Eric Clapton - Life In 12 Bars (Documentary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DreamIsOver, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What is the date and venue for the live Spoonful plus total duration please?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

$$$

Little Wing wasn't released on In Concert. Live At The Fillmore had the 10/23/70 late performance, which I believe had previously been issued on a flexi disc from Guitar Player magazine. This is the 10/24/70 late performance, which was not previously officially released.

The 10/23/70 early performance remains unreleased officially.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

One item I do remember watching and being shocked by was Eric in the Hendrix movie from the early 70's. It was clearly filmed during his "off" period 1971/2 when he was home in Surrey on heroin - he didn't look healthy, eyes all glazed. Just wondered if people are suggesting you get to see Eric at his worst if they showed any of those clips in the Life in 12 Bars doc?

The more I hear about it the more im less inclined to think of it being about the music, should really consider it for what it is. I will have to order this and watch soon.

4. Almost Simon

October 19th, 1968, LA Forum, 17:26

5. Almost Simon

Damn shame, they could've made a box set out of that.......................

Wait a minute?? Maybe a future super deluxe? Who knows.

Tim 2 and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've been listening to the Delaney and Bonnie and Friends On Tour box, and I love when Delaney mentions that Eric will have an album called "Eric Clapton Sings."

I'd love a 3 disc version of the self-titled album. I'm sure they could come up with some good material to pad out a disc 3, aside from Clapton's mix of the album.

7. All Down The Line

Yes i have the Little Wing flexi disc and it is the same recording as on the 90's CD Live At The Fillmore.
    You can easily tell the difference as Bobby Whitlock's organ completely cuts out after a verse or more not to return if i remember correctly.
    What is the duration of this cut?
    This should not be the case for this version of Little Wing being released.

8. All Down The Line

Cool, another thing that may sway me to the soundtrack yet. I wish i could find a b**t cd of that entire show though!

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would very much like to see the EC mix get a full reissue, along with a few other alternate mixes, but I'm not sure how marketable 3 different mixes of the same set of songs is, especially if there's a premium price for them.

I'm not sure if there's a ton that isn't already on the Deluxe Edition. There's Clapton's mix, a handful of slightly different alternate mixes (I believe these are also Clapton's, but not sure), and the Tom Dowd mixes for a handful of songs with complete fades. Those were officially issued in the UK and possibly in the US as well before being shortened. Presumably those would just be the default versions, though.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There's an instrumental take of Where There's A Will, There's A Way that supposedly hails from the sessions. Plus, Delaney and Bonnie's studio version of Only You Know And I Know, which has now been confirmed to feature Clapton and was recorded at the same session as Coming Home/Groupie. It would also be nice if they used the full versions of the applicable Tom Dowd mixes instead of the shorter ones.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

Its easy to see why this version wasn't released before, but at the same time that doesn't mean its bad. Intro from Ginger speaking through his drum mic. And that weird interferrance, still not clear what that is. Sounds like one of the audience announcements from Woodstock played through a marshall stack.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  12. Almost Simon

Yes, I can see that, you'd need some live material and that's already on the D&B live box.

Seems a miss, a 3cd deluxe edition first time around would have been better but that time has passed.

Does again come back to what the next super deluxe edition will be, from Claptons back catalogue. Assuming now it maybe Wheels of Fire if they do have more live recorded as per the unreleased Spoonful on this set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I don't think that those specific clips are used but there is footage of him taking drugs, and looking and sounding in a bad way.

14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I thought the CD compilation sounded fantastic!

15. Almost Simon

No issues with the sound, in fact though Presence of the Lord sounded very good on my player. I think i'll be cherry picking the best unreleased songs from this cd for my Clapton playlist, which is overdue an update.

Matthew Tate and Tuck1977 like this.
  16. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Luke, would you be able to edit this great listing and post from 16 months ago or is it just a matter of changing the Late Show 10/24 Little Wing to official and everything else is the same from before?

Derek & The Dominos -In Concert Question

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Correct.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Listening to the 2 CD soundtrack right now. Previously unreleased Cream. :hugs: < sigh >

19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The first time I saw the Joe Boyd Hendrix movie (mid-80's), I didn't know much about when it was made or how they caught the interviewees - Eric just seemed a bit laid back, to my naive eyes!

The more I think about it since, given what we know about Eric's condition in that period, the more extraordinary it is that they even managed to grab an interview with him in the first place - considering what rough shape he was in**, it's amazing they got something as usable as they did.

(**NB. Do we know when Eric's interview was filmed? In appearance, he looks closer to Derek-era than his Rainbow concert & it appears to be Spring/Summer, so I'd guess it was Summer '71 - that said, we have no photos of him in '72 that I'm aware of & most of the other major talking heads in that film look closer to their '72 selves, so who knows??)

20. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

I am not worried a about this radio interference or whatever it is mid Spoonful, Clapton was "on" this night 'nuff said!

22. Almost Simon

I assumed it was his garden in Surrey.

23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I've listened to that section several times. It sounds like the stage announcer trying to get people to sit down. "Please take your seats - NOW. That's it. Thank you!" It goes on for about 45 seconds or so.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

Your hearing is better than mine. Definitely adds to the atmosphere of the song. I like more each time I hear it. Does also get me intrigued for any future Cream super deluxe box.

Mike Dow, James RD and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Almost Simon

Its Fathers day on Sunday and just been asked what gifts I would be interested in.

I suggested Life in 12 Bars bluray so here's hoping:cool:

danielbravo and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.