beggars stain the pavement with fluorescent Christmas cheer
    And the Bentley driving guru is putting up his price.
    Anyone for tennis, wouldn't that be nice?

Ignatius likes this.
  15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

This is already out in Australia. I saw a copy yesterday (and wasn't the least bit tempted).

16. Almost Simon

Think I'd struggle to get enthused and handover my cash for a Christmas album in the middle of August. But come October i'll be up for it.

How can it be out already? That's strange.

17. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Maybe it's only the vinyl that's out now?
    Or it could be a marketing ploy for the rather large British- and American expat community here, since to us it feels like Christmastime out there (today was the coldest day of the year in Melbourne.)

Almost Simon likes this.
  18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

October, really? All Christmas (Xmas) related stuff should be banned until Dec 1st (or preferably later), you can then decide whether you want to plug your lovely "HD Drive Ornament" into your receiver, or put it on the tree ...

Lost In The Flood and Vaughan like this.
  19. Almost Simon

Fair point

Its just the selling windows for Christmas albums is so small that its expected to be released that early. Doesn't mean i'll be playing it then, I tend to start beginning of December myself with any sort of Christmas music.

adm62 likes this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yeah, as most albums these days sell most copies in the first week of release I find that this release date is counterproductive. However, it is probably down to other product taking preference. Most people will be listening to it on Spotify or Apple Music these days anyway.

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

22. Vaughan

Looking at the Super Deluxe Edition, I'm pretty sure it was designed by Spotify to ridicule physical sales.

Galley likes this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Maybe he just enjoys playing the Christmas songs and at this point in his career he just does what he wants.

But, if Eric is a true bluesman wouldn't "Miserable Christmas" be a more appropriate title ?

Can a bluesman actually admit happiness ? :D

reb likes this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'm amazed that Surfdog builds their "super deluxe" editions around CD's not vinyl. Same deal with the Brian Setzer album-- You got all sorts of Christmas trinkets and a CD, in a vinyl sized box with NO vinyl. Who do they think the collectors are?

groundharp likes this.
  25. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Yeah, I noticed that too. Eric's editor (or proofreaders) probably had to do a lot of corrections of misspelled words for his autobiography (which I haven't read yet, but I've just borrowed a friend's copy -- I'll see if it's as awful as my friend {and some of the members here at SHF} say).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.